Author Topic: Ghastria Feedback  (Read 20113 times)

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
Ghastria Feedback
« on: October 08, 2015, 12:05:29 PM »
Hi,

This is a topic for feedback and bugs in Ghastria. Right now, the only way to access Ghastria is via the ferry captain in Dementlieu or Blaustein. It can't be reached via the mists.

Thanks

Phantasia

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • ¿
Re: Ghastria Feedback
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 12:10:07 PM »
Already sailing in to Ghastria, the ladder to the left of the docks does not seem to work.
Le cœur voit plus loin que l'esprit.
The heart sees further than the mind.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 12:12:05 PM »
Quick question first. With what approximate level range in mind was this domain created? What is the bare minimum level to survive the place?

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 12:19:41 PM »
Good question. The main dungeon at the moment (bandits) has CR 8, CR 12 and CR 16 spawns, with a "boss" that's CR 21. I would say that a mid-level party can survive the low and possibly mid spawn and I would advise a higher level party for the highest spawn (CR 16). Let me know what you think of the challenge/reward (XP/loot) for that dungeon. I suggest going there with a party.

There is also a fairly low level dungeon, containing oozes and carrion crawlers. That is easily manageable by low-mid levels. And finally there are night spawns in Ghastria and a few day spawns as well that should be geared towards low-mid levels generally.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 12:22:08 PM »
btw what effects OCR in Ghastria?

also: I added ghastria to my domain feedback listing

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 12:27:38 PM »
What the f....rickles on a ginger Irish girl, is Ghastria?

IllusoryWitch

• Outlander
  • Check your privilege at the door.
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 12:29:54 PM »
http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/Ghastria

Ghastria is an island domain ruled by a darklord who is a pastiche of Dorian Gray (see: The Picture of Dorian Gray) with some inspiration from the Marquis De Sade...Ghastria is infested with ghasts, ghouls and carrion crawlers.

Marquis Stezen D'Polarno is the darklord[5] and ruler of the island.[4] His curse is that that he cannot feel any form of emotion (this has the physical effect of leaving him a dull gray in colour) unless he has recently sucked the life out of otheres by showing them his self-portrait. He always plans great things for the time when he regains his emotions, but he lacks the discipline to follow through on them, never getting anything accomplished.[3]

Ghastria was at one time a small land in the Core bordering the western edge of Sithicus.[5] However, but by 750 BC it had become an island floating in the Sea of Sorrows.[8]

Ghastria was a domain in the second edition of Ravenloft, and hasn't been translated into the third edition. Ghastria first appeared in the 2-round RPGA tournament "Dance of the Dead" written by James Lowder and Bruce Nesmith.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 12:39:16 PM by IllusoryWitch »

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 12:49:04 PM »
btw what effects OCR in Ghastria?

also: I added ghastria to my domain feedback listing

Right now OcR hasn't been set up there. It's like Blaustein and Har'Akir. I'll add minimal OcR support at one point and possibly one day a full OcR system though that's least likely.

ICly, they are afraid of halflings since their only real exposure to halflings when they were in the Core were the tales of Sithican Kender Vampires. While the kender vampires couldn't cross into Ghastria (they couldn't leave Sithicus), they heard many tales of visitors or people who passed through Sithicus.

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 12:53:38 PM »
Yes! Can never get enough of people disliking halflings, haha.

Glad to see a Domain that you can't just Mist caravan to! Gets more traffic to Dementlieu beforehand!

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 12:56:08 PM »
Also, these are the sources I used to design it (it's as close to canon as possible)

RPGA Adventures:
-Dance of the Dead (Round 2; round 1 was lost for good a long time ago)
-Return of the Marquis Stezen D'Polarno (all 3 rounds)

Novels:
-Objets d'Art (in Tales of Ravenloft)

Source books:
-Darklords
-Domains of Dread
-Ravenloft Campaign Setting 3E

IllusoryWitch

• Outlander
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 12:57:11 PM »
Don't forget though; according to Book of Souls pg 57 , Ghastrians believe Kender to be Elven refugees from Sithicus. Any relevant dialogue should , perhaps, reflect this.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 12:59:34 PM by IllusoryWitch »

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 01:01:26 PM »
Don't forget though; according to Book of Souls pg 57 , Ghastrians believe Kender to be Elven refugees from Sithicus. Any relevant dialogue should , perhaps, reflect this.

I didn't refer to the Book of Souls, mainly because parts of it contradict other established Ghastria canon and also because I didn't like many of the non-canon elements presented inside. I may include Umbral Gray though at some point if I can find a good way to represent it but that'd be about it.

IllusoryWitch

• Outlander
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 01:06:27 PM »
Does your alchemy/herbalism system include, or have the capacity to include poison craft? I think that would be the most interactive way to do it. Or , you could have Carrier Crawler venom and Umbral Gray to have an on use to combine with one another to make such a poison.

Alternatively, you could cut out the middle man and just make Umbral Gray a poison in and of itself, and reference the combination of the venom in its description and add it to the loot tables. Probably the easiest of the three options. Con based would probably be your best and fariest bet for that. You don't want something to just go around killing people or offering On Hit:Death if you're coating items with it.

Parts of Book of Souls are really good for spice and filler, but, like all Net Books/Adventures, I'd take them with a grain of salt and not try and base anything too heavily off of them, you risk running into aforementioned ridiculousness and contradictions.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 01:12:05 PM by IllusoryWitch »

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 02:15:54 PM »
It's our intention to add more dungeons to the mix in time, but in the meantime we want players to enjoy the content we have made. Have fun!

As for poisons, it's been discussed adding a poison-crafting system, given Ghastria has several unique poisons that one can use. Right now our priority is releasing the .hak though.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 02:17:38 PM by Vengeance »

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 02:24:27 PM »
Wait wait wait... A kender Vampire?!?!

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

IllusoryWitch

• Outlander
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2015, 02:52:36 PM »
It's our intention to add more dungeons to the mix in time, but in the meantime we want players to enjoy the content we have made. Have fun!

As for poisons, it's been discussed adding a poison-crafting system, given Ghastria has several unique poisons that one can use. Right now our priority is releasing the .hak though.

Understandable, however, on hit poisons require an edit in Iprp poisons.2da if they're going to be unique, if I'm recalling correctly. Additionally, if they're going to be craftable, des_crft_poison.2da also needs to be edited (maybe that's only assassin poisons though , honestly, I'm not entirely up to speed on this one) , which of course means another hak edit.

Therefore, wouldn't upgrades to poisons be involved in the .hak ? (trying to save you the work of having to basically update twice if you're going to throw the item into the loot table as a poison, rather than an On Use)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 02:55:24 PM by IllusoryWitch »

Mayvind

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • I won't Bite
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2015, 02:58:38 PM »
well iam gonna put on my adventuring hat and solo da place ! Yeeehaaa

emptyanima

• Making & Breaking Characters Since May 2013
  • Church of Ezra - Refuge of Fifth Light
  • Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
    • Emptyanima Portrait Pack
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2015, 03:48:47 PM »

Slight mistake in the Ghastrian ship captain's dialogue.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 08:14:00 PM by emptyanima »

The Prophet of Misinformation

• Kept you waiting, huh?
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Forever #Trigger
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2015, 03:51:45 PM »
Wait wait wait... A kender Vampire?!?!

They're abundant in Sithicus.
"The brave man inattentive to his duty, is worth little more to his country than the coward who deserts in the hour of danger."
~Andrew Jackson

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2015, 03:56:31 PM »

May I ask, whats up with this? Do the community demand more dungeons? Do we get more lore along with it or maybe deeper conversations with NPCs bound to it? The demand for more dungeons to me, feels really MMOish! Like people demand endgame content when we players pretty much can make this ourselves. I would love to explore more on the server but some places cannot be explored since one need a well armed, well balanced party to even start considering it with.

Maybe it is just something that is lost in someone putting their thoughts in English, but every time I read these posts, it is like you are unhappy that others are getting nice things they asked for.  I don't think you are trying to intentionally rain on everybody else's parade, but it is like holding a conversation with Oscar The Grouch from Sesame Street.  Can't we all just be happy there is some new content to play with?

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2015, 04:44:22 PM »
As it happens, only the bandit dungeon on Ghastria is aimed towards mid-to-high levels and could be considered 'end-game content'. There's another smaller dungeon aimed towards lowbies and the mobs that one tends to see at night can run the gamut, but in general are not really tough. Not to mention you can get to East Riding safely without any real trouble, if you just wish to explore and role-play. Pretty sure the domain during the day is safe other than the occasional pack of wolves.

Mayvind

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • I won't Bite
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2015, 05:03:43 PM »
That bandit cave was short and the loot was bad unless there more bigger dungeon, it is easy to explore. Might be bigger dungeons have to find it another day.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2015, 05:05:14 PM »
That bandit cave was short and the loot was bad unless there more bigger dungeon, it is easy to explore. Might be bigger dungeons have to find it another day.

Try it on a higher spawn.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

A normal snake

• SsSSSSsssss
  • Dark Power
  • Ssss
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2015, 05:51:39 PM »

At least 2 groups went through bandits when I was on earlier, so you got minimum spawn.

LordRottenCorpse

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2015, 06:18:40 PM »
Thank you ! Im thrill do go see what this new domain :)
Jeune Bérurier!