You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Rokuma Bone Key [minor]  (Read 1099 times)

gryphonlotr

• Outlander
Rokuma Bone Key [minor]
« on: December 16, 2015, 05:51:06 PM »
The Rokuma Bone Key is a consumable knock item.

Since the update changed the knock spell, it now only adds +1 to pick lock. (+1/2CL with CL=3)

This is in line with +1 thieves tools and the same size/weight, but about 10x the price.

One way to put it back in line of power-to-cost with the other items would be to keep the price the same, but increase the CL so there's more than just a +1 bonus (+3 to +6 feels right to me at first glance), but it's far from the only way to do it.

Minor issue, but figured it was worth mentioning.
Elrebrin - Multi-skilled elven woodsman
Lillia - Squire in service to the Morninglord

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
Re: Rokuma Bone Key [minor]
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 06:11:49 PM »
Nothing has changed about the item since the hak update. The spell Knock worked that way looong before the update, only the spell description was altered with the update to say so. The Rokuma Bone Key has worked this way as long as the spell has worked this way as well, so the update didn't do anything to the item, and they are actually useful to low level rogues who struggle with opening some locks.

Now, that doesn't mean I'm opposed to the spell it casts being cast at a higher level, I've often thought that it being cast with only the +1 was a bit strange, but I don't think anything above a +3 should be done personally. There's another item out there that's the same thing but with 50 charges and having it give more than +3 to open lock doesn't seem like a very balanced decision to me. Consider also the fact that increasing the level the spell is cast at will increase the value of the item and mean that it will not be found so often by lower levels who will get the most use out of it and only make it even more costly still than the thieves tools you compared them to
Eilithar Cael'aera | Eowaril | Rowan Tallstag | Tobias Loarca | Kiiren Josivir