You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Item request: Wallet for writs  (Read 3679 times)

Baium

• New to the Mists
Item request: Wallet for writs
« on: December 11, 2015, 02:00:32 PM »
One of the problems I have at the moment is that I have Category OCD, And so at the moment I have collecting numourus herbs to powerlevel my herblore, but what I'm doing is filling a herb bag of a herb, getting it turned into a writ, then putting the writ inside a container and labeling it "Woundwart" or a herb name that's in there.

The problem is I'm doing this with Vaasi leather bags, and I'm running into several problems.

A, they are expensive
2, They take up a 2x2 square, so I can't actually keep all the different types of herbs on me as it will take up all my bag space.
3. They're not easy to get.

What would be really awesome is if there was a container that was only 1x1, itself only weighed .1 or .2 lbs, BUT, added 10x the weight to whatever was in, thus making sure it was ONLY writ objects ever put inside.

In actual, a writ is really only a piece of paper that has some scribbling on it saying you own something stored at the warehouse, so it would make sense to keep something like a little "Writ" wallet on yourself. Actually that's even a name!

Item name: Writ Wallet
Size: 1x1
weight: .2 lb
Function: Container
Extra properties: +300% to weight stored inside it.
Description: A small leather wallet, it seems to look almost as if it's a book with the pages cut square out of the middle, and used to store paper inside of.

Baium

• New to the Mists
Re: Item request: Wallet for writs
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 03:30:30 PM »
No one has thoughts about this?

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 04:17:29 PM »
The issue is that the claim is actually the item with some changes made to the name, the weight removed, and equipment restrictions, so it's subject to all the normal stacking/unstacking rules of the items, and you can't mix/match types.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 05:34:58 PM »
He's talking about making a bag item that's not the standard 2x2 though, not making something like an herbalist pouch.

I've been told by a dev here, I can't remember who, at one point that you can't make bag items. I do know that a server I played on had a 1x2 custom bag item though, so I would think that there's a way..
Tobias Loarca | Braern Delsaryn | Anwar

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 06:36:56 PM »
I've been told by a dev here, I can't remember who, at one point that you can't make bag items. I do know that a server I played on had a 1x2 custom bag item though, so I would think that there's a way..

I've seen both 1x2 and 1x1 custom bag item, it is doable, though I don't have the slightest idea on how to do it.

One of the 1x2 bag I saw was a quiver, the description had an OOC message talling the player to only put arrow in it, though there was nothing preventing a player from putting an armor in it. I don't know if it's possible to script something preventing someone to put certain item in a bag.

Only thing with the 1x1 bag is they will completely replace the regular 2x2 bag for the simple reason that they take less place in your inventory, thus making player able to carry more thing. Having new bag size would be interesting, but if there isn't any way to prevent putting an item with a certain size in those smaller bag, I personally think it may not be the best of idea to add those because they will completely replace regular bag and box and will just make it easier to carry more stuff.

Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

Baium

• New to the Mists
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 06:48:17 PM »
But this is the point of the Weight addition, the wallet itself will only weigh 0.2 or so, but the moment you put anything with weight into the bag, it increases INSANELY... So the only thing you will wan't to put into it is something completely weightless like writs, or gems, they're weightless too.

Heck, even a 1x2 container would work.

Also Arawn, The problem isn't the "Herbelist" pouch, it's the Item container that the writ of the pouch will be put into. it's no different than a normal leather bag, other than it's much smaller, and add's HEAPS of weight if anything other then a writ is added.

gryphonlotr

• Outlander
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 09:44:02 AM »
Conceptually, I think this is a brilliant idea, and would love to see it implemented.
The way that slips of paper takes up so much room is really counter-intuitive and a small container with a % weight increase is actually a really elegant solution to the problem.

The CEP adds both 1x1 and 1x2 containers to the game, so that's not an issue.

The only difficulty I can see is that the contents weight property only has options for reduction, not increase.

I suspect that would have to be added via a hack update.
That said, I suspect it would be fairly easy for the dev team here, given the impressive work I've seen from them already.

But yes, it does mean that the tools to do it are not currently in the game as far as I can tell.

The only way I see this happening pre-hack-update is a script that checks every object put into the container to see if it weighs anything and boots out anything that isn't, but I'm not sure if the right scripting triggers exist to make that happen feasibly.
Elrebrin - Multi-skilled elven woodsman
Lillia - Squire in service to the Morninglord

Baium

• New to the Mists
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 07:49:35 PM »
if(GetSubString(GetObjectName(),0,4) != "Writ")
{
    event.cancel;
    event.messageplayer("Nope, only writs allowed");
}

No other object is going to be able to start off with "Writ" unless it's a piece of custom paper, which I guess doesn't exactly make much different.. it's a piece of paper

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 08:15:27 PM »
{
    event.cancel;
    event.messageplayer("*You begin receiving strange looks from people as you try as hard as you can to shove the much too large item in to your wallet. You hang your head in shame, hiding the deepening red of your face-"What was I thinking?" you wonder.*");
}

No other object is going to be able to start off with "Writ" unless it's a piece of custom paper, which I guess doesn't exactly make much different.. it's a piece of paper

fixed
Tobias Loarca | Braern Delsaryn | Anwar

LivingWasteland

• Dark Lord
  • LOOT B4 LUV - TIEFLING LYFE
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 11:48:22 PM »
{
    event.cancel;
    event.messageplayer("*You begin receiving strange looks from people as you try as hard as you can to shove the much too large item in to your wallet. You hang your head in shame, hiding the deepening red of your face-"What was I thinking?" you wonder.*");
}

fixed

I'll put what I want in my wallet of holding.

gryphonlotr

• Outlander
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 09:39:55 AM »
{
    event.cancel;
    event.messageplayer("Nope, only writs allowed");
}

Allowing other pieces of paper and things of that nature was why I suggested checking for weight, though a conditional to prevent ammunition and such from going in would be wise. Another possibility would be gems, though I don't see any problems with that.

That said, while it has slightly less utility, checking the name like that is very simple (which there's something to be said for that alone) and has a much lower chance for weird oversights and needing a lot of conditionals to keep it from turning exploit-y and weird. Additional functionality would be still able to be added if desired with else-if clauses with much less trouble, so I think your idea is a better way to do it overall.

The triggers I was referring to were more along the lines of {whenItemPutIntoContainer} triggers. There are plenty of ways to check if an item belongs there, so I wasn't worried about that at all.
Elrebrin - Multi-skilled elven woodsman
Lillia - Squire in service to the Morninglord

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 04:25:02 PM »
I don't think there is an item put inside container event.

Baium

• New to the Mists
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2015, 04:30:31 PM »
Can't you just branch off the main action event? the fact it has to do the update to the database of location, etc, and send an update to the client UI, all of this has to be an event trigger that you can hook onto?