Author Topic: Cool Flags, Bro  (Read 44697 times)

Dread

• Dark Power
Cool Flags, Bro
« on: February 21, 2013, 11:43:23 PM »
I stumbled upon some pretty neat flags, on SA's art thread. Clearly, these are not my creations, but I think a lot of them are pretty sweet representations of different countries in the Core.

BAROVIA

BLAUSTEIN

DEMENTLIEU

DVERGEHEIM

FALKOVNIA

MORDENT

PARIDON

RICHEMULOT

Mailbox0000

Re: Cool Flags, Bro
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 04:56:09 PM »

Nice! 

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 05:31:49 PM »
Representations, so they're not canon? Are there canon flags?

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 05:34:19 PM »

I think the coat-of-arms of Von Zarovich is canon, but I can't find it anywhere, unfortunately.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 05:49:02 PM »
They're awesome regardless... could try to mod some shields or other equipment with those banners...
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

YouLitABonfire

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 06:29:36 PM »
i want a barovia shield.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 06:56:33 PM »
I don't believe there are any canon flags for the domains, as historically speaking the practice of flying a flag to indicate a country of origin didn't happen in the real world until the 17th century with maritime flags on sailing ships, and didn't become common for civilian use "on land" until the 18th century.

Prior to that, flags were usually limited to a particular family or ruler.

There are, however, canon flags of coats of arms for various families, such as the noble families of Mordent.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 06:59:15 PM by Bluebomber4evr »

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 07:12:04 PM »
Ah, yeah there are the coat-of-arms for all the various families of Mordent, most of which have died out. They're all in Gazetteer I, if memory serves.

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 07:24:45 PM »
Ah, yeah there are the coat-of-arms for all the various families of Mordent, most of which have died out. They're all in Gazetteer I, if memory serves.
Gazeteer III :P

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 07:31:47 PM »
Gazeteer III :P

DRAT!

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 09:41:57 PM »
I have to say the Barovian flag is the only one that disappoints, I expected a raven & crown or something.

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 11:30:13 AM »
I do wish we could have flags. Then again we do we have the raven the falcon etc

Also blue his first post in this topic made me want post a sheldon vid of fun with flags but I won't
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

RigorMortis

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 01:17:42 PM »
Well, Banners have been used since the middle ages to determine loyalty and house representation. Flags to me aren't too far off from banners and it might be different and cool to have a few standards lying about. I would love for them to be used in DM events such as the war between Falkovnia and Dementeliu, it would offer alot of flavor and generally because I enjoy the practice of Heraldry and Bannersmen.

Well done with these flags, they look excellent.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 11:41:10 AM »
I think the flags in the original post have a bit too much of a modern and stylised feel, just my opinion though.

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 01:44:51 PM »
Well, they're not originally mine; they were intended to be used with a Shadowrun campaign and I thought them appropriate. Besides, though I realize they're somewhat anachronistic, I think it's good to have a symbol by which one can identify a given country with, be it with a coat of arms or a flag or a banner.

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 02:01:26 PM »
Perhaps, but many of those symbols are odd and don't really fit (Barovia in particular). Although I'm not normally a stickler for historical accuracy, in this case I think I would prefer medieval family banners over national flags.

Roose

• Dark Power
  • Neat.
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2013, 11:48:01 PM »

DEMENTLIEU

This is a Cannon flag..  ^-^
Three people can keep a secret, if two of them are dead.

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2014, 07:14:40 AM »
Lamordia's flag, using the Von Aubrecker's coat of arms.

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

monsinyana

• Dark Power
  • Dead Post Necromancer
    • Battlelords of the Twenty-Third Century®
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2014, 07:56:29 PM »
the next time we do a content hak update i hope we add flags, shields, cloaks and surcoats that are relevant to the setting.

Ezra, Hala, Morninglord, Wachter, Von zarovich, the borcan families, mordent, dementeau, etc

maybe even replace some of the existing ones sInce some do not look that good.

i can help with this but im only interested in doing it if its actually going to go in.
Loremaster Clydessa G.F. Swift, Toril - Deceased
Sister Anne - Hallowed Witch of Hala, Mordentshire
Frothy! - Devout drunk of Wenta the Alewife, Oerth

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2014, 09:15:38 AM »
....Well if anyone knows how to edit the files of each flag, we could indluce an override that changes them to the heralds of the nation's leaders/sub-heads.

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2014, 12:05:05 PM »
the next time we do a content hak update i hope we add flags, shields, cloaks and surcoats that are relevant to the setting.

Ezra, Hala, Morninglord, Wachter, Von zarovich, the borcan families, mordent, dementeau, etc

i can help with this but im only interested in doing it if its actually going to go in.
We can't put stuff into a hak that doesn't exist. Someone would have to make these things (and make them well) first.

....Well if anyone knows how to edit the files of each flag, we could indluce an override that changes them to the heralds of the nation's leaders/sub-heads.
As I've already said, the flags shown in this thread aren't canon and aren't really appropriate.

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2014, 12:19:50 PM »

We can't put stuff into a hak that doesn't exist. Someone would have to make these things (and make them well) first.

As I've already said, the flags shown in this thread aren't canon and aren't really appropriate.

Could we not tweak to add it in anyway?

On the other hand, flags are a pretty "modern" thing in the world to. Banners sure, but national flags was uncommon. I think the first national flag was the Danish?

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2014, 01:01:12 PM »

Could we not tweak to add it in anyway?

On the other hand, flags are a pretty "modern" thing in the world to. Banners sure, but national flags was uncommon. I think the first national flag was the Danish?
I was trying to politely state that I don't want these flags in the module. No offense to the person who created them or to Venge, but they're not appropriate, and some of them don't even make sense.

If we were to include any flags/banners at all, they should be the ones from these links:

http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/Mausoleum/Heraldry_MikesAdamis.html

http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/Mausoleum/Heraldry_of_the_Core.html