Author Topic: Dvergeheim -- Feedback  (Read 4078 times)

Iconoclast

• Church of the Lawgiver
  • Dark Power
Dvergeheim -- Feedback
« on: November 09, 2015, 06:16:55 PM »

I'd first like to thank the developer who put Dvergeheim together. While I've experienced Dvergeheim with various characters over the years, this is the first time playing a dwarf from Dvergeheim, and so I and a number of other players with dwarves now have Dvergeheim as a wonderful setting for all sorts of scenes: Rituals in the temple, research in the library, seeking an audience with Moloch, crafting, Althof's bar, etc.

This weekend during the NCE I experienced a couple trips to Dvergeheim. In one, we were introducing a new-comer to our troubled, mountain home. Approaching the throne room with the new-comer was helped a lot by the atmosphere. In the other trip to Dvergeheim, we were there to make an offering to Odin in the temple, followed by some drinking and discussion.

In both these scenes, players on both occasions commented on how disruptive the mountain-quakes were, and I tend to agree with them. 

The quacking effect is essential to the Dvergeheim setting and our role play. I'm curious to know if the development team is interested in giving Dvergeheim some attention, so that the area is more player-friendly.

The frequency of damage is also a potential concern, especially for lower level characters who might want to use Dvergeheim's setting.

At the moment, one possible solution might be in reducing the frequency of quakes, so that the quakes occur often enough to symbolize that the mountain is in danger, but to try to prevent the quakes from serving as a disruption to players hoping to make regular use of Dvergeheim.

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
Re: Dvergeheim -- Feedback
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 06:26:00 PM »

I'd first like to thank the developer who put Dvergeheim together. While I've experienced Dvergeheim with various characters over the years, this is the first time playing a dwarf from Dvergeheim, and so I and a number of other players with dwarves now have Dvergeheim as a wonderful setting for all sorts of scenes: Rituals in the temple, research in the library, seeking an audience with Moloch, crafting, Althof's bar, etc.

This weekend during the NCE I experienced a couple trips to Dvergeheim. In one, we were introducing a new-comer to our troubled, mountain home. Approaching the throne room with the new-comer was helped a lot by the atmosphere. In the other trip to Dvergeheim, we were there to make an offering to Odin in the temple, followed by some drinking and discussion.

In both these scenes, players on both occasions commented on how disruptive the mountain-quakes were, and I tend to agree with them. 

The quacking effect is essential to the Dvergeheim setting and our role play. I'm curious to know if the development team is interested in giving Dvergeheim some attention, so that the area is more player-friendly.

The frequency of damage is also a potential concern, especially for lower level characters who might want to use Dvergeheim's setting.

At the moment, one possible solution might be in reducing the frequency of quakes, so that the quakes occur often enough to symbolize that the mountain is in danger, but to try to prevent the quakes from serving as a disruption to players hoping to make regular use of Dvergeheim.

It'd be nice if the area would shake but not cause the KDs and falling rock damage. You'd think a Dwarven-built fortress would be a little sturdier than caves.
: )

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 07:39:57 PM »
As a long time dwarven player that likes to call ye ol' Dvergeheim home, the quakes are definitely a nuisance, especially at lower levels. I'm not sure how commoners are even alive considering how few hit points they'd have. The only saving grace is that one of the rooms the miners sleep in is a safe rest zone that you can sleep in frequently. (Or at least it used to be.)
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Olywynn

• Likes to say "Nyeh heh heh!"
  • Dark Lord
  • Nyeh heh heh!
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 10:03:57 PM »
What's amazing to me, the shaking aside, is how it feels like Dvergheim is unfinished.  You go in there, and none of the residences have doors, none of the store rooms have doors.  They're all sleeping in empty rooms with only mats to sleep on.

Just because things are shaking doesn't mean that dwarves are suddenly ascetics.  Not to mention all the NPCs look the same.  Between all this, the poor lighting, the unreachable Residential District and the incessant shaking, it's just an unpleasant place to RP. Get a dev who enjoys Dwarves to revamp the place, I'm sure there's one.  But then there's that issue of "intellectual property" that gets in the way of anything being changed, so there's that.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 12:38:39 AM »
What's amazing to me, the shaking aside, is how it feels like Dvergheim is unfinished.  You go in there, and none of the residences have doors, none of the store rooms have doors.  They're all sleeping in empty rooms with only mats to sleep on.

Just because things are shaking doesn't mean that dwarves are suddenly ascetics.  Not to mention all the NPCs look the same.  Between all this, the poor lighting, the unreachable Residential District and the incessant shaking, it's just an unpleasant place to RP. Get a dev who enjoys Dwarves to revamp the place, I'm sure there's one.  But then there's that issue of "intellectual property" that gets in the way of anything being changed, so there's that.
You're completely missing the point. The area is all that's left of their home. It was originally a fort to protect the rest of Dvergeheim, but the tremors have destroyed that. The fort was sturdier and Moloch came to them before that part was wrecked. Moloch's druid magic keeps the fort from collapsing but the tremors are too much to to do any improvements.

Anyway, the tremors story was supposed to be over once Bluetspur was finished, but that got delayed. I think I finally know how to finish building Bluetspur now, though.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 08:26:38 AM »
The tremours and quakes I can deal with. and fully understand.. I mean come on.. there is a bloody dragon under them that's very upset about some thorn in it's claw. otherwise I've enjoyed it very much :) though getting a DC 50 knockdown is a bit harsh....

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

julienchab

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 08:35:50 AM »
The tremours and quakes I can deal with. and fully understand.. I mean come on.. there is a bloody dragon under them that's very upset about some thorn in it's claw. otherwise I've enjoyed it very much :) though getting a DC 50 knockdown is a bit harsh....

From what I know OOC, it's not the dragon that is causing the earthquakes, but I'm not 100% sure.

Anyway, the tremors story was supposed to be over once Bluetspur was finished, but that got delayed. I think I finally know how to finish building Bluetspur now, though.

The Clan of Dvergeheim that started in the NCE actually leave Dvergeheim to try and find a way to stop the earthquakes from happening.

Time_Stomped

• Undead Master
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 01:06:21 PM »
I think if it was more server involving than just the dwarves, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have the NCW do the tremor conclusion.

But great achievement requires sacrifice.  :twisted:
Istavan Donner

julienchab

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 01:36:28 PM »
I think if it was more server involving than just the dwarves, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have the NCW do the tremor conclusion.

But great achievement requires sacrifice.  :twisted:

Us dwarves aren't going to leave when the NCE ends ;) We are here to stay!

Until we all die...

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 02:22:42 PM »
Until we all die...

Hey hey.. Wooo... do not put me in with the rest of you all lol... Gunnar will be around. but I have WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to many other characters...

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

Time_Stomped

• Undead Master
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 03:20:17 PM »
*starts digging out some dwarven sized graves*
Istavan Donner

Iconoclast

• Church of the Lawgiver
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2016, 01:47:40 AM »

Every now and then in game, questions regarding the Shadow Crystal are directed to my Dvergeheim dwarf, that he'd likely be able to answer, but I have to try to answer as safely and vaguely as I can, since I'm having to guess as to the answer.

Question: Have the dwarves tried removing the Shadow Crystal from the mountain?
Question: Have you tried to destroy the Shadow Crystal yet?

I have my character respond by focusing on what I do know, which is that Moloch's druidic wisdom and powers is what is able to partially protect Dvergeheim from the Shadow Crystal, for fifteen years now, but that Dvergeheim is losing ground and it is only a matter of time until the end, unless if something else can be done.

I don't answer the questions directly, with either a yes or no, since that sort of history of Dvergeheim isn't fleshed out, to my knowledge.   I think the current interest and cooperation among some of us in Dvergeheim, is bringing these questiions to light and is a nice opportunity to flesh some of this stuff out.  We just need some dm and dev-team help here and there. 

So as to the questions, which come up often now in game, have the dwarves attempted to remove or destroy the crystal.   Seems it was able to be moved to the throne room, suggesting it can at least be moved within the mountain, but outside of it? 

Appreciate any help.

SanneJ

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2016, 05:32:03 AM »
As I understand it the crystal maybe the cause of the tremors, but is a tool off the evil that is deep down the mine (don't wanna give any spoilers of what is down there) and if we remove or disrupt the source the crystal will lose its power and we maybe can destroyed it.

I also think that the crystal has "formed" in the symbolic center of power of Dvergehiem, and killed the old king, to disrupt and taint the hiem. there for we can't just pick it up and put it somewhere else, it's growing out of the floor. and if we could move it, were would me put it? (maybe to Port-a-Lucine, it would be the talk off the town ;) )

Any help needed, please ask.

ps. did neeka ask you?
Merrum Twind: Sticking his nose where it doesn't belong for the greater good!
Ragnhild “the Snarling” Snarrigson: (aspirant) Shield of Dvergehiem.

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2016, 04:36:05 PM »
During this NCE I've been taking deliveries to the Dvergeheim mines. I believe the tremor system was updated recently and I have some feedback.

Frankly, it's a bit much. Even without going into the mines, the quaking in Dvergeheim itself is harsh. While I've seen mostly DCs around the 3-7 mark, I have yet to make it through quickly without getting hit by a DC 20 and even once a DC 32. When you fall over, that's annoying but I can live with that. However, the damage has been rather high. So far I've been hit with 8, 8, 7, 10, and 12 points of damage in one single hit. As a rogue, my character has maxed out tumble and parry, and has a few points in discipline, and I still manage to get squished badly. I can't imagine this place working as a dwarven home during an NCE and to be honest I'm surprised the quakes haven't wiped out the NPCs. Can we drop the damage down to more of a 1d4 or 1d6 type of damage in the top floor? 12 points seems rather much.

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2017, 08:11:13 PM »
Can we have someone look into priest of Odin? When you ask him to heal you, it's typically only 15 hps. This seems awfully weak.

And whatever happened to the emaciated crag cats that used to spawn nearby? Kinda miss those felines.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 08:15:34 PM by ethinos »

peps

• Undead Master
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2017, 09:58:46 PM »
After coming back and spending some time in both the dungeons and Dvergeheim itself, the tremors and damage is just disgustingly too frequent or too high. More so than it was before, at least from what I can see.

Was this intentional to reflect a hidden change? If not, can it be looked into? Dvergeheim is almost impossible to walk through. The Alhoon's lair was even worse, as I was spending half the time on my knees, albeit my character has no discipline.

booksarefun666

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2017, 03:23:16 AM »
After coming back and spending some time in both the dungeons and Dvergeheim itself, the tremors and damage is just disgustingly too frequent or too high. More so than it was before, at least from what I can see.

Was this intentional to reflect a hidden change? If not, can it be looked into? Dvergeheim is almost impossible to walk through. The Alhoon's lair was even worse, as I was spending half the time on my knees, albeit my character has no discipline.

It seems to be intentional. Unfortunately, this tweak makes it where level 2s die when doing a simple delivery to the miners. You'll need to make freedom of movement potions now and wear a brawler's belt.

or just don't go anymore like the rest of us.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 03:30:30 AM by booksarefun666 »

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2017, 06:05:20 AM »
My undead had spent so much time studying that crystal but I never got a DM to come around and rp with me. And I was too scared to go and talk to the *spoiler* below  :oops:

The problem is that the area is wonderful if you think of it as a 10+ level area but it's not meant to be that, especially the high floors.

So :|
Has been described as a sometimey player

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2017, 01:18:39 PM »
It really is a problem. I did the dungeon under Dverge with a level 8 or 9 character recently, I had to leave because I was taking 10-20 damage very frequently. The rumbling is more common and the damage makes the dungeon not doable for the correct level range. I'm not sure when or why the script changed, but it might be a bug that it's doing so much damage.

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2017, 05:25:40 PM »
Yeah, it is obnoxious. You can see from my post from last November that it's a low level murder machine. I only visit it now on my high levels. Luckily my dwarf is one of them, otherwise he'd never even visit the place.