You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Crafting Freeze Up  (Read 2072 times)

Fierna

Crafting Freeze Up
« on: July 29, 2011, 01:41:22 PM »
Was talking with WildPirate and he said I should post this.

I have a GeForce 210 Nvidia Graphic Card. Graphics are up to date. I have 2GB of Ram, and a 3.06Ghz Pentium 4 Processor. My CEP is up to date as well.

The problem I am having, is on occasion when I am trying to craft my armor, or clothing I suddenly freeze up and have to end process. When I restart the game, and log back in, I am frozen in place, with duplicated armor/clothing. Not sure why this is happening, but there's the issue.  :(

Revenant

• Noot Noot
  • Dark Lord
  • Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
Re: Crafting Freeze Up
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 02:09:55 PM »
I suppose I'll share my experiences with this.

To my knowledge, it's a fairly well known bug. The frozen-in-place with duplicates, that is. If you crash while crafting clothes, you'll come back frozen in place with a duplicate of the armor being crafted, which is then impossible to remove by hand from your inventory. It requires DM intervention to remove the extra item, though usually you can just rest to fix the frozen-in-place. I'm not even sure if you have to actually go all the way through the rest, maybe just initiate it?

Now, if this is happening frequently to you, at the same point, the big part of this is figuring out what is causing you to crash in the first place, which should be left to others...since I have no clue.

Vicerimus Mortem.

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 06:07:25 PM »
I can only think of trying to reinstall CEP 2.3 and remove everything from your overrides, and seeing if that helps.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Chaszmyr

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 06:32:19 PM »
Now, if this is happening frequently to you, at the same point, the big part of this is figuring out what is causing you to crash in the first place, which should be left to others...since I have no clue.

Totally agree with this, fix your crashes and you won't have to worry about being frozen in place anymore.

My first question is, do you ever log out of the server back to the NWN multiplayer screen and log back in (same character or different character)? In my experiences, NWN acts absolutely crazy if you don't completely exit and re-launch it (which is why I highly recommend having a desktop shortcut direct to Ravenloft because it closes the game once you exit, preventing this issue.

If this is something you do, I wouldn't be surprised that crashes are involved. Make a shortcut to your nwmain.exe and change that shortcut's Target to:

C:\NeverwinterNights\NWN\nwmain.exe +connect 84.238.55.137:5121

Can lay that out step by step if you aren't computer savvy.

Otherwise I am wondering if some of your graphics settings are doing it - either the game itself or in your video card control panel. Can dig up more on that if you'd like.
Riccardo de Vesci - Red Vardo Traders
Taz'zyr Xorlarrin - Sorcere Graduate

Fierna

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 07:38:22 PM »
When I log out of the Server, I exit the came completely, except when I'm frozen. Then I have to open task manager and end process.

The only thing I have in my override is the Ravenloft Sky Boxes/UI Appearance, and the Hands/Feet. The problem is, sometimes I can craft without a hitch, and other times it goes completely wonky, locking up the game several times.

All of my graphic settings are at the lowest possible, and everything else off, like fast grass, shiny water, ect.

Chaszmyr

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 08:34:09 PM »
What kind of graphics card do you have? I know there is a really good list out there (I think I saw it on this board somewhere in fact) with tweaks for NWN in the Nvidia control panel.

Fierna

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 10:05:09 PM »

I have a GeForce 210 Nvidia Graphic Card. Graphics are up to date. I have 2GB of Ram, and a 3.06Ghz Pentium 4 Processor. My CEP is up to date as well.

:P

Chaszmyr

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 11:12:26 PM »
Oh. Right. That. Whoops!

Romar posted the tweaks not long ago here.