Author Topic: So about Gundarakite weapons  (Read 4137 times)

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
So about Gundarakite weapons
« on: December 31, 2015, 02:15:10 PM »
I haven't been able to find a comprehensive list of what is and isn't kosher for Gundarakites. I know they say weapons no bigger than a dagger, but IIRC there are exceptions made for farm tools and things, right? So where does that leave things like scythes, wood axes, bows? Is there any way to get a DM ruling on what's good and what's not, or is it entirely up to the Garda PCs to figure that one out and enforce it on the fly?
: )

Olywynn

• Likes to say "Nyeh heh heh!"
  • Dark Lord
  • Nyeh heh heh!
Re: So about Gundarakite weapons
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 02:19:05 PM »
Gundarakites may recieve the right to use larger weapons as tools, via the Garda.

For instance, my Gundarakite (now an NPC) uses a greataxe (large lumber axe).  Don't expect to get the right to use a sword or traditional weapon, unless the new Countess changes the laws of the burgomeisters/boyars.  Axes, hammers, and the like are well within the possibility of earning a permit.

However, if you have a permit and commit crime, you'll be treated much more harshly.  You betrayed the government's trust.

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 02:28:18 PM »
I don't see how a Gundarakite could "receive the right" to use tools like scythes, pitchforks and woodaxes, realistically, you figure there's an entire county of them out there trying to farm. It'd be literally impossible for them to do that with hand tools.

I just made a list of all of the non-CEP weapons and what I'd consider to be reasonable rulings on whether they'd be acceptable. ? = don't really know whether they'd be allowed or not, * would be allowed after the fact by the Garda.

Spoiler: "Consolidated Gundarakite Weapon List" • show
club - ?
dagger - Y
mace - N
sickle - Y?
spear - N
morningstar - N
quarterstaff - ?
light crossbow - N
heavy crossbow - N
dart - N
sling - Y
battleaxe - N*
greataxe - N*
greatsword - N
halberd - N
handaxe - Y?
heavy flail - N
light flail - N
light hammer - Y?
longbow - N?
longsword - N
rapier - N
scimitar - N
shortsword - N
shortbow - Y?
throwing axe - Y?
trident - Y?
warhammer - N
bastard sword - N
dire mace - N
dwarven waraxe - N
double axe - N
kama - Y?
katana - N
kukri - N
scythe - N*
shuriken - N
whip - N
two-bladed sword - N

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 02:54:08 PM »
From what I've understood when playing my gundarakite, farming tools are permitted, but weapons aren't. A scythe, sickle, pitch fork, hoe and such are alright I think
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 03:04:58 PM »
The "no bigger than a dagger" thing is only for the annexed territories in the west -- Zeidenburg and Teufeldorf-- areas not currently represented on the server.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Geiger

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 03:28:31 PM »
The "no bigger than a dagger" thing is only for the annexed territories in the west -- Zeidenburg and Teufeldorf-- areas not currently represented on the server.

We also have laws about it in Vallaki.

http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=39860

Gundarakites have relatively minor restrictions placed on them due to server history / Barovian themes. Vallaki law defines what a Gundarakite "free person", ie a PC, is allowed to have on them without a permit. Law X. It covers things such as tools... so long as they're being used as tools, as well.

Aside from that folks - you can always break the law! :D

Quote from: Vallaki Law
X. Those of Gundarakite origin who are freemen may carry arms in Vallaki should they be proven trustworthy by an officer in the garrison, Lance Corporal or higher, as well as be subject to any additional requirements at the discretion of that officer. Those found to be in breach of this trust or to have broken any law shall have this privilege stripped from them. Those found to have used these arms to harm Vallaki or Barovia shall be put to death. Those who do not otherwise have this trust may only carry a dagger for defense, shortbows for hunting game, staves for walking and tools of trade such as scythes, sickles, woodaxes, hammers, and grain flails.

XI. All Gundarakites must speak either Balok or the Common Tongue. Any Gundarakite caught speaking Luktar shall be on the first offense fined 50 wolf fang, on the second offense given 10 strikes with a rod as well as an 100 wolf fang fine, with any additional offense to be punished at the discretion of the garrison of Vallaki.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 03:32:17 PM by DM Treason »

booksarefun666

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 03:30:21 PM »
I do recall gundarkites can use shortbows but not longbows since that is specifically a siege weapon.

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 03:33:41 PM »

Gundarakites have relatively minor restrictions placed on them due to server history / Barovian themes. Vallaki law defines what a Gundarakite "free person", ie a PC, is allowed to have on them without a permit. Law X. It covers things such as tools... so long as they're being used as tools, as well.

X. Those of Gundarakite origin who are freemen may carry arms in Vallaki should they be proven trustworthy by an officer in the garrison, Lance Corporal or higher, as well as be subject to any additional requirements at the discretion of that officer. Those found to be in breach of this trust or to have broken any law shall have this privilege stripped from them. Those found to have used these arms to harm Vallaki or Barovia shall be put to death. Those who do not otherwise have this trust may only carry a dagger for defense, shortbows for hunting game, staves for walking and tools of trade such as scythes, sickles, woodaxes, hammers, and grain flails.

XI. All Gundarakites must speak either Balok or the Common Tongue. Any Gundarakite caught speaking Luktar shall be on the first offense fined 50 wolf fang, on the second offense given 10 strikes with a rod as well as an 100 wolf fang fine, with any additional offense to be punished at the discretion of the garrison of Vallaki.

Awesome, I didn't see that before. That's exactly what I was looking for. I've got no problem with chars breaking the law, it'd just be nice for them to know beforehand whether they are or not. :P

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 04:48:34 PM »
From what I've understood when playing my gundarakite, farming tools are permitted, but weapons aren't. A scythe, sickle, pitch fork, hoe and such are alright I think

If I remember correctly, there is actually a scythe model that is called "farming scythe".  I don't remember if it's stats are different or not, but there might be some penalties.  Same with things like "grain flail" and such.  I would imagine that anyone carrying one of those would not be considered carrying a "weapon", even though it can be used as a weapon.

A Gundarakite character getting into some creative RP could use those tool-named weapons to be more authentic, I would think.

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 04:59:00 PM »

I'm pretty sure I've said that post was overboard and should no longer be applicable.

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 05:03:49 PM »
I'm pretty sure I've said that post was overboard and should no longer be applicable.

Soooo... what is applicable? :|

Pagliacci

• Undead Slayer
  • Vesti la giubba
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 07:40:01 PM »
It's not a big deal, gundrakites are to STUPID to be able to use anything more complicated then a dagger anyway.

They're not even really people if you think about it.

Question though, does wood axes include both the larger two handed felling axe and the smaller lighter hand axe?

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2016, 03:13:28 AM »

Soooo... what is applicable? :|
Forget it, I was mis-remembering.

EDIT: To clarify, the books say that the ban on weapons bigger than a dagger for Gundarakites is only a local thing in the annexed territories, but we misread that when we first created the module and didn't catch it until years later. The stuff Treason posted was a compromise he came up with, one that I had approved of but had completely forgotten about. For some reason, I thought he was quoting some stuff from a much earlier period before he was a DM, a period when the guards were way overboard. So I'm sorry about that everyone, and especially you, Treason.  :oops:
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 04:09:38 AM by Bluebomber4evr »