Author Topic: Bleeding out modification suggestion  (Read 7052 times)

LivingWasteland

• Dark Lord
  • LOOT B4 LUV - TIEFLING LYFE
Bleeding out modification suggestion
« on: December 08, 2015, 03:55:00 AM »
Something occurred to me as I was bleeding out earlier. As I died, I began to muse. If only my companions could have checked my body they'd have found a dozen different ways to heal me.

So I followed that train of thought. Could, perhaps, upon falling, we also drop a item with and on use cure spell along with out weapon and gold? And if not, perhaps enable trading for one bleeding out?

It makes sense, as the healthy members could easily dig around in the backpack or belt pouches of someone unconscious to find a potion or bandages or other means of healing.

peps

• Undead Master
Re: Bleeding out modification suggestion
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 04:00:46 AM »
I have found it a bit odd, to be honest, as you can drop things near your corpse when you are a ghost.

If we could, I would also like to see this.

A normal snake

• SsSSSSsssss
  • Dark Power
  • Ssss
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 09:30:18 AM »
Would you be just as pleased if someone grabbed the healing item and ran off, or if you died soloing or to PvP and your items were taken? You're thinking about a system like this with a specific idea in mind, when it will have a wider impact than you intend.

booksarefun666

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 10:45:53 AM »
Being able to still drop a potion or a medical kit is still pretty nice instead of watching your friend bleed out.

Although to be fair, this is easily circumvented by taking the time to shore your medical supplies and hoping everyone else did when you're bleeding out.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 11:17:38 AM »
Well that's sorta what your company has to deal with.. knowing they did not have a way to even stabilize you be it healing kit of even a jar of honey. or those mushrooms in beetle cave. ( cannot remember the name) the consequence for beign unprepaired. I try and keep some form of healing on me.. My old fighter carried 20 bandages on her for those oh crap the cleric is down [ goes to stabilize]  my rogue carries scrolls and minor stuff galore so she can stabilize someone if she is quick enough. the fact that IF you dropped more items when you die is a bit... OOC in a odd day and here is why. your companions do not know everything that you carry. they do not know if you carry an item or not. it is far easier to assume someone doesn't carry anything then assume they do.] to have an item drop on the ground might not be as helpful as you think. I've spent many runs watching someone bleed out and freak out IC ( normally on rogue) that they will die. If a DM is near or can get one.. can try and see if you can cut up some clothes or a cloak and make it into a med kit if you have healing herbs as well. or something to at least stop the bleeding.

but I agree with OphisssSss.. if it is an evil person or in PvP you just lost all your items. and most people would complain. Now say you die, your crew can then RP going through your things looking for a way to bring you back to life.

If you are the only one with bandages or some potions of healing well... you're sort of SOL if no one in your party has any way of getting you on your feet and you are now at the mercy or RNjesus
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 11:21:02 AM by Syl »

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

ILLY6666

• Undead Master
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 02:23:52 PM »
I think allowing trading isn't a bad thing.
"What is a day, without  a blessed night?
And what is peace, without a blessed fight?"

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 02:41:00 PM »
kinda hard to trade when you're bleeding out. [shrugs]

Phantasia

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • ¿
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 03:12:40 PM »
kinda hard to trade when you're bleeding out. [shrugs]

What's being suggested is using the trade window as allowing someone ICly and basically OOCly to search your body for something to help you while you're still bleeding. Then again that's what Healing Kits are for guys. Kind of a pointless suggestion, but could open up other avenues of roleplay with a bleeding individual.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 03:19:35 PM by Sword »
Le cœur voit plus loin que l'esprit.
The heart sees further than the mind.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 03:35:56 PM »
Plan ahead, and make sure the right tools exist in the team.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 04:36:42 PM »
I think that it's an engine limitation more than anything else. When you're in the Dead state, certain actions just aren't possible.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

Dusk

• Finder of Lost Children
  • Dark Power
  • Enjoys Port-a-Lucine
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2015, 05:53:53 PM »
Plan ahead, and make sure the right tools exist in the team.

:thumbup:

Mellybelly

• New to the Mists
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 06:06:24 PM »
There is always the chance if someone stealing the healing object.  Just like there is of someone stealing your weapons and gold. The idea behind this is you don't always know who is carrying what. And as a ghost, you can drop items to be ressurected. So why can't we have a system to somehow drop or trade healing supplies before we even get to ghost state? It makes total sense that your unconscious body can can patted down for a tonic. It's logical, realistic, and non-immersion breaking. Far less so than a ghost dropping things.

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2015, 06:08:03 PM »
Wait, dropping items to be resurrected whilst in ghost form is allowed?

peps

• Undead Master
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2015, 06:24:59 PM »
Wait, dropping items to be resurrected whilst in ghost form is allowed?

Yes, as it will only allow you to drop items near your corpse.

However, if a DM wants to confirm that.

Baium

• New to the Mists
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2015, 07:41:02 PM »
Personally, I think it's simple. If you are un-prepared before the fight, you run the consequences. This is Ravenloft roleplay, everything is supposed to be brutal to the un-prepared.

I kind of like it this way, and I don't really think it should change. What would be a bit better however, is if you are unconcious and someone shot you from a distance, it would rather say "Someone killed you" instead of who actually did it, as there should be no way of being able to know who did it if you're out cold.

NOTE: I'm not saying I do this... yet...

Mellybelly

• New to the Mists
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2015, 08:03:38 PM »
So it's better to be able to anonymously murder someone but not to be able to be healed when supplies ARE on hand. Why do so many of you hate each other?

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2015, 08:06:53 PM »
So it's better to be able to anonymously murder someone but not to be able to be healed when supplies ARE on hand. Why do so many of you hate each other?

: )

Master Librarian

• Church of Ezra - Inquisition
  • Undead Master
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2015, 08:12:25 PM »
Personally, I think it's simple. If you are un-prepared before the fight, you run the consequences. This is Ravenloft roleplay, everything is supposed to be brutal to the un-prepared.

But the thing being discussed here, is the situation where there IS adequate preparation, which is however, curbed by mechanical/engine limitations.
Characters:

Jacques Martel - Erudite Inquisitor
Sigrin Leafare - Warder of Arvoreen

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2015, 10:24:02 PM »

But the thing being discussed here, is the situation where there IS adequate preparation, which is however, curbed by mechanical/engine limitations.

In MOST cases, if you are well prepared you won't have any of these problem. If someone has used up his/her bandage after a fight he should say so so other can give him a few one case all the other goes down. Being well prepared is good, but you have to share a bit of resources at some point to prevent these thing from happening.

I personally always have at least 10 bandage on me and I always go and buy some more after using them. I've mostly never ended up using all 10 of my bandage if EVERYONE was well prepared. If only a few person are prepared then the group will eventually run into this sort of problem.

There are time when even with the best of preparation from everyone we end in these situation, but as it was mentioned it due to mechanical restriction from the game engine and when it comes to that there isn't much to to do except going along with it and prevent these situation.
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

Exordium

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2015, 03:45:49 AM »
I like the suggestion. Though I wonder if there's a technical reason for why enabling trading while bleeding would be wholly impossible and uncircumventable.. :think:

If that can't be done, personally I wouldn't mind a script that checked inventory for certain healing potables and healing kits, and dropped a few if found upon character being rendered unconscious. Could be worth testing at least.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 04:23:10 AM by Exordium »

gryphonlotr

• Outlander
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2015, 01:05:11 PM »
I like the suggestion. Though I wonder if there's a technical reason for why enabling trading while bleeding would be wholly impossible and uncircumventable.. :think:

If that can't be done, personally I wouldn't mind a script that checked inventory for certain healing potables and healing kits, and dropped a few if found upon character being rendered unconscious. Could be worth testing at least.

I like the idea of enabling trading, but some things aren't able to be sidestepped. (and some that can are entirely impractical to do so).

If you're going to code an auto-drop script, a better option would be an ooc container object that drops its contents. I believe it should be way easier (coding, maintenance, and system resources) than doing that many checks.

It'd also give players control over what they wanted to drop, including nothing. This could also be used for RP. For example, say you're carrying an item that your group really needs for this fight (like a wand). You could put that in the container, still use it, and if you went down, the obvious IC option of "I grab the wand and use it" would be available whether they could revive you or not.

It could be used for PVP fighting over an item, tournament bets/spoils, dropping items near a corpse without needing to go there as a ghost to do so (which basically means an odd period of time where you can't take an item from a body for no IC or ooc, other than game mechanics, reason), and things I probably can't think of.

I don't think it's a big problem since getting items that cure minor wounds (Drobita mushrooms, honey, bay leaves) is fairly simple so even falling back on trying to make a stabilize check with a healing kit is somewhere around plan D for me, but it would at least have other uses besides fixing a minor problem (even if they weren't that common) and be a bit easier.
Elrebrin - Multi-skilled elven woodsman
Lillia - Squire in service to the Morninglord

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2015, 01:16:03 PM »
So as many have said to include myself. That is the price for not being prepared there are countless means of healing on here, from fabled chickens made so well they have cure minor. to scrolls to a cleric to potions and items. To make it possible to get items from people while they are down kinda makes the game less difficult. while it would be nice yes, that just leaves excuse to not be prepared for a adventure should always be prepared for the worst. if you have no kits or anything well.. all you can do is RP trying to stop the bleeding only to fail and just pray they stabilize as you watch in horror as your companion bleeds to death Most experienced adventurers carries something, even if it is only 5 med kits.

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2015, 01:27:57 PM »
While it sucks to be the sort of person who is prepared and has hundreds of potions, scrolls, kits, or healing spells.. and dying because you bled out and none of your allies had healing.. I think creating a system might be a bit overboard. I've seen complex systems before that allowed players to sift through a friends backpack and grab consumables, and its really neat.. but I don't think its really needed on PotM. (The other server was full-loot friendly, most of the time it was people stealing your enemies potions/wands.)

As Syl said, Its probably best just to make sure you're companions are properly prepared as you are. If it was really being considered.  A downed player could maybe use the command like @packdrophealing, and it would search the players inventory through a predetermined list ( Potions from least to greatest, medkit, etc) and drop it within the players gold pouch, or something. If we wanted it to be auto, drop a potion automatically from the players inventory within the players gold pouch upon reaching negatives.

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2015, 08:31:36 PM »
I would just point out that, if we are starting from the premise that a person could rummage through a dying person's stuff to find a bandage or heal pot to use on them, then in reality ALL of their inventory is fair game for rummaging through -- and someone could just as easily strip you naked and leave you to die, rather than heal you. Not sure if folks want to take this effort at reality to its logical conclusion.

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2015, 09:56:33 PM »
I would just point out that, if we are starting from the premise that a person could rummage through a dying person's stuff to find a bandage or heal pot to use on them, then in reality ALL of their inventory is fair game for rummaging through -- and someone could just as easily strip you naked and leave you to die, rather than heal you. Not sure if folks want to take this effort at reality to its logical conclusion.

I'm both masochistic and sadistic enough to say yes to that, but that's just me. Yes that would make me RAGE, but at the same time I'd be thinking... well, in real life that's definitely a possibility, so it's kinda cool. Anyhow, it is still a fair point to make, as I'm kinda on the fence about the subject. On the one hand, yes it would be nice to have a way for people to grab a healing potion off you if you're down, but then why not anything else you have for that matter? If any sort of system was to be implemented, I'd say the barter window would be the fairest way to go about it, because then it lets the player control what they want to let their friends (or foes) pick off of them. Essentially, it's less easy to abuse that than some of the other alternatives.