Author Topic: Sithican Elf Help Wanted, Please.  (Read 13920 times)

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
Re: Sithican Elf Help Wanted, Please.
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2015, 04:17:17 PM »
I can assure you that they'd at least be treated like caliban are in Barovia, or worse.  Kender or not, they look near identical.  That fact alone would make any Sithican wary. 
They really don't look identical, and the they certainly don't behave at all in the same ways. The elves would know that halflings are not kender.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Truth_USMC

• Undead Master
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2016, 05:02:12 PM »
As a concept I wanted to make a Sithican elven monk, who's been delving into the past of all the dragon iconography and remaining recorded lore etc. trying to reconnect with the past and the greatness they had.  The silvanesti elves in krynn had a group of mystics (hence the monk) who paid homage to Paladine (which I assume is the dragon iconography left to ruin in Sithicus) whom they called a different name of E'li and viewed as a creator of sorts.  Anyone got some input that can help flesh this out a bit more, I'm not super well versed in Dragonlance stuff and I'd like to know how to tie it into the ravenloft setting better.
'Smile, be polite and have a plan to kill everyone you meet" -Marine saying

Truth_USMC

• Undead Master
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2017, 01:32:22 PM »
Wanted to bring this thread back to life for a bit.  I read on Fraternity of Shadows somewhere, that a select few Sithican elves are still following certain deities from Dragonlance, which they apparently remember despite the tendency for false histories in the Cores nations.  Is that accurate?

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2017, 03:44:13 PM »
It's not a canon source, so you can't take that as accurate.

That being said, I see no reason why your character could not remember the Krynnish gods in some fashion. It's just a background element after all, and some players got away with far worse than that. Your views on the gods would only be seen with uncaring indifference or outright lunacy by your fellow Sithicans.

Though you should take care to portray a very important element to the ravenloft setting in regards to outsider faiths: paradigm shifts. Just as the churches of Bane and the Morninglord are different than their Faerunian counterpart, so should your worship of the Krynnish gods. First thing coming to mind, it would be kind of hard to see Paladine and Takhisis as the creators of dragons in a world where they are virtually inexistant. So maybe the best thing would be to go half-way between krynnish and Sithican Lore. Remember their names and general purpose, but do view them as the Many-Headed Devourer of Heat and Darkness and the Adamantium Dragon of Cold and Reason. Their memory of them, having been veiled but not entirely erased, by the Dark Powers.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 03:47:21 PM by MAB77 »
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

Truth_USMC

• Undead Master
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2017, 11:34:53 PM »
That's actually precisely what I had in mind, a slightly more fatalistic and grim view of otherwise goodly aligned religion.  I was leaning more towards possibly Branchalla or Mishakal which is what was mentioned in FoS, and they're main Dragonlance elven deities besides Paladine.  I do like the giving different names idea, makes it more suited for Ravenloft.

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2017, 01:22:48 AM »
You might also consider Gilean, the neutral god of knowledge. While not as commonly worshiped by elves as the two you mentioned, he did have some clerics among the Silvanesti of Krynn. The fact that he's described as a passionless and uncaring observer seems like a fitting choice for a Sithican to me.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2017, 10:19:23 PM »
Sithican elves haven't forgotten the deities of Krynn, they stopped worshipping them because they believe that they have been abandoned by the gods. The elves believed that their presence in the demiplane was in the service of the gods to punish Soth, and that if Soth were to leave or be destroyed that service would end and that would return to Krynn. Instead, the Hour of Screaming Shadows happened and Soth apparently died, but the elves were not freed, and still remain. This is why they no longer worship the gods of Krynn and ave fallen into despair.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

buyonegetonefree

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2017, 02:41:11 AM »
Also remember that sithican elves using their own language, which is analogue of RL Welsh language. As far as I understand they still may know elven d&d one, but they rarely use it.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2017, 07:53:17 AM »
Also remember that sithican elves using their own language, which is analogue of RL Welsh language. As far as I understand they still may know elven d&d one, but they rarely use it.

Correction. Sithican and Silvanesti is the same language. The difference is that sithicans pronounce their S in a highly sibilant way, making the language sound much less melodious than Krynnish Sylvanesti. Also, in effect, elves with different dialects of the elven language can always understand each other, provided they communicate slowly and make efforts to understand each other.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.