You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Frivolous and unbalanced items  (Read 39815 times)

Feronius

• Dark Power
Frivolous and unbalanced items
« on: February 21, 2015, 06:32:02 AM »
As we already have a thread for erroneous and ineffective creatures, I figured it might also be extremely useful if there was a centralised thread for the playerbase to report their concerns about bugged, ineffective or too effective items. That way the development team no longer has to read a seperate new thread every time there is a small bug or minor concern about an item.
My apologies if such a thread already exists, I could not find one amongst the stickied threads and did not want to create multiple threads for a few otherwise unrelated minor issues about items.

This could be things like the weight of an item being slightly off, finding a mistake in an item description, an item showing up in the wrong loot table, there being a slight balance issue with a item, etcetera.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 08:44:04 AM by Feronius »

Feronius

• Dark Power
Re: Frivolous and unbalanced items
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 06:35:40 AM »
Masterwork Goad

The Masterwork Goad is incorrectly classed as an item with a 1 to 5 gold piece value and shows up in the wrong loot tables.
I found one in a random pile of trash in the sewers underneath the slums district the other day, in an area with low spawns.

Vaasi Leather Satchel

The Vaasi Leather Satchel is a very useful item, but terribly overpriced for the service that it offers. One bag costs me almost 600gp.
That is almost 600gp more than normal item containers, such as the Large Crate or Briefcase, just to save 0.8lbs of carrying capacity?

Arrows / Bolt / Bullets

At times ammo incorrectly shows up as costing 0gp, but you will still be charged 1gp when you purchase it. Might just be a NWN bug.
In this case it was the Arrows, Bolt and Bullets ammo sold by Crawler down in The Drain, the merchant's reaction was unfavorable.

Nobles' Clothes

I noticed that the expensive clothes costing several hundred gp at the tailor shops in Vallaki and Port-A-Lucine are the exact same as 1gp clothes.
It would be a great addition if they provided a minor stat bonus to make them worth their value, perhaps a +1 Influence or +1 Appraise bonus?

« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 08:45:17 AM by Feronius »

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 08:42:04 AM »
Crimson Lichen

The Crimson Lichen that is found in the loot tables, not the one you harvest from the actual herb placeables, is outdated.
It still has the old weight of 0.3lbs assigned to it, even though the weight of herbs was changed to 0.1lbs a long time ago.

There may be other herb drops with an outdated weight value assigned, so far I've only found this one. Drops in the sewers, trash piles.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 08:45:45 AM by Feronius »

Claymora

• Outlander
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 10:36:24 AM »
Re the Vaasi leather Satchel, I think this is partly to represent the highly sought after nature of Vaasi leather goods. Makes them almost a status symbol or symbol of wealth.

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 11:44:42 AM »
The Copper Chalice with Silver Filigree, which I've found most often in noble's pickpocketable inventory and in loot drops in Dementlieu, is only selling for 1gp...  item value says it should be worth 10 - 33gp.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 11:51:59 AM »
The Copper Chalice with Silver Filigree, which I've found most often in noble's pickpocketable inventory and in loot drops in Dementlieu, is only selling for 1gp...  item value says it should be worth 10 - 33gp.

It might be flagged as Stolen, which often reduces the value of the item.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 11:55:24 AM »

It might be flagged as Stolen, which often reduces the value of the item.
Most definitely. Gems I get 30-100 gp for with normal merchants who buy gems won't buy them when i take them off nobles. The shady merchants who do buy stolen merch don't pay a lot.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 01:00:26 PM »
Yeah, I took this chalice item in question to both the Black Market merchant in Dementlieu sewers, and the Shady Merchant in the docks. All offered 1gp.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 07:41:14 AM »
I noticed there are some items sold by multiple merchants that have a drastic difference in price, despite the fact the merchant's reactions indicate it should be the other way around.
Does this also have something to do with items being flagged as stolen? Or are these outdated versions or unintentional copies that accidentally have their cost / price set differently?

I noticed this extreme price difference with a Spyglass item offered in the pawnshop in Quartier Ouvrier being only about 1/10th of the price that Petre in the Vistani Camp asks for it.
Even though the merchant's reaction of the former was much less favorable than the latter. And his prices on other items generally seemed to be much higher than what Petre asks.

The Lead Bullets sold by Hughes the ammo merchant in the Quartier Marchand are also sold for around 60-70gp, even though Gearling across the street sells the same ammo for 1gp.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 10:39:22 AM »
I think that's because different merchants offer different prices. I have never known the pawn shop to be any good.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 10:47:08 AM »
I think that's because different merchants offer different prices. I have never known the pawn shop to be any good.

Well, that's the strange thing. Petre asked over 1000gp for a Spyglass last time, while the pawn shop sells it for around 175gp after a very unfavorable reaction.
Other items with identical stats that they both sold were a lot more expensive at the pawn shop again, which made me ponder whether it might be unintentional.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 10:48:34 AM »
Well, that's the strange thing. Petre asked over 1000gp for a Spyglass last time, while the pawn shop sells it for around 175gp after a very unfavorable reaction.

The spyglass is likely an oversight; it's probably a case of two items with different values. Do you remember where you found that other spyglass?

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 10:55:53 AM »

The spyglass is likely an oversight; it's probably a case of two items with different values. Do you remember where you found that other spyglass?

Nope, it was sold by Petre so it could have come from any dungeon in Barovia. I've seen it being sold at a very steep price in the Mist Camp as well.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 01:28:50 PM »

Nope, it was sold by Petre so it could have come from any dungeon in Barovia. I've seen it being sold at a very steep price in the Mist Camp as well.

On the subject of spyglass... WHY does it weigh...what was it.. 3 lbs? or is that the mangnifying glass i'm thinking of that weighs WAY more then it truely does..

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 02:54:23 PM »
On the subject of spyglass... WHY does it weigh...what was it.. 3 lbs? or is that the mangnifying glass i'm thinking of that weighs WAY more then it truely does..

Probably both. Some of the cosmetic off-hand items have a minor weight reduction, I think the Pipe item was also reduced from 3.0lbs to something like 2.4lbs.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 03:03:06 PM by Feronius »

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 03:01:48 PM »

Probably both. I know some of the cosmetic off-hand items have a minor weight reduction, I think the Pipe item was also reduced from 3.0lbs to something like 2.4lbs.

Still that seems heavy!.. I think i held my grandpa's pipe and it didn't even weigh that much.

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2015, 03:23:41 PM »
Realistically, a pipe doesn't even weigh a single pound  ;)

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2015, 03:25:27 PM »
realistically many items in dnd weigh heavier then they do IRL

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2015, 03:36:26 PM »

Why can't it be realistic!! lol

Like Monica was given a magnifying glass and said here this will help make fires... And I carried it around FOR that reason... I had to throw it away after a while since it weighed 3 lbs... Like How big is this thing to weigh that much!? what am I pulling out a sherlock homes giant lense?!?! where the glass is the size of my head!?

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2015, 09:53:47 PM »
Realistically, a pipe doesn't even weigh a single pound  ;)

Like Monica was given a magnifying glass and said here this will help make fires... And I carried it around FOR that reason... I had to throw it away after a while since it weighed 3 lbs... Like How big is this thing to weigh that much!? what am I pulling out a sherlock homes giant lense?!?! where the glass is the size of my head!?
We just need to update the items.2da in the haks to have less weight for these items. When we update the hak, the items you're carrying will automatically weigh less.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2015, 09:19:14 AM »
Realistically, a pipe doesn't even weigh a single pound  ;)

We just need to update the items.2da in the haks to have less weight for these items. When we update the hak, the items you're carrying will automatically weigh less.

WOOOO!!!

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2015, 05:48:46 AM »

I might be wrong but I always thought part of an items weight was also how awkward or bulky an item was to carry. A ten pound weight is alot smaller than say a five pound bird cage for example. Not sure if thats really the case.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2015, 06:05:46 AM »
The Lock Picker's Friend (dagger item) is supposed to resemble a lockpick of sorts, right? I think it could do with a weight reduction as well.
I found it odd how an entire dagger made of bone weighed less than a lockpick item. Nobody carries those items around for combat purposes either.

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2015, 08:33:42 AM »
I see that the "Knightly Cloak" has been remade. It offers now influence bonus (minor) and has now an 8 pound weight! Also Petre sells it for 1580 gold. Currently i think this item is overpriced and useless.
Istavan the sages book -> still would like to see this removed. Completely ineffective and useless. The bonus and negative parts also contradict each other. (+1 search +1 lore -2 INT =0 bonus for these)And it just drops too often. Basicly even for a filler item it is too much.

Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2015, 08:52:38 AM »
I agree with most things about the book, but at least it gives +1 listen
Tobias Loarca | Braern Delsaryn | Anwar