Author Topic: Some details on Half Vistani  (Read 6301 times)

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
Some details on Half Vistani
« on: January 28, 2012, 09:33:15 AM »
I have not found in other threads of the forum an extensive resource on Half-Vistani despite some useful information are available in game, when selecting the subrace at creation (like for instance the choice of the tribe). These are anyway resources which are common for all Half-Vistani and should kept in mind when playing one. The resources are taken from "Domains of Dread" pages 240-242. I will summarize when I can and quote when I must.

Vistani are not a playable race, as pureblood, but the Half-Vistani can be played. Their name is Giomorgo, who are born by a parent who is a Vistana and one who is human. A very rare version of Half-Vistani is the Giamarga, that is a half breed of a Vistana and an elf. There are not giomorgo communities, but, as other half-breeds (such as half-elves), these are folks who have some difficulty to be accepted by any of the groups of their parents. Giomorgos, in fact, may be accepted by Vistani, but the reaction of them could easily be the same xenophobic one of a typical Barovian.

Giomorgo resemble physically the pureblood Vistani, keeping the same dark complexion, dark hair, dark eyes (from black to dark brown). Their features tend to be angular. Giomorgo can prefer the style of their Vistani parents or that of the human parents, but whereas humans can too easily be deceived by their dresses and behaviour, Vistani will never be fooled by a giomorgo: that is, a giomorgo will be confused for a pure Vistana by a human, but she will never cheat a Vistana; same it goes for a giomorgo who tries to pretend being fully human, humans could even consider them as such, but Vistani would see through the "disguise". The fear of the revelation of their true nature is a sort of paranoia which should be felt by any giomorgo character: some could hide it better than others but never defeat it completely. Nevertheless, on the other hand, they won't ever deny fully their own mingled identity. Paranoia on a side, pride on another.

The giomorgo tend to be loners, to have a good skill to find allies and many acquaintances, but never fully trusting anyone. Their embittered souls basically do not allow them to be more compassionate than they are, and they do not even pretend to be.

They have some special powers. Some of them are already described when selecting the subrace at character creation, but there are some things which are not "mechanical" and need to be RPed out.

Giomorgo can identify easily plants and animals as a druid and determine which water is safe to drink. The relation with nature does not end here because they can easily make campfires too. Giomorgo are familiar with tralaks, the "secret" glyphs used by Vistani, with very favourable rolls (after a successful INT check, only 1 on 20 is a fail to really understand what's the meaning). It is worth to point out that giomorgo are not supposed to know Patterna, but only this enhanced confidence with tralaks.

The final thing I would like to point out is the Lunatio, the "curse" of giomorgo (Vistani are supposed to be more resistant to this curse). It happens in the THREE nights of the month when the full moon is shining. The giomorgo, during those nights, will be wholly unable to sleep, thus being, supposedly, unable to heal non magically and to memorize new spells. Supposedly the character should suffer from -2 penalty on all the saves, if somehow it is not technically doable, consider if you play a giomorgo you feel basically weaker. The Lunatio has, furthermore, a maddening effect: on each of the three nights it should be rolled a madness check. If the first fails, the giomorgo will try to run wild under the stars; if a second time it fails, the giomorgo becomes aggressive and violent; if a third time it is failed, the character is completely insane until the moon phase changes again.

On the Lunatio, of course there cannot be a full availability of a DM at all the times to supervise this, or even "enforce" this. But it is a vital part of the subrace which should be roleplayed autonomously such as, to compare to an example, the moon phases for a werecreature or the approaching of the dawn for a vampire. And it could give way also to some form of creative RP :)

Cheers for now.

[EDIT] Half-Vistani is GIOMORGO and not GIOGOTO as sometimes I have seen in game. Giogoto is a special role within Vistani tribes which is given to some loyal, very friendly, non-Vistana. A giomorgo CAN be also giogoto but it is not the same thing, and it may well be that a giomorgo is fully despised by the Vistana tribe of their parent.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 09:39:11 AM by DM Tarokka »

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
Re: Some details on Half Vistani
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 12:24:20 PM »
http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=5838.msg128739#msg128739

Its canon, but might need to tweat the giogoto references to the new 'Giomorgo', as it seems to be older.

That above was taken from our old' http://www.nwnravenloft.com/world_races.html#half-vistani' - Which you can still see.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 12:31:14 PM by Heretic »

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 02:06:54 PM »
Giogoto aren't necessarily non-Vistani. It's a term members of one specific tribe use for friends/allies outside of their tribe. It can even be used for another full-blooded Vistani of another tribe.

The Giogoto/Giomorgo error came straight from the Ravenloft 3rd Edition Campaign Setting book. I'm surprised they made such an error. :-/

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 04:19:25 PM »
Yeah the giogoto is an adoption to a tribe so it can be related also to other Vistani, Half-Vistani or humans (reference for this is Van Richten's Monster Compendium vol 3, p.112)

DM Strigoi

• Vampire Extraordinaire
  • Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
  • i never drink vine...
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 06:46:00 PM »
It is worth to point out that giomorgo are not supposed to know Patterna, but only this enhanced confidence with tralaks

i like all the information here, but disagree with the above quote. i believe its left up to the players back story if their characters can speak patterna or not. Varmathus vonovich my first Garda was a Half-Vistani (which seldom knew since i hid it), and was raised by his barovian parents, he did not speak the language. but my character Viktor was raised by his vistani parrent untill he was old enough to survive on his own, so he speaks it fluently.

Current Plot: Undying

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 02:22:14 AM »
The reason Half-Vistani almost never know patterna is because they're almost never raised by their Vistani parent. 99.99% of the time a half-Vistani is raised by their non-Vistani parent.

DM Strigoi

• Vampire Extraordinaire
  • Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
  • i never drink vine...
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 02:52:00 AM »
The reason Half-Vistani almost never know patterna is because they're almost never raised by their Vistani parent. 99.99% of the time a half-Vistani is raised by their non-Vistani parent.

i guess my character is part of the .01%!  :rock:

Current Plot: Undying

Merrien

• Undead Slayer
  • "Hell is empty and all the devils are here." -W.S.
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 03:14:26 PM »
On the Lunatio, does that correspond to the full moon in actuality or do DMs keep track of when it is, or how do we know the timing of it? 

Ovidiu_Lacusta

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 03:16:57 PM »
Hitting the Rest dialogue while outside shows phases of the moon I think

Merrien

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 03:22:57 PM »
Fancy!  Thanks :)

Dread

• Developers
  • Community Council
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 03:28:30 PM »

Hey, welcome back! :)

Merrien

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 03:29:45 PM »

Hey, welcome back! :)

Thanks very much :) Glad to be back.

Little Lotte

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 11:35:09 PM »
I've looked all over the forums and the internet, maybe I'm just not looking in the right place or for the right thing but I was wondering, what is the Count's stance on half-vistani? Does his law of "do not spill vistani blood" apply to them in any way, shape or form?

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 12:13:26 AM »
Only if they are part of the Vistani tribes, which most half vistani are not

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 12:53:44 AM »
Yeah, they don't really count as far as that law goes. Conversely, half-Vistani aren't under any obligation to tell Strahd everything they see, which is the other side of that bargain.

Little Lotte

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2012, 02:29:18 AM »
Yeah, they don't really count as far as that law goes. Conversely, half-Vistani aren't under any obligation to tell Strahd everything they see, which is the other side of that bargain.

Thanks guys! That answers my questions!