You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Resets and how they relate to spawns  (Read 4781 times)

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
Resets and how they relate to spawns
« on: November 28, 2014, 10:58:53 PM »
I've been curious for a long time now, why does a server reset also reset spawns?  Not to say that I don't understand how it's possible that this occurs, but I mean -why- does it occur-why don't spawns ignore resets and come back at the strength that they each were respectfully prior to?

Tobias Loarca | Braern Delsaryn | Anwar

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
Re: Resets and how they relate to spawns
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 11:05:29 PM »
Moved this to the appropriate section of the forums. Tech Discussion is for general computer-related discussion and technical help.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

McNastea

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 11:34:11 PM »
Thank you, wasn't sure where this went in the forum myself

RyuShandril

• New to the Mists
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 12:00:28 PM »
I think it might actually be intentional. I think having a total reset might be easier on server resources if it doesn`t need to track different spawns. That, and the spawn scripts sometimes don`t fire like they should, so it likely prevents the server from crashing on reset. On the other hand, I`d like to see perhaps an increase in the rates that spawns build, although this in itself raises certain issues, like parties grinding the same areas over and over.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 12:23:44 PM »
It does store the power levels between resets. If what you experienced is that you came back to a dungeon after a reset and the spawn level seemed lower, it's because on reset, the current losses are calculated.

McNastea

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 07:46:48 PM »
My experience has been that after a reset -every- single spawn on the server is as low as it can be. After a crash it's sort of up in the air what they'll come out as, I assume this is because after a crash the server just rolls back where as after a reset it starts fresh. If the server is supposed to bring spawns back as they were before the reset, it's not doing it. At all. They start entirely weakened and have to work their way back up over a period of hours.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 07:50:08 PM »
My experience has been that after a reset -every- single spawn on the server is as low as it can be. After a crash it's sort of up in the air what they'll come out as, I assume this is because after a crash the server just rolls back where as after a reset it starts fresh. If the server is supposed to bring spawns back as they were before the reset, it's not doing it. At all. They start entirely weakened and have to work their way back up over a period of hours.

I'll try to look at it, but from my initial investigation, they store and are restored perfectly as they should. Could you try to elaborate on your experiences a bit more? Is it when there's a reset while you are clearing a dungeon (which would create the effect I described above) or do you actually check out spawn levels but leave them be and then find them lowered after a reset?

McNastea

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 07:53:52 PM »
I'll try and be more systematic about it and see if I can check some places before and after

But from my experience here for nearly the past year it's been that after a reset, no matter where we go (and I can go check quite a few places out at this point) everything is the lowest spawn you could ever think to find it on.

For instance, go to Har'Akir after a reset and I can guarantee the temples will have single mummy spawn groups. The Oasis will be empty, maybe one lesser flame snake. That sort of thing.

Lucadia

• Dark Power
  • Feral Mystic
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 12:34:24 PM »
Soren, the Innitial spawns after a reset are almost always at their lowest points, in every place possible. I used to use my wizard after a reset, after speaking with the Vistani seerer to ask about where to find treasure, she wont say anything if the spawn is too low. Then I would double back with said wizard in haste and check about everything from top of Baratak to Hazlan. This has occurred many times with scouting a place but not touching it before the reset also. Perfidus was always the fast and easiest to check for testing.

Ie: Pitfiend and gelygons on first map, maxed at every spawn point. Come back after a reset, you may find the map empty or just a few hamatulas

Theres often a flurry of tell storms after resets also of players looking for a dungeon to do and end up having wait for about 24 hours.

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 12:21:17 PM »
Soren, the Innitial spawns after a reset are almost always at their lowest points, in every place possible. I used to use my wizard after a reset, after speaking with the Vistani seerer to ask about where to find treasure, she wont say anything if the spawn is too low. Then I would double back with said wizard in haste and check about everything from top of Baratak to Hazlan. This has occurred many times with scouting a place but not touching it before the reset also. Perfidus was always the fast and easiest to check for testing.

Ie: Pitfiend and gelygons on first map, maxed at every spawn point. Come back after a reset, you may find the map empty or just a few hamatulas

Theres often a flurry of tell storms after resets also of players looking for a dungeon to do and end up having wait for about 24 hours.

I can also vouch for this being the case.
: )

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 12:35:05 PM »
So I double and triple checked - and did find the issue! It was just hiding quite cleverly.

Thanks for your perseverance, it'll be fixed by next update.

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 12:40:50 PM »
So I double and triple checked - and did find the issue! It was just hiding quite cleverly.

<3
: )

ILLY6666

• Undead Master
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 12:53:39 PM »
All hail Zarathustra217!  :D
"What is a day, without  a blessed night?
And what is peace, without a blessed fight?"

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 12:58:44 PM »
So.. just making sure I follow this correctly... After this fix.. if a spawn is maxed out before a reset... and the reset happens.. once you come back the spawn should still be maxed...Da?

Sorry one of those days right now

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

McNastea

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 01:31:57 PM »

Soren is da bezzzt ^_^

McNastea

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2015, 08:07:48 PM »
This is happening upon player initiated resets

Delete Me

• Bah humbug
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2015, 08:44:41 PM »
I have noticed this as well. 
Delete Me.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2015, 09:00:24 PM »
Could it be changed so that spawns are maxed after a reset or would that also be bad?

McNastea

• Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2015, 09:14:26 PM »
I'd say the most preferable thing would be for spawns to remain at the level they were prior to a reset, after a reset. If they go minimum, some people will vote no to a reset to prevent it, even if the server needs a reset. If they go max, people might try to force a reset when none is needed, so that they can get to a max spawn (and could lead to abuse, running a dungeon then resetting for max, etc)

If they just stayed the same no one would care and people would vote for or against resets only as they deemed necessary for the server itself.

Also, it seems silly that they should change between resets-it's apparent that only the player inititated resets are causing this. Crashes and DM resets don't seem to, so I don't see why a player reset should. Based on the initial answer to this thread the first time I brought it up, they aren't supposed to change anyway.

Grendlykins, Simp of Azalin Rex

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2015, 09:48:52 PM »
I'll certainly agree that player initiated vote resets are changing the spawns, but not all of them come out as minimum spawn. The vast majority tend to but on very rare occasion it has the opposite effect, sending previously low or minimum spawns up by quite a few notches. Tergs going from nothing more than the weakest dregs up to some Bone Golem spawns being one example. At this point I'm tempted on my own experiences to simply say that a vote reset randomizes the spawns with an inclination towards lower difficulty, but mine is a limited vantage point.