You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Monk Gloves (Crafting)  (Read 6839 times)

Romar Notten

Monk Gloves (Crafting)
« on: April 19, 2011, 02:39:57 PM »
Being able to make gloves for monks via crafting, would be nice considering enchanting only works on player made items.

Vespertilio

• Never met a Dark Lord, not a
  • Dark Power
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country!
    • Messages from Nihil
Re: Monk Gloves (Crafting)
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 02:48:04 PM »
Having tanners make gloves would be a great thing, even if it was something as basic as gloves with silver spikes on them so lowbie monks could have gloves that worked on the rat and wolf neuri.

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...

Kenkaku

• Undead Master
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 02:59:45 PM »
Ooh ooh! A way to add steel into the Leatherworking craft! Steel-plated fists of punchyness anyone!?

Seriously, cool idea. Monk Gloves are pretty tough to come by and being able to craft some minor ones like steel and silver would be cool and give Leatherworking another bit to toy around with. It could also open up an option for a fisty-cuff fighter that doesn't have Monk levels since we could enchant them to actually be able to hurt things that have DR. I know at least one player that always wanted a bare-handed fighter to play with and spiked gloves would be right up his alley...
I am but a blade, A simple tool of destruction.

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 03:05:00 PM »
There are already two gauntlets that do piercing and blunted damage for pugilist types, but yeah, more things to craft is always a good thing for the community.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Vespertilio

• Never met a Dark Lord, not a
  • Dark Power
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country!
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 03:15:45 PM »
There are already two gauntlets that do piercing and blunted damage for pugilist types, but yeah, more things to craft is always a good thing for the community.

With crafting and gilding, most newish pcs can get items that allow them to hunt were creatures.  Basic silver weapons also spawn fairly often in low level loot. Monks really do not have access to anything comparable unless they choose to use kama and order some made from a smith/gilder.  Monk gloves do not spawn in low level loot but mid to high in limited areas around vallaki. Areas that tend to be frequented so the spawn rarely reaches a level where those gloves are going to spawn, and by those gloves I mean anything with +1 because that is required to beat the dr on many npc monsters around Vallaki.   Varnishes are a possible solution but also a consumable reliant one.

The concept of silver spiked gloves being crafted, would be the equivalent of a pc either finding a plain silvered weapon in loot, or commissioning a steel weapon with silver gilding.  Very basic +1 vs shapeshifters. With a possibility of a steel gilded option that compliments what can be made in weapons but with gloves as a more advanced option. 

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...

Romar Notten

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 01:29:51 AM »
I wouldn't mind seeing Attack +2 gloves, just mainly something to help add to the monks low damage and by passing dr.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 12:17:09 PM »
misc. clothing items such as gloves and belts, etc. will be added to the crafting system eventually

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 12:33:18 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing Attack +2 gloves, just mainly something to help add to the monks low damage and by passing dr.

Actually monks dont do low damage, they dont have a high AB on average.
A 14th level monk can do alot of damange. chang my monk can do 1D12 , not counting on the gloves he wears. Also it was a rather nice to see that regents added on monk gloves now. Really helps.

What thier turely lacking is AC on average and AB. Just my opinion from playing a Monk.

“In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power… Green Lantern’s light!”

dark_majico

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 05:25:47 AM »

Actually monks dont do low damage, they dont have a high AB on average.
A 14th level monk can do alot of damange. chang my monk can do 1D12 , not counting on the gloves he wears. Also it was a rather nice to see that regents added on monk gloves now. Really helps.

What thier turely lacking is AC on average and AB. Just my opinion from playing a Monk.

Yes but what you have to consider is a monk at low levels. There are people who do not often get past level 7 for any particular character, as they infrequently play. I dont think I have ever had any character go past level 8 here yet. So they are right a lowbie monk dosent do a lot of damage compared to say a fighter a few levels higher with certain weapons + enhancments.

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 01:00:21 PM »
Monk is and has always been one of those classes who are weak in the lower levels and rise in power at the later levels. I don't think balancing the items available for the lower levels would be a sound plan for it. Besides a monk with a decent wis & dex score should be able to get their AB & AC to similar levels as other classes on the same level.

Thoraion

• Undead Master
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 01:04:14 PM »
So they are right a lowbie monk dosent do a lot of damage compared to say a fighter a few levels higher with certain weapons + enhancments.
And in what way is that a problem? If you want that damage output, just play a fighter instead. Sounds stupid and annoying, but a monk is no fighter - and is not meant to be.
It just is not comparable.
Currently playing:
no characters, will eventually be back

Characters in stock:
- Darian Eisenhand        - Ansgar "Frettchen" Ostvent
- Thorben Eibenfinder    - Einar Falkensang

Romar Notten

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 04:00:52 PM »
I would just like to see players able to make gloves, we can already make shields, armor, weapons, boots so I would assume this wouldn't be such a bad idea. It would also allows monks to perhaps get a bigger selection of gloves and access to the enchanting system. I'm not here to speak about there damage or compare them to other classes, we can do that on another thread as this thread isn't intended for such.

dark_majico

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 04:41:23 PM »
So they are right a lowbie monk dosent do a lot of damage compared to say a fighter a few levels higher with certain weapons + enhancments.
And in what way is that a problem? If you want that damage output, just play a fighter instead. Sounds stupid and annoying, but a monk is no fighter - and is not meant to be.

No, please rethink that. The idea of this thread is about craftable monk gloves, Avatar6666 mentiond a level 16 monk he has doing good damage without gloves equiped. My response was to say that some characters stay at low levels, so they ought to get a little more gear to use, I mentioned fighters because they have tones of weapons to choose from, monks dont. Thus im supporting gloves variations.

WildPirate13

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 04:48:20 PM »
Gloves would be nice. Can they be enchanted with the system in place now?

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 05:29:28 PM »
no, they would probably become enchantable after some crafted ones are made

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 06:32:20 PM »

No, please rethink that. The idea of this thread is about craftable monk gloves, Avatar6666 mentiond a level 16 monk he has doing good damage without gloves equiped. My response was to say that some characters stay at low levels, so they ought to get a little more gear to use, I mentioned fighters because they have tones of weapons to choose from, monks dont. Thus im supporting gloves variations.

Level 14 Level 16 monks do more damage.

“In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power… Green Lantern’s light!”

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 04:03:38 AM »
misc. clothing items such as gloves and belts, etc. will be added to the crafting system eventually

*points*

dark_majico

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 07:32:40 AM »

Level 14 Level 16 monks do more damage.

Riiiiight, thats right they do! You get to play with the shiny red ball for 10 minutes!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h00LzVQ8HJM&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

:lol:
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 07:42:13 AM by dark_majico »

Weyland

• Outlander
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2017, 03:14:55 AM »

*points*

*Necro bump*

Would not consider gloves to be a 'miscellaneous' item--they are centrally important (for monks).

This is an old quote from Devs, so I wonder if this has been implemented or worked on yet?  Thanks.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2017, 03:18:50 AM »
Adamantine Knuckledusters :o
Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Night of Reod

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2017, 12:20:33 PM »
To be fair, there are a number of very good gloves items in the game to make up for lack of enchanted gloves, and Fists of Andral is pretty much an enchanted glove with divine damage instead of positive being pretty much the only difference.

DrXavierTColtrane

• Dark Lord
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2017, 01:48:12 PM »
It's prima facie evidence that existing glove drops do not "make up" for a lack of enchanted gloves when a player of a very high-level monk (such as Weyland) requests them.

Presumably he is aware of the Fists of Andral and their stats. My lower-level (than Weyland's) monk has seen at least two pair of the Fists in his adventures, besides seeing them offered for sale. One of those pairs adorned the hands of a 7th level monk.

If monks can acquire statistically equivalent gloves without sacrificing XP for them, why would any monk ask for craftable gloves?

The answer must be that for whatever reason Weyland (and perhaps other monks) don't consider them overall equivalent.
For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.

Night of Reod

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2017, 02:33:50 PM »
 My own character, who is not a monk, uses gloves as his primary weapon. Fists of Andral are far from being the only good set of gauntlets as well. There are some fairly common ones, such as; Vechorite Cestus, which provide a decent damage boost that stacks with enhancement and turns your melee damage into bludgeoning-piercing, and none of the crafted weapon damage bonuses stack with enhancement bonus, and also comes with a low proc chance but potentially useful 5 rounds confusion effect at passable DC; Gauntest of Lassitude, which has a high proc rate slow effect on a very respectable DC, Ghoul's Touch (I may be remembering the name wrong) which has a 3 rounds paralyze effect with passable DC though it has alignment restrictions; and I believe I saw a pair of gloves with the same damage bonus as Vechorite Cestus in slashing format, which also stacks with enhancement. These are just some very common gloves I see at least once a week at Blaustein or Mist Camp shop, and they are already comparable to most enchanted weapons if not better, a longsword gets the same damage bonus from enchanting as the Vechorite Cestus has for example.

Of course there are the more rare but definitely stronger gloves such as Fists of Andral, which has a damage and enhancement bonus equal to that of an Enchanted Steel Bastardsword; Fists of Balance, which does elemental and hence resistable damage but offers more damage than the bonus Enchanted Steel Greatsword gets against targets that don't resist fire or cold damage. There are quite a few more gloves with impressive, and sometimes unique, bonuses present in the module as is. I don't really see a way to let players make gloves that can compete with these via crafting without going overboard, and the same goes for enchanting. If I remember correctly, the exp cost for a bastard sword, which gets the same damage bonus as Fists of Andral, is 13k experience, and I don't think many would be interested in paying that for an increase of 1 damage per hit on average over the fairly common Vechorite Cestus instead of saving up and waiting for a Fists of Andral to show up available for purchase.

If you have any suggestions for craftable/enchanted gloves that can compete with these without going overboard, I would be very interested in seeing them, as I would love the idea of more crafted items.

Weyland

• Outlander
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2017, 11:50:32 PM »
Well I didn't intend to make any claims about anything.  Really, I just saw the comments from the developers and would like to know if this is something being worked on or already done.

The developers and DMs have visibility across the server and so I trust their judgement.  I guess some players also do have pretty good visibility as well.

But since the point was raised, I did see some crafted weapons that are better than any glove I've seen.  For example, a crafted+enchanted weapon made with platinum and adamantine that has an enhancement bonus +3, enhancement bonus vs. undead +4, damage bonus positive energy +1d6, and damage bonus slashing +1d6.

DrXavierTColtrane

• Dark Lord
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2017, 12:21:57 AM »
But since the point was raised, I did see some crafted weapons that are better than any glove I've seen.  For example, a crafted+enchanted weapon made with platinum and adamantine that has an enhancement bonus +3, enhancement bonus vs. undead +4, damage bonus positive energy +1d6, and damage bonus slashing +1d6.

That the Fists of Andral negate any need for enchanted gloves can be countered by a variation of your example: Would other characters of other classes feel the server had lost nothing if we removed crafting of all other weapons...

...as long as a +2 / 1D6 Divine Damage "equivalent" weapon was left in the loot tables?
For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.