Author Topic: Barovia : Feedback  (Read 2768 times)

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
Barovia : Feedback
« on: November 15, 2011, 07:19:15 AM »
Currently it does not really matter whether you are on a cultivated map or on a wilderness map, as a walk in the woods is a lovely stroll. I always imagined forests in the medieval / late medieval  age to be something dangerous, fearsome something that made the traveler to be cautious, wild, untamed. Same with mountains.

If we have a quickl glance at the map of Barovia, is obvious that large portion of the map is forested and there are mountains.

Spoiler: show

In my head the Balinoks and Ghakis (not the high elevation part) were something like these:

Currently it's something like this:

I once prompted this small aesthetic touch, to have the mountains, lower mountain parts (similarly to the foothills of the Baratak) more wild and forestated and less rocky and barren.

The other thing I can imagine that'd make the landscape of Barovia more wild are the following:
- more skitting animals (give permahaste to dear and a huge hide skill)
- deadly vipers in the woods (high ms/hide - currently you can spot a viper in game from long distance and dispose it. Vipers were a deadly threat for any wilderness walker as they were mostly concealed by the vegetation)
- spiderlings (high ms/hide - attack when you go near some webs)
- randomly spawning wolves (we know where they spawn, so we just avoid them - would be nice if they spawn randomly and when they attack they go move silently, similarly to some larger wolves)
- hidden things that can be found with high enough search skill (plants, mushrooms, special wilderness stuff, like edible things)
- movement hindrance in heavy - medium armor (the ground is filled with rocks, fallen branches and logs, roots, bushes, random holes made by rabbits, muddy soil - it's a nightmare to travel afar from the path in none suitable equipment) - or alternative: make a similar effect than in the dvergheim areas: success on reflex / tumble check else fall prone (heavy armor lowers tumble for instance)
- wandering animals (they just stand in the same spot...now imagine as a bear walks around on the map: you can't be safe, same with wolves, and other predators)

Just suggestions, you know me as heavy ranger / wilderness fan!  :lol:
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 05:44:49 AM by Bastellus »

The Perfect Circle: The Hollow : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avgiqNapUx0

Ternce

• Undead Master
  • Ye be naught but a worm.
Re: Wild and untamed Barovia
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 07:30:38 AM »
I think the mountainous areas are more that way because of tileset limitations rather than a genuine effort to make them craggy, rocky, and barren by the devs.  Going up Baratak, you can see a lot more foliage and grassy foothills, which tells you that the first picture was what they were aiming for, but again, tileset restrictions.  As you go further up Ghakis, you can also see a lot more foliage and grassy areas, so it is more like a well wooded mountain range than a barren craggy peak, which from Vallaki to Krofburg, it certainly does look more on the barren craggy peak side of things.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 04:04:17 PM »
animals are supposed to move around the map, if they're not it's a bug

as for appearance, it's basically as Ternce says, tileset limitations, and the only way around those is to use tons of placeables

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Kagetora

• Undead Master
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 07:24:53 PM »
and the only way around those is to use tons of placeables

Please.  For the love of the Gods, do not do this.  The pathfinding and stuttering load lag is already horrific enough in most areas.  Adding more placeables...makes me want to cry.   :cry:

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 07:35:22 PM »
Please.  For the love of the Gods, do not do this.  The pathfinding and stuttering load lag is already horrific enough in most areas.  Adding more placeables...makes me want to cry.   :cry:
This is slightly off topic and is just idle musing, but as it is 2011 going on '12, I am always a bit surprised to hear this would be/is an issue.
I imagine(d) that any average PotM player would by now have a computer that vastly exceeded the specs to avoid area loading as well as nearly everyone on either broadband cable internet or fiber-optic by now.

We are to the point now where its harder to get the game to run backwards compatibly than worrying about area loading related lag. Unless you are on dial-up, a WISP and/or using a half decade or older hardware configuration then an issue like you expressed seems an issue of the past. Hardware incompatibility not withstanding.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Kagetora

• Undead Master
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 09:29:43 PM »
This is slightly off topic and is just idle musing, but as it is 2011 going on '12, I am always a bit surprised to hear this would be/is an issue.
I imagine(d) that any average PotM player would by now have a computer that vastly exceeded the specs to avoid area loading as well as nearly everyone on either broadband cable internet or fiber-optic by now.

We are to the point now where its harder to get the game to run backwards compatibly than worrying about area loading related lag. Unless you are on dial-up, a WISP and/or using a half decade or older hardware configuration then an issue like you expressed seems an issue of the past. Hardware incompatibility not withstanding.

I am currently in the middle of several crises in my life, and the computer I built crapped out a couple years ago.  I plan on building a new, pure, almost bleeding-edge gaming rig, as well as having a laptop gaming ready for travel and such, perhaps next year.

In the meantime, I play PotM on an old laptop a friend gave me so I would at least HAVE a computer.   :lol:  On the bright side, it is running windows XP, so I have zero compatibility issues.  My connection is not an issue either.

In fact, since I DO have zero compaitibility issues, I may continue using this machine solely for PotM, even after getting a new one.  But, thats the future.  Right now, not everyone has a bleeding-edge machine.  Sorry.   :?

NacreCicatrix

• Dark Lord
  • loser
Re: Barovia : Feedback
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 02:50:02 AM »
Hello, I'd suggest a larger variety of vegetables sold at Barovian markets.
It is not an ending, but an ebbing.

Hospice Faction Information Here!

NacreCicatrix

• Dark Lord
  • loser
Re: Barovia : Feedback
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2021, 06:55:05 PM »
I love the Midway Haven revamp! My only suggestion is that the tavern could have a larger variety of food items. At the moment, only travel rations are sold.
It is not an ending, but an ebbing.

Hospice Faction Information Here!