Author Topic: The Forsaken Tower  (Read 3749 times)

The Prophet of Misinformation

• Kept you waiting, huh?
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Forever #Trigger
The Forsaken Tower
« on: October 23, 2011, 05:56:06 PM »
The new tower has been up for a few days now. Feedback of any sort is welcome and appreciated!
"The brave man inattentive to his duty, is worth little more to his country than the coward who deserts in the hour of danger."
~Andrew Jackson

Mark Johansen

• Developers
  • Dark Power
Re: The Forsaken Tower
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 03:10:10 PM »
where is it? :D

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 03:22:43 PM »
It's the remade Elketh's tower. Check it out, it's pretty swag

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 03:25:40 PM »
It's the remade Elketh's tower. Check it out, it's pretty swag

cant:P we die there:D
and i hope Elketh is still there, since i have never ever seen him home...since i play here...(and that is 3+ years!)
Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant

Mayvind

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • I won't Bite
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 04:08:43 PM »
It is very well done , just want to take over and live there myself. Also it give more life to background. The feel of it increase where the old dungeon was a place to hit. The new dungeon is the place to enjoy. The last chest a bit high in DC for middle spawn 43 DC and the loot inside want me to poke my eyes out for it puny. But the dungeon itself is good. Elketh are now look more like a drow mad lich/mage, no more elketh staff though that a shame !!! and he down right sneaky appear out of no where /almost) beating crab out of me.

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 10:06:33 AM »
Its been yeaaars since I played the campaign, watched the Nightmare cutscene and I must say, it was amazing - reminded me of some of the ones in the last expansion!

The design is absolutely insane. Well done!

I don't say this lightly, but major props buddy, super well done!  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 12:32:31 PM »
The tower is stunning. Parts of it were so surreal, Zach began wondering if it was reality or an illusion. The first reality distortion they entered, Zach worried that the opium in his body was acting up in a weird way and maybe the others weren't seeing the same thing. Amazing work, the dungeon really is a must-see and I recommend everyone go and do it.

I like how all of the encounters were designed, that Elketh releases his minions and sends them at you. He's very clearly playing games with you.

Decoration-wise, you used a bunch of tilesets and decorations that don't get much love. I don't think I've seen some of the decorations before even.

Spoiler: show

Dungeon encounter spoilers in here. If you haven't done it yet, don't read. Seriously, go and experience this dungeon.

I think the only major critique I have of it was the Elketh encounter was too easy, he went down too fast. We were left thinking maybe it was another illusion and not the real Elketh, and another door would take us to him. If it wasn't the real one (wasn't high spawn, just regular broken ones were spawning), perhaps add flavour text describing Elketh fading into an illusion, cackling at you as he fades? If it was the real one, he needs to be made more difficult. The other major encounters were more difficult, like the part with 3 casters, and the shadowborne areas. Compared to them, Elketh went down really fast and without much difficulty.

Ternce

• Undead Master
  • Ye be naught but a worm.
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 03:22:44 PM »
Spoiler: show

Dungeon encounter spoilers in here. If you haven't done it yet, don't read. Seriously, go and experience this dungeon.

I think the only major critique I have of it was the Elketh encounter was too easy, he went down too fast. We were left thinking maybe it was another illusion and not the real Elketh, and another door would take us to him. If it wasn't the real one (wasn't high spawn, just regular broken ones were spawning), perhaps add flavour text describing Elketh fading into an illusion, cackling at you as he fades? If it was the real one, he needs to be made more difficult. The other major encounters were more difficult, like the part with 3 casters, and the shadowborne areas. Compared to them, Elketh went down really fast and without much difficulty.

[spoiler]

I liked that encounter.  It made me wonder if that was the real Elketh or just another illusion.  Also, I'm willing to bet that encounter was easier than the 3 aspects encounter because I just started attacking the first aspect I saw, which was the fighter, and left the mage unchecked.  If we'd have let Elketh buff up, he would've been a beast probably.  The NPC has been buffed huge lore-wise to be an actually powerful mage that you -should fear-.  The actual Elketh encounter was more difficult before the remake to his dungeon, since that room was packed, but there are -0- complaints from me about this remake.  This dungeon just slid up several dozen notches in coolness factor and now rivals the Temple of Harvest for my favorite crawl in the module.  A+

Kenkaku

• Undead Master
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 10:32:11 AM »
Finally had the pleasure to see the changes to this place last night, and on a full spawn no less. Visually, the area looks amazing. Lots of nice texts to read, tons of interesting little atmosphere placeables (frozen corpse in a cage?!), and the scenes with Elketh pretty much b&%*$ing us out for daring to enter his domain was... Epic, to say the least.

Though, there were a few things that need addressing.

1) The AC on the 3 Elketh aspects is WAY too high. These three had AC's you could expect in Perfidus in what I've been told is supposed to be a level 12~ dungeon. I believe we were swinging in the mid-upper 30's and missing.

2) The DC to disable traps and locks on the... Third floor I think it is? The room with the armoir and 3-4 boxes with loot. The DC to disable/unlock them is a bit too high for the dungeon. I believe they were roughly DC45-47 which is about 6 points higher than your average level 12 rogue could be expected to have. I'd suggest toning that down to about 40 even.

3) The Search DC on the floor traps is astronomically high. I was running around with a 40 Search and could not find a single of them no matter how long we waited.

4) By request/demand, I'm forced to mention that the shadow creatures that spawn in the new foresty area can be completely circumvented by simply... Running. I'm told this is the most difficult fight in the entire dungeon and we evaded it entirely without even trying. I'd suggest adjusting the spawn for a pincer-type attack, having some shadows spawn in front and some in back since they all seemed to come at us from behind.

5) Last is Elketh. In all honesty, the fight with him holds absolutely no place in this dungeon. He is the easiest fight in the entire dungeon, the poor mageling being broken in less than a round. We actually had more of a problem with the pair of shadow creatures he summons at the beginning of the fight. I would highly suggest adding more meat-shields in the room to give him time to buff/cast because he stands no chance as is.

Otherwise, very well done. What was once a dungeon I never really enjoyed has become a place I'd like to see more of, if only to enjoy the rambling. :lol:

PS; Thank you for getting rid of that abomination that was his staff.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 10:35:07 AM by Kenkaku »
I am but a blade, A simple tool of destruction.

Mrjunkie

• Dark Lord
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 01:30:24 PM »
Finally had the pleasure to see the changes to this place last night, and on a full spawn no less. Visually, the area looks amazing. Lots of nice texts to read, tons of interesting little atmosphere placeables (frozen corpse in a cage?!), and the scenes with Elketh pretty much b&%*$ing us out for daring to enter his domain was... Epic, to say the least.

Though, there were a few things that need addressing.

1) The AC on the 3 Elketh aspects is WAY too high. These three had AC's you could expect in Perfidus in what I've been told is supposed to be a level 12~ dungeon. I believe we were swinging in the mid-upper 30's and missing.

2) The DC to disable traps and locks on the... Third floor I think it is? The room with the armoir and 3-4 boxes with loot. The DC to disable/unlock them is a bit too high for the dungeon. I believe they were roughly DC45-47 which is about 6 points higher than your average level 12 rogue could be expected to have. I'd suggest toning that down to about 40 even.

3) The Search DC on the floor traps is astronomically high. I was running around with a 40 Search and could not find a single of them no matter how long we waited.

4) By request/demand, I'm forced to mention that the shadow creatures that spawn in the new foresty area can be completely circumvented by simply... Running. I'm told this is the most difficult fight in the entire dungeon and we evaded it entirely without even trying. I'd suggest adjusting the spawn for a pincer-type attack, having some shadows spawn in front and some in back since they all seemed to come at us from behind.

5) Last is Elketh. In all honesty, the fight with him holds absolutely no place in this dungeon. He is the easiest fight in the entire dungeon, the poor mageling being broken in less than a round. We actually had more of a problem with the pair of shadow creatures he summons at the beginning of the fight. I would highly suggest adding more meat-shields in the room to give him time to buff/cast because he stands no chance as is.

Otherwise, very well done. What was once a dungeon I never really enjoyed has become a place I'd like to see more of, if only to enjoy the rambling. :lol:

PS; Thank you for getting rid of that abomination that was his staff.

I would also add that he should be made immune to flesh to stone as a lich, though i'm sure his failure may cancel that out, unsure.

But alas, with the high trap search, difficult locks to pick, what you find is absolutely not worth the challenge you face.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 01:46:28 PM »
What do you estimate the target level range of a PC group (3-4 characters) would be?

Kenkaku

• Undead Master
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 02:08:45 PM »
What do you estimate the target level range of a PC group (3-4 characters) would be?

Combat-wise, level 10-12.

Utility-wise, closer to 15 or 16, atm.

I always thought of it as a level 6-12 place (low-high spawn).
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 02:11:30 PM by Kenkaku »
I am but a blade, A simple tool of destruction.

Mrjunkie

• Dark Lord
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 02:31:36 PM »
10-14, depending on how diverse the party is.

Vaku

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 03:15:43 AM »
Very profesional. Very well done. Never have I been so impressed with a dungeon of any kind.

• Kept you waiting, huh?
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Forever #Trigger
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 05:47:14 PM »
THREAD NECROMANCY.

PEOPLE PUT FEEDBACK HERE. NEED ADD MORE XPS OBVIOUSLY.

MAY OR MAT NOT ADD NEW AREAS. FEEDBACK GOOD. NO FEEDBACK = SAD PROPHET.
"The brave man inattentive to his duty, is worth little more to his country than the coward who deserts in the hour of danger."
~Andrew Jackson

Paragonville

• Demiplane Escapee
  • Dark Power
  • actly ezlin
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2014, 12:10:54 AM »
LOOT.

XPS.

TRAPS VERY HARD FOR LOOT QUALITY.

LESS NECROMANCY SCROLLS, MORE MISCELLANEOUS SCROLLS

• Kept you waiting, huh?
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Forever #Trigger
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2014, 01:01:59 PM »
LOOT.

XPS.

TRAPS VERY HARD FOR LOOT QUALITY.

LESS NECROMANCY SCROLLS, MORE MISCELLANEOUS SCROLLS

K
~Andrew Jackson

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 01:42:52 PM »
Its been a while since i have been in there... whats the DCs again? lol

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

Ellana Twiggy

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 10:22:19 AM »
Was in there yesterday, dc 47 lock, nasty neg energy trap on the chest, and I got . . ..drum roll. . .a spartoi seed. . . whooo. . .

But seriously, all that was in the chest was a sapartoi seed. . . the other two chests, equally as nasty, and I had the level drain for about 2 hours to prove it, there was a haste scroll in one. . .and two low level piddly scrolls in the other.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 10:24:56 AM by Sudhri Noirlion »

Paragonville

• Demiplane Escapee
  • Dark Power
  • actly ezlin
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2014, 10:49:42 AM »
Its my favorite dungeon, just the risk vs reward is terrible.

Needs loot, and exp.

• Kept you waiting, huh?
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Forever #Trigger
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2014, 11:33:57 AM »
All right. Better loot. More XP. Less high DC traps. Easily done.
~Andrew Jackson

Geiger

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2014, 11:38:18 AM »

I think you should keep the traps, bump the loot.

Ellana Twiggy

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2014, 12:16:33 PM »

I think you should keep the traps, bump the loot.

+1
I agree with this, I don't see any issue with the traps. Nothing having a cleric or neg energy prot can't help if you don't have a good enough rogue.

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2014, 02:24:43 PM »
Yeah, I love the trap level! Gives my rogue stuff to do, and a cleric can easily remedy the neg energy. I agree with the loot though, needs a bump, as well as XP