You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Cool Flags, Bro  (Read 44732 times)

Dread

• Dark Power
Re: Cool Flags, Bro
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2014, 02:29:41 PM »
I think Nova Vaasa has a warship that they use to deal with pirates affecting trade going on in the Nocturnal Sea, but not much more than that. The Nocturnal Sea is probably even more dangerous than the Sea of Sorrows, given you have islands all over the place that you run the risk of running a-ground on.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2014, 02:48:46 PM »
Is there an actual family crest, sigil or flag for the Wachter Family? I do know they use the colours yellow, red and blue, but I can't find out what it would look like.
Judging from the guard uniforms the yellow appears to be the primary colour, with dark red for the borders, so I am speculating that blue is used for the details?

Either way I haven't found any canon source that reveals what the actual crest looks like, but am I correct in guessing it might be based off of the image below?
It is apparently the sort of crest associated with the slavic Wachter noble family surname, according to sources from google. Might just be a strange coincedence.

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2014, 03:15:54 PM »
Is there an actual family crest, sigil or flag for the Wachter Family? I do know they use the colours yellow, red and blue, but I can't find out what it would look like.
Judging from the guard uniforms the yellow appears to be the primary colour, with dark red for the borders, so I am speculating that blue is used for the details?

Either way I haven't found any canon source that reveals what the actual crest looks like, but am I correct in guessing it might be based off of the image below?
It is apparently the sort of crest associated with the slavic Wachter noble family surname, according to sources from google. Might just be a strange coincedence.

Correct assumption. The Coat of arms is an inspiration, not something in stone. The Blue on that Coat of Arms is out of place.

My notes & inspirations in developing this (Actual dev process) the Actual Design:

Idea behind the (Armors) design:

The armors are meant to be more flamboyant than the armors of Vallaki given Krezk's size and added prestige - there is clear influence from Borca given Krezk proximity with the domain. The colors represent those of Strahd's and Wachter.

Colors:
Black & Red: Strahd
Yellow: Wachters (Wachters are the last old true noble family, they have been loyal to the Von Zarovich family, thus allowed to exist and serve)

Wachter coat of arms:

monsinyana

• Dark Power
  • Dead Post Necromancer
    • Battlelords of the Twenty-Third Century®
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2014, 03:21:18 PM »

Correct assumption. The Coat of arms is an inspiration, not something in stone. The Blue on that Coat of Arms is out of place.

My notes & inspirations in developing this (Actual dev process) the Actual Design:

Idea behind the (Armors) design:

The armors are meant to be more flamboyant than the armors of Vallaki given Krezk's size and added prestige - there is clear influence from Borca given Krezk proximity with the domain. The colors represent those of Strahd's and Wachter.

Colors:
Black & Red: Strahd
Yellow: Wachters (Wachters are the last old true noble family, they have been loyal to the Von Zarovich family, thus allowed to exist and serve)

Wachter coat of arms:

We cant use that image Heretic. I checked. its copyrighted. But now knowing what you like/ want i'll come up with something for you to give feedback on
Loremaster Clydessa G.F. Swift, Toril - Deceased
Sister Anne - Hallowed Witch of Hala, Mordentshire
Frothy! - Devout drunk of Wenta the Alewife, Oerth

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2014, 03:22:35 PM »
Isn't it to "frillsy" for Barovia anyway?

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2014, 03:23:03 PM »
As I said, its not something we are using, its where the inspiration comes from, when it comes to designing the armors. The Wachter don't have a coat of arms of their own, nothing has been made.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2014, 03:27:43 PM »
I assumed it had blue because the yellow letter message when you enter the Wachter outpost gives some kind of description that mentions a red, yellow and blue crest.
Might need to update that message and change it to black instead then.

What kind of symbol would be on the crest if it was made though? Guessing a crown would be implemented somewhere, to indicate ties to the Von Zarovich family.
To me a tower seems fitting for the Wachter side, but that's mostly because wachter coincedentally translates to guard in dutch. And birds are just neat to have.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 03:29:56 PM by Feronius »

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2014, 03:29:38 PM »
I assumed it had blue because the yellow letter message when you enter the Wachter outpost gives some kind of description that mentions a red, yellow and blue crest.

Thanks for pointing it to me, started devving these areas in 2011.

Some stuff, just needs its update.

Boots

• Princess Postledash
  • Dark Power
  • The Bard Queen
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2014, 03:32:09 PM »
So I thought this was the Barovian flag?

Badelaire

« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2014, 04:32:43 PM »
So I thought this was the Barovian flag?

Looks legit, pretty sure it features in Domains of Dread.

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2014, 04:43:06 PM »
As I said, its not something we are using, its where the inspiration comes from, when it comes to designing the armors. The Wachter don't have a coat of arms of their own, nothing has been made.

Barovia got colours?  :lol:

monsinyana

• Dark Power
  • Dead Post Necromancer
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2014, 04:48:01 PM »
How's this grab you heretic?

Shield

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2014, 04:51:20 PM »
How's this grab you heretic?

Shield

Very cool.

Would be nice, a wolf & a raven...

monsinyana

• Dark Power
  • Dead Post Necromancer
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2014, 04:54:14 PM »
I'll see what i can do thats a good idea! :)

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2014, 05:26:35 PM »
Having a wolf and a raven together might be too similar to the Von Zarovich crest, though.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2014, 05:52:01 PM »
Those are nicely done!

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2014, 06:07:32 PM »
Having a wolf and a raven together might be too similar to the Von Zarovich crest, though.

Yeah, on second thought.

Try the wolf alone, if possible.

They look awesome, by the way.

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2014, 07:18:38 PM »

Actually, that's Bato's work.

Gonna check which area it is & change it.

Geiger

« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2014, 07:25:13 PM »
Border Outpost Zeklos, El Tigre.

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2014, 07:27:35 PM »
Border Outpost Zeklos, El Tigre.

Gracias, amigo.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlanvFkIR2s[/youtube]

monsinyana

• Dark Power
  • Dead Post Necromancer
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2014, 07:51:53 PM »
heh.. i just saw the new posts after i came to put up the Raven & Wolf

it would of been so much easier to make just a wolf lol.. anyway here is the Wolf & Raven.. ill post a Wolf version shortly

Boots

• Princess Postledash
  • Dark Power
  • The Bard Queen
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2014, 07:56:25 PM »
Goddamn mexicans and your hats and style.

Awesome flags Mon!

monsinyana

• Dark Power
  • Dead Post Necromancer
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2014, 08:36:53 PM »
                                                                                                     Variation 2 w/ Raven
Wolf version                                                                                                

I think this one is too 'cheerful' for Barovia, but a different variation for you

« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 08:41:33 PM by monsinyana »

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2014, 09:01:08 PM »
Nice work. Have you considered giving "Variant 2 w/ Raven" a yellow background with red eyes instead? I think that'd look even better.
I like how you didn't just go for pure black to preserve the details, I'd go a little bit darker though as it comes dangerously close to gray.

I did like the one with the raven and the red wolves as well, although simplicity for the crest itself and one iconic animal is probably best.

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2014, 09:31:05 PM »
Nice work. Have you considered giving "Variant 2 w/ Raven" a yellow background with red eyes instead? I think that'd look even better.
I like how you didn't just go for pure black to preserve the details, I'd go a little bit darker though as it comes dangerously close to gray.

Could always invert the grey and the black. Thus the grey would be the detail, black would be the base color.