Author Topic: Crashes in several places (A lot in Deganwy)  (Read 1160 times)

Niffie

• The Underworld
  • Outlander
Crashes in several places (A lot in Deganwy)
« on: December 02, 2015, 03:01:42 PM »
Volt and I may have located the problem which causes /some/ players to crash inside Deganwy. After many crashes, I decided to fiddle with the graphical settings. And we found that if you click on "Enable Shiny Water" in advanced video options, our GFX cards get overloaded and eventually it'll crash when facing or looking in the direction of the water basin here.

I will add that I've encountered the same crash in other areas, though without the overload or FPS drop first. But both causing a TDR crash.
There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.

Rodarn

• Outlander
Re: Crashes in several places (A lot in Deganwy)
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 11:06:21 PM »
Just to clarify on how long eventually is, My GTX 770 gets a TDR error in about a second
(http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3633)

You can have shiny water enabled in the room so long as the water basin isn't in your camera focus, which is how we are sure that it is the main issue.

(Volt)

Perdiot Olivene

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
Re: Crashes in several places (A lot in Deganwy)
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 06:48:35 AM »
Your best solution is to leave shiny water turned off. Shiny water has issues, and it's not something we'll likely be addressing.

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/227613-shiny-water-bug/

Quote from: nwn.wikia.com
Enable shiny water
    This option gives water a glittery appearance, as if light was glinting off the crests of each wave.
    This option has historically caused problems, with symptoms depending on the video card being used. (Cards from NVIDIA have at times produced highly corrupted images when this setting is enabled, while cards from ATI tend to crash Neverwinter Nights when loading certain saved games if this option is enabled at the time of loading.)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 06:56:32 AM by Bad_Bud »