Author Topic: Vote Resets - Suggestions  (Read 2828 times)

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
Vote Resets - Suggestions
« on: December 17, 2015, 09:49:36 PM »
I understand the need and value of having the ability to player vote resets, and certainly agree at times they can be rather helpful to fix bugs or deal with stuck-issues on players. Unfortunately sometimes this system is taken advantage of for free ports across the server or to clear variables,  and in my own experiences deeply shafted by a reset while in the middle of a crafting spree. (Losing 3-4 hours of crafting gathering sucks!) I got to brainstorming some possible improvements to the voting system for resets.

1) If some guidelines could be added to the reset function as well, I think specifying that it shouldn't be used for non-bug, personal related reasons, during peak hours, or other example that the community might agree on.

2) Allow CC members to delay a reset for a little extra time if players needed it.

3) When a player decides to initiate a vote for a reset, allow there to be a reason given.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
Re: Vote Resets - Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 10:21:55 PM »
Unlike DM-initiated resets, though, player-initiated resets both have a delay of twenty minutes and require a majority vote of players on the server. If a reset passes, a majority of the server's players would like the server to reset. I'm sorry about your crafting, though--how did that happen? Did you not see the timer?
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

LivingWasteland

• Dark Lord
  • LOOT B4 LUV - TIEFLING LYFE
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 10:25:53 PM »
I don't think the 'reason given' method would work, though. People could want to use it for a free port, and put 'lag' or 'bug' as the reason. Nothing prevents people from playing the system when new rules are added to it.

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 10:40:19 PM »
Losing XP or crafting stuff have been mention A LOT on the forum, do manual save of your character often when you go crafting or go in dungeon.

I have taken the habit of doing manual save after each fight or after doing important transaction or simply buying something. That way I never lose anything or almost never. Doing manual save of your character with player tool is easy, simple and prevent the lost of 3 hour of crafting  :P
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 10:59:29 PM »
Getting half the server to vote for a reset just because one individual wants a free port somewhere seems farfetched to me.  Most of the time, I see these reset votes pop up and whether I vote yes or no is entirely dependent on whether I notice significant lag or gltichy areas, not whether someone has indicated an ulterior motive (or even asked -- this has happened exactly once since I've been here, someone asking for a reset because they were stuck somewhere).

I have also never been victimized crafting doing a reset -- during a crash and rollback, yes, but resets, never.  I just save and log out before the reset.

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 11:19:59 PM »
Unlike DM-initiated resets, though, player-initiated resets both have a delay of twenty minutes and require a majority vote of players on the server. If a reset passes, a majority of the server's players would like the server to reset. I'm sorry about your crafting, though--how did that happen? Did you not see the timer?

Twenty minutes isn't enough time to deal with two oxen worth of ore gathered by me and a friend (dreaded bronze!), massive encumbrance, spending all ones gold on boxes and be able to box all the ore. Together we only managed to get about half of it boxed before the timer ran out.

Losing XP or crafting stuff have been mention A LOT on the forum, do manual save of your character often when you go crafting or go in dungeon.

I have taken the habit of doing manual save after each fight or after doing important transaction or simply buying something. That way I never lose anything or almost never. Doing manual save of your character with player tool is easy, simple and prevent the lost of 3 hour of crafting  :P

I didn't lose any XP progress in the incident, I just lost the ore directly because I couldn't pack it all up off the oxen in the twenty minutes; having to scavenge for boxes and hurry-spam boxing everything before the reset happens. Manual saves wouldn't have helped at all in this situation.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 02:35:27 AM »
3-4 hours to gather bronze seems like an exaggeration, but I wouldn't mind seeing an optional "reason" on the vote initiation.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 02:42:10 AM »
3-4 hours to gather bronze seems like an exaggeration, but I wouldn't mind seeing an optional "reason" on the vote initiation.

This would certainly keep people from having to send Tells to everyone on the server!
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

dazza555

• Undead Master
  • Calibardbarian
    • http://morningstarani.deviantart.com
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 04:57:33 AM »
Couldn't you have used the "claim pack ox" function to prevent the loss of ore?

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 07:42:59 AM »
As a level 4, 16 strength with powerattack and another 14 str helping, its not an exaggeration at all. It takes about 4 IG hours for a seam, thats ~20-25 minutes.  4 Tin Seams is 80min, 6 Copper Seams is 120 Minutes,  200 Minutes = three hours, 20 minutes. I just did 8 hours of crafting last night again, in calculations it was four hours minimum, of looking at the animation loops alone. :)

Couldn't you have used the "claim pack ox" function to prevent the loss of ore?

Claim Ox does not save the inventory of the ox, It pulls the inventory of the ox to you and then removes the ox. If you claim an ox while not having enough space, if I remember right it drops everything on the floor. When you're rushing, you don't really take that risk :D
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 07:58:11 AM by Sidhel »

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 11:05:39 AM »
Bags.  I have LOTS of empty (or nearly empty) magic pouches to extend my inventory space for stuff like crafting.  If you are trying to move inventory in a 20 minute span in anticipation of a reset vote outcome, then encumbrance is not really a concern for you at that point, you just want space.  If the reset vote ends up being "no", then you have 2 more hours before another reset vote can be triggered, and you just move your stuff back on the ox.

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 12:39:26 PM »
Bags.  I have LOTS of empty (or nearly empty) magic pouches to extend my inventory space for stuff like crafting.  If you are trying to move inventory in a 20 minute span in anticipation of a reset vote outcome, then encumbrance is not really a concern for you at that point, you just want space.  If the reset vote ends up being "no", then you have 2 more hours before another reset vote can be triggered, and you just move your stuff back on the ox.

Playing a newer character, I unfortunately don't have the privilege of an endless supply of bags. Its not about excuses or suggestions to try and deal with the problem, I'm fairly familiar with know-hows of the game :)  The issue to why I'm offering suggestions is that on some occasions, a surprise "20 minutes the server is resetting" doesn't give you enough time to clean up and prepare if you planned out a day's activity and get interrupted with a surprise reset. Its not something that happens all the time, but having an alternative in place is helpful to detour frustrations in the future for other players as well.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 03:01:29 PM »
Return to forge more often, resolves your issue.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 07:01:38 PM »
The reason would be nice. It saves having to send a lot of tells to people. I feel that it also opens up communication in case it is the worst possible time for a reset - like if you're dying.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

Delete Me

• Bah humbug
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2015, 08:47:30 PM »
What bothers me, on a side note, is that I've noticed that player initiated resets seem to trash spawns across the entire server. I havent precisely noticed this with DM initiated ones, but player initiated ones make the refresh a bit frustrating. 
Delete Me.

Mayvind

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • I won't Bite
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2015, 06:20:22 AM »
never notice that player reset that offen some time it goes 2 days before a reset. and it is a vote, need 3 to initiated ? right ? then more then half need to vote and half of that vote yes or no. So i really not seeing a problem here except unlucky crafter trying to craft all of it in one go. No reset offen has other bugs. Laag.. and sometime suddenly crash which screw more players then the current one.