Author Topic: Cannon maps being used?  (Read 3736 times)

Ellana Twiggy

Cannon maps being used?
« on: October 18, 2014, 11:27:27 PM »
This is more of a personal query than anything else, but what cannon maps are actually being used here?

I've nearly all the supplemental material put out by the various companies over the years for the core and ravenloft, and for the life of me I cannot find some things which are in the server. Even with checking and cross referencing things with wiki and the fraternity of shadows, there are some things which don't make sense unless they are things which the devs simply decided to add and pop in for our enjoyment. Still, I would love to see what actual map is being used for places like barovia, hazlan, etc and so forth.

DM Vinculum

• Dark Power
Re: Cannon maps being used?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 11:34:13 PM »
Where Barovia is concerned there are some differences. The size of Vallaki and the emphasis on that region for one. Also, I believe Dennegway and the Dwarven city are creations of Bluebomber.
Red Vardo Traders Faction DM
Fraternity of Shadows Faction DM

Geiger

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 11:37:46 PM »
Where Barovia is concerned there are some differences. The size of Vallaki and the emphasis on that region for one. Also, I believe Dennegway and the Dwarven city are creations of Bluebomber.

The Double Dees are creations by the Kargataene Website or the FoS website, they are fanon. They're in one of the Quoth the Raven Articles, or some other thing that was developed by one of those places. What we have in game though are Blue's interpretations of those, though. I think.

Ellana Twiggy

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 12:20:23 AM »

The Double Dees are creations by the Kargataene Website or the FoS website, they are fanon. They're in one of the Quoth the Raven Articles, or some other thing that was developed by one of those places. What we have in game though are Blue's interpretations of those, though. I think.

Wait, so deganwy and dervish are fan fiction? I am slightly confused now. . .0.o
I never checked up on those two, I had assumed they were some misc thing I missed in research since I was paying more attention to the village of barovia and some other areas.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 12:24:06 AM »
VoB is very much based on canon; it's been expanded of course to add more content but most things are taken from the Gaz, the original module, the 3E Expedition adventure or some other adventures.

Could you be more specific about things you noticed that don't make sense and where? The topic as it is is not constructive at all.

DM Stygian Witch

• Read books, not tablets!
  • Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
  • I love Vecna more than the Morninglord!
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 08:24:12 AM »

Undead Sea Scrolls.
You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
C.S. Lewis.

Geiger

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 08:48:07 AM »
There we go!

DM Macabre

• Dungeon Master
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 09:30:37 AM »
Almost all maps we have in the module are VERY much canon - despite some parts of Vallaki, the Zarcroft asylumn and the von Zeklos Keep. I checked most of them and they really acurate.

Ellana Twiggy

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 10:44:27 AM »
This is the fraternity of shadows map for vob:

This is one of the cannon maps from a module:
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRbW9PQKhGdKd2FLgJQPQtWM2byzid0DTOEfAh0bxiihxwu2xNK

Granted there are some other maps and my modules might be outdated since nearly all of my material I physically have is 2nd ed, heh. But I was more curious as to the fanes and such really,  and the road leading out of the village.

The frat of shadows map seems to keep with this cannon map as opposed to the other cannon map:

It honestly isn't a big deal, as I said originally I am more curious than anything about how it meshes.  As for the ones mentioned with zarcroft and zeklos, I must not be looking hard enough, but I can't seem to find any regional for valliki or around it. Any links?

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 11:31:24 AM »
The second map, which is the only cannon map in there, is exactly how things are portrayed in game. Look where the North is on that map and you'll see it corresponds to what we have in-game.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 02:55:20 PM »
Degannwy and Dvergeheim are my creations, based loosely on the entries for Moloch and Lorelei in the 2003 edition of the Undead Sea Scrolls, a fan-made netbook from the Fraternity of Shadows. They're not canon at all, but I made sure nothing in them contradicted canon -- in other words, they're an addition, not a replacement.

The maps of the Village of Barovia region are not different from what we have, you just have to keep in mind that 2 of the 3 maps you posted are flipped on their side, with north pointing to the right. If you flip them so that north is pointing up, you'll see that they match up just fine.

Our version of the Village itself are a little off, but I plan on adding another area to correct that. Bear in mind that the NWN engine doesn't allow for the diagonal streets that are drawn on those maps.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Ellana Twiggy

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 08:54:38 PM »
Degannwy and Dvergeheim are my creations, based loosely on the entries for Moloch and Lorelei in the 2003 edition of the Undead Sea Scrolls, a fan-made netbook from the Fraternity of Shadows. They're not canon at all, but I made sure nothing in them contradicted canon -- in other words, they're an addition, not a replacement.

The maps of the Village of Barovia region are not different from what we have, you just have to keep in mind that 2 of the 3 maps you posted are flipped on their side, with north pointing to the right. If you flip them so that north is pointing up, you'll see that they match up just fine.

Our version of the Village itself are a little off, but I plan on adding another area to correct that. Bear in mind that the NWN engine doesn't allow for the diagonal streets that are drawn on those maps.
Aha, marvelous. I will certainly be looking forward to it! :)

Crimson Shuriken

• Happy Shoulders
  • Dark Power
  • Flying through the air with deadly intent!
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 02:57:32 PM »
I too have taken note before of the accuracy. PotM is insanely accurate in most respects. Even down to the layout of interior areas at times, such as  Blood o' the Vine, Castle Ravenloft interiors etc.  Its a work of art really, perhaps completely lost on those not as familiar but at least what they "know" is what a P&P junkie would also "know" for the most part. I've always had a quiet respect for that attention to detail here.

I'm so casual, my shoes look like feet.