Author Topic: Zone-dependent roleplay XP  (Read 111512 times)

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
Zone-dependent roleplay XP
« on: March 07, 2013, 02:24:43 PM »
(This is something that actually came up very long ago, but I've suddenly came upon it recently and decided it was time to give it a go.)

By next update, I've updated the roleplay XP script so that it will not reward you XP if you are in a low level zone and are a high level character. To make this easy to manage, the system works by tapping into an already existing feature that tracks the average level of all who've entered an area. This new change will make it so that you will only get roleplay XP if no more than 1.5x the average level of entries in that area (though area average is always considered as being at least 5)

As you might have guessed, this is to encourage higher levels to hang out away from low level zones.

Enjoy! (and share your experiences below)

airengale

• Dark Lord
  • Security, is mortals' chiefest enemy.
Re: Zone-dependent roleplay XP
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 02:29:59 PM »
And with regards to those in a faction, such as a Vallaki Garda or ML faction member; is there some sort of exclusion to this system? Both faction members are typically anchored down to locations like Vallaki or the Village.

Sethraan Synne - "The righteous will receive their reward."
Horatiu Bochinsky - "It's just a job."
Aleah Althanos - "Today is a glorious day to die!"

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 02:34:53 PM »
While I'm happy to see movement on this idea, the implementation means that "low level" is merely where low levels hang out; not anywhere intrinstic like, say, the Mist Camp being high level; or the Port.

It means that any influx of lowbies into a high level RP event will punish the high level characters by depriving them of RP XP.

For example, say I'm playing a level 20 PC and I'm in the Port for an event there... any influx of low level PCs that taeks the average level below 13 will mean I don't get RP XP.

I see this as a negative side effect. Not all high level interaction with low level PCs should be discouraged. Especially not scheduled events like a Port play, etc.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 02:40:22 PM by aprogressivist »
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 02:35:18 PM »
Home faith Ezrites and 4th sect ezrites as welll...how is this going to work? No exp for rp? :shock: :shock: :shock:

“In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power… Green Lantern’s light!”

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 02:42:08 PM »
While I'm happy to see movement on this idea, the implementation means that "low level" is merely where low levels hang out; not anywhere intrinstic like, say, the Mist Camp; or the Port.

It means that any influx of lowbies into a high level RP event will punish the high level characters by depriving them of RP XP.

For example, say I'm playing a level 20 PC and I'm in the Port for an event there... any influx of low level PCs that taeks the average level below 13 will mean I don't get RP XP.

I see this as a negative side effect. Not all high level interaction with low level PCs should be discouraged. Especially not scheduled events like a Port play, etc.

I don't think you'd care much for roleplay XP if you are level 20 ;)

But also, the value isn't dependent on those currently in the area, but the general level of entries since last reset. This means that even if a lot of low levels should come to Dementlieu for an event, it's unlikely they'll bring the total average down to an extend that it'll be an issue.

As for those factions that have their bases in Barovia, it's most likely that they'll still get roleplay XP around their base, but simply not in the western outskirts and low level dungeons.

Lucadia

• Dark Power
  • Feral Mystic
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 02:45:15 PM »
destroys..mentor rp..wonderful.

and implying some of us are lv 20 when we are not..guh

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 02:50:33 PM »
destroys..mentor rp..wonderful.

Not at all. The low level still gain the XP through roleplay. And if the mentor wants to learn new things himself, he can simply bring his student with him out in the world.

and implying some of us are lv 20 when we are not..guh

?

Haplo Nexus

• Dark Lord
  • "Innocence proves nothing."
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 02:52:55 PM »
There are very many areas near Vallaki that have a constant supply of lowbies streaming through them. Inn rp, Outskirts rp, Church and even Degannwy are now rather senseless places for higher levels to visit. Why make a change that actively discourages rp?

Lucadia

• Dark Power
  • Feral Mystic
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 02:53:53 PM »
sure, low level gets rp xp, but the high level dont for mentoring. Its a double wammie for any high level, they dont get exp unless they bring said student to..a dungeon . Funny thing if you bring somebody thats too low to a high level area and they dont get exp either.

Apocrypha

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 02:54:40 PM »
I feel especially bad for the Morninglord Faction.
Banned Indefinitely.

DangerousToGoAlone

• New to the Mists
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 02:57:13 PM »
I think this actually discourages RP, and promotes cliques. High levels staying away from lowbies and to themselves, and no longer seeking out new people/lowbies at the Outskirts or other above mentioned lowbie areas.

While not everyone cares that much about exp, progression is still a natural part of the game, due to the dnd system used in nwn.

Solo-ing or dungeoneering is more appealing to many high levels with this than seek out people to RP with and meet, amongst the lowbie areas.

Or even some areas used by high levels like Degannwy, that is still closeby the lowbie areas, with lowbies travelling through.
Anaya Firewind - Kagonesti Shaman
Vanessa Whitemantle - Revered Daughter of Paladine

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 02:59:26 PM »
Yeah, I'm never a fan of anything being taken away.  I'd rather them have maybe gotten a small boost for meeting the criteria listed rather then get nothing at all if they don't.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 03:00:04 PM »
I'd like to suggest that you implement a debugging option that reads the average level area and displays it to the player, then... that will at least help alleviate confusion. I still think it's not entirely to have such subjectivity because it will make it less appealing for high levels to encourage a migration of lower level PCs to "their" areas. I know for example that there have been several low level PCs migrating to the Port of late to revive RP there.

I guess there are two points on which this can be tweaked to make it more palatable:

1) tweak the number at which you stop getting XP. ( > 1.5 * average level doesn't seem unreasonable but I guess I'm not familiar with average level values in various domains)

2) half RP XP rather than reduce it to nothing.

Perhaps a combination of these ideas to make it tiered:

If you exceed 1.5 * the average level, you get half RP XP; if you exceed 2.5 * the average level, you get no XP, etc.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”

airengale

• Dark Lord
  • Security, is mortals' chiefest enemy.
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 03:01:02 PM »
sure, low level gets rp xp, but the high level dont for mentoring. Its a double wammie for any high level, they dont get exp unless they bring said student to..a dungeon . Funny thing if you bring somebody thats too low to a high level area and they dont get exp either.

The hit on xp isn't due to who you are with, but as Soren had said "But also, the value isn't dependent on those currently in the area, but the general level of entries since last reset."

And the solution was that if the mentor wants to learn something, then go out into the world. Not necessarily a dungeon.

Sethraan Synne - "The righteous will receive their reward."
Horatiu Bochinsky - "It's just a job."
Aleah Althanos - "Today is a glorious day to die!"

Lucadia

• Dark Power
  • Feral Mystic
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 03:05:41 PM »
Rather enjoy rping with anyone I come across and have some benefit  instead of having multiple restrictions being placed on who or where your going get xp at, that might be the -only- source for said pc.

Really destroys some of the high level pcs that are more astrompheric in nature and bring enjoyment to everyone else when the log in, instead I see..this harm to low levels in the outskirts when such a pc comes into play now. Or factions..

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 03:06:27 PM »
This is really disappointing. The majority of my XP is RP XP. I feel like I'll be forced to dungeon now, I primarily RP with lower levels. I'm not in with any of the major cliques.

Amon-Si

• Inventor of the cat
  • Dark Power
  • Freelance troublemaker
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 03:07:41 PM »
Interesting. Can't wait to see how it works!

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 03:13:27 PM »
I have to say, I really don't like this. I feel like it makes us forced to stick around characters of similar levels. Levels are not supposed to be considered in that way for RP XP gain. I mean, my principle is a mid-level character. What am I meant to do with him now? Not associate with new characters? Most of my XP comes from RP... I feel like this going to restrict me. Almost like telling me my time hanging out with new characters isn't that worth it.

I never had any bad feelings about the RP XP system before. In fact, I thought it was awesome and worked perfectly, and thought everyone else was good with it to. Why fix what isn't broken?

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2013, 03:15:38 PM »
I would suggest we test this for a week, then deliver informed feedback.

That we can also support with ingame data on our feelings regarding it.

The Prophet of Misinformation

• Kept you waiting, huh?
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Forever #Trigger
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2013, 03:22:35 PM »
While I'm happy to see movement on this idea, the implementation means that "low level" is merely where low levels hang out; not anywhere intrinstic like, say, the Mist Camp being high level; or the Port.

Clearly the only reasonable reaction is to go to Sithicus and STAY in Sithicus.
"The brave man inattentive to his duty, is worth little more to his country than the coward who deserts in the hour of danger."
~Andrew Jackson

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2013, 03:30:18 PM »
is it not simply better to implement this type of system for the low lvl areas thus the areas we use for ncw?
exclude the factions with this system.

then it would be "fair"   

you would then promote server exploration.
the factions are unharmed, thus guards,ezrites,morninglordians,vardo and such can still progress by doing what they should be doing.
it would prevent people from grouping up to much.
and you get less complains  :P
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2013, 03:36:18 PM »
Clearly the only reasonable reaction is to go to Sithicus and STAY in Sithicus.

What happens in Sithicus, stays in Sithicus...

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 03:37:34 PM »
So, if the minimum is 5, and you multiply it by 1.5, that will give you 7.5 rounded up to 8 in areas with high numbers of lvl 2-5 players.

Does that mean that there will never be a garda above lvl 8 unless they dungeon or do all their RP in the citadel with other lvl 8 garda or go outside of Barovia?   Sweet, time to roll up a rebel.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 03:42:43 PM »
You guys surely know to whip up drama :P

I don't think you've actually considered the numbers. It is in fact quite lenient.

In far the most, if not all areas outside Barovia, the average level is above 12, meaning even level 19 will get RP XP there.

In the Western Outskrits the average has lately been around 7-8 meaning that only people above level 12 would not gain XP there.

And then, yes, we can adjust the numbers as we go. I did consider simply making it gradually reduce XP, but there can be certain technical aspects that'll complicate this.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 03:47:34 PM »
Add:

Actually, I'm waiting for one of the other developers to send me an update before I upload this update to the server, so I think I'll try to possibly tweak it already - so that above 1.5x avg. level gives half RP XP and only above 2.0x is it reduced to zero. Perhaps that'll calm things down while we all test it.