Author Topic: Balinoks Crash  (Read 39153 times)

Feronius

• Dark Power
Re: Balinoks Crash
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2012, 06:48:20 PM »
Has anyone discovered -which- exact setting it is yet? So we can simply turn that one option down, instead of all the graphics. (They're not very outstanding as it is.)

Romar Notten

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2012, 06:51:47 PM »
I have deleted the mist graphic from the .2da and turned on hiding of two stories or higher buildings (under game options i think). This has prevented alot of former crashes and massive lagg spikes for myself.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2012, 12:29:26 PM »
I believe I have found the exact setting you need to turn down in order to prevent crashes in the Balinoks, at least this has worked for me.

Turning off the "Lights casting shadows" to the lowest option, under Advanced settings, has fixed this issue for me completly.
Every other graphical setting is on the highest for me, only shiny water is also turned off because it simply looks glitchy (but I believe it's unrelated to this bug.)

Hope that helps, so people can prevent the bug without having to tune down all of their settings when they enter the mountain areas.

Discard that, seems to be false. Crashes still occur in mountain areas during specific weather conditions or seasonal conditions, at least during daytime.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 04:31:14 PM by Feronius »

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2012, 05:04:48 PM »
I have deleted the mist graphic from the .2da and turned on hiding of two stories or higher buildings (under game options i think). This has prevented alot of former crashes and massive lagg spikes for myself.

I can't find any option even related to buildings, unless it's somewhere in the .ini files (but last time I touched those my errors only increased.)
Sadly this error has again resurfaced for me, after I thought turning off the "lights casting shadows" had fixed it. Oddly enough I passed through the area twice before today, smoothly.

I've tried turning down almost every video option one by one to detect where the fault lies, I can't find it.
The only thing that did seem to impact it is changing the overall graphics quality to that "Fast" setting, but it only delayed the crash.
Perhaps it would work if I simply tune down EVERY graphic setting, but I honestly don't think I can be bothered.

It seems to -only- be that area that causes the crashing, every other zone seems just fine on the highest settings. Has anyone considered simply changing that area instead to prevent the crashes..?
It comes across as pretty silly to me that everyone (or a large number of people at least) have to make their outdated graphics even crappier for only one area (and seemingly only during certain times or weather conditions or something.)

Ramika

• The Original Mika!
  • Undead Master
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2013, 03:11:28 AM »
I know this is seriously necromancied but....

This crash happens to me a lot too. I end up having to drop -all- of my graphics down pretty much all the way in order to log back in again until I am out of the area. It's annoying, but it works. So far, it's only happened to me in the Balinoks.

Active "Mains":
On Cellimene: Gabriela Dimir/Camelia Niculescu
On Ramika: Kyla Murray
Alt (On Cellimene): Andala

• Dark Power
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2013, 04:38:08 AM »
The same happens to me and I am not sure why, I have my graphics turned way down...its annoying....

“In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power… Green Lantern’s light!”

YouLitABonfire

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2013, 06:56:28 AM »
had it happen to me once. i think it's a welcome to the balinoks rite of passage.

Daboomer

• Dark Power
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2013, 04:27:56 PM »
It stopped happening, now it happened again. Weird since i ren the same graphics. Now i apperantly have to lower them once more. But it worked perfectly on best graphics untill yesterday  :shock:

Ramika

• The Original Mika!
  • Undead Master
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2013, 05:05:40 AM »
It sometimes depends on the day for me too. There's been times I've gotten all the way through the Balinoks one way, only to crash on the way back. Or I can't even get through that first transition. Or I get there and back just fine.

I really don't get it.

Active "Mains":
On Cellimene: Gabriela Dimir/Camelia Niculescu
On Ramika: Kyla Murray
Alt (On Cellimene): Andala

Daboomer

• Dark Power
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2013, 07:16:10 AM »
It's like the bermuda triangel.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2013, 12:46:25 PM »
I played around with this some as I started to suffer from the issue since I reinstalled Windows 7.

To me, it worked not running NWN in Windows XP compatibility mode. To do this, go to your NWN folder, right click the nwmain.exe and click properties, go to the "compatiblity" tab and uncheck the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:".

Could any of you having issues with crashing in the Balinoks check if this fix works for you?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 08:31:50 AM by Zarathustra217 »

MistJumper

• Outlander
  • the weremink!
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2013, 09:24:47 AM »
I have been running in compatibility mode since I got my new win 7 computer. I still get the crash. It has to do with some graphics issue, as turning down the detail to the lowest settings, removes the crash.

I would guess that there is some problem tile that, the Balinoks uses that is not used in any other area that has the mountains tileset. (some waterfall around some corner, or a snow cap mountain, or some high res tree tile) To note, walking into the area from the village side, I do not crash, walking into the area from the dwarf city, I crash. It might be the mountain door the dwarven halls use.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2013, 01:22:07 PM »
The fix I proposed was to not run in compatibility mode. Lowering graphic settings work too, but is much more aggravating.

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2013, 03:27:08 PM »
I found something that fixed my crashing in those areas. It was to specifically move the grass slider to to none. Haven't crashed in those areas since.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2013, 08:32:14 AM »
I played around with this some as I started to suffer from the issue since I reinstalled Windows 7.

To me, it worked not running NWN in Windows XP compatibility mode. To do this, go to your NWN folder, right click the nwmain.exe and click properties, go to the "compatiblity" tab and uncheck the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:".

Could any of you having issues with crashing in the Balinoks check if this fix works for you?

No one been able to try this out yet?

Perkele

• JCD
  • Dark Lord
  • bionicman
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2013, 08:41:17 AM »

No one been able to try this out yet?

I'll take a look at it today.
Gimme the GEP gun.

Perkele

• JCD
  • Dark Lord
  • bionicman
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2013, 09:19:49 AM »
Apologies for the double-post, but here's what I have come up with on my end:

Running NWN without compatability resulted in the game throwing me out everytime I tried to launch it. This was for nwnmain.exe.

Running in compatability mode with full settings aside from high resolution font and shiny water resulted in me crashing almost immediately when I stepped foot in the Balinoks. It would not let me join the server again, until I lowered grass settings to none.

Now it let me join and I haven't got any crashes, yet. I also put my grass settings to full and ran around for a while and I haven't gotten a crash, yet.

These are the sightings I have made.

I used Windows XP Service Pack 3 as my compatability mode as NWN would not launch without a compatability mode.

Perhaps the secret would be to lower your grass settings to none while traversing the Balinoks, and if you *feel* confident, turning them to full again.
Gimme the GEP gun.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2013, 09:48:53 AM »
Hmm, yeah, though running without compatibility mode works fine on my computer at least, so if others are able to run without it, that might still be worth a shot. I personally like my grass ;)

Perkele

• JCD
  • Dark Lord
  • bionicman
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2013, 09:59:43 AM »
Hmm, yeah, though running without compatibility mode works fine on my computer at least, so if others are able to run without it, that might still be worth a shot. I personally like my grass ;)

Well, I hope my short testing was of help. Would probably need more people to try the fixes posted, trying the game without compatability mode and the grass thingy.

Gimme the GEP gun.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2013, 10:10:54 AM »

Well, I hope my short testing was of help. Would probably need more people to try the fixes posted, trying the game without compatability mode and the grass thingy.

Yeah and yes, certainly was.

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2013, 11:46:31 AM »
ok tried this on three different pcs i found one thing that seemed to repeat crashes for me i'm running on windwos xp sp3 with a nvidia gfx card all updates etc, i do what you suggest there zarth in one case i ran around as my cleric hope, buffed up etc, then again unbuffed no probs both cases it was with the grass off only everything else max set

tried with warn buffed in stealth mode, got crash with grass on then did it again with grass off  crashed

then did it with grass on with invis on, got crash grass off with invis had crash

seems to me that in my experiences it happened when i was in stealth mode or invis it crashed me....could there be something in the engine when you load that hiccups that engine with stealth/invis setups for that area?

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2013, 03:30:07 PM »
I personally like my grass ;)

Me too, bud, me too... oh wait, you're talking about grass in-game aren't you?  ;) I am still running Windows XP SP3... never got around to upgrading to Windows 7 and at this point I'm just going to wait until I buy a new PC to do so. Is this problem limited to Win7 users or is everyone affected? I remember getting occasional crashes in the Ravine map of the Ballinoks but it was totally random. I could walk through it ten times unaffected, then randomly for no apparent reason, I would crash shortly after entering the area. But when I'd relaunch the game, everything worked fine. It's night-time in-game right now, but I will make a trip up that way come morning to see if I have any problems. I'll post the results in an edit below. From what I can tell of the posts so far, I'm guessing that these issues are happening to the folks using Win7... is anyone still using an older version of Windows like me having these issues? Knowing the answer to that might help in finding the issue and a possible fix.

EDIT: Okay, I made the trip to Krofburg and back with another player and neither one of us crashed. I can't vouch for their system specs (forgot to ask *facepalm*) but I'm running 1920x1080 resolution with full grass, full everything except for shiny water. So Rob Archer could be on to something with the stealth. However, I used to get random crashes without being in stealth mode so I'm not sure.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 05:52:42 PM by Serillian »

Valiant_Destiny

• Outlander
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2013, 12:54:10 AM »
This issue seems to be similar to what just happened to me in Le Grand Bazaar, Dementlieu.  Why I am posting this here.

I walked into the shop and it crashed my server, also I have attempted to log in numerous times in that character in the past half hour and it refuses to allow me to play, freezing and crashing once more. 

I have logged in with another character, walked around everything seems to be fine.  I am not able to bring another character in the Bazaar, I walked around Valllaki though, nothing out of the ordinary.

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2013, 07:08:40 PM »
ok tried this on three different pcs i found one thing that seemed to repeat crashes for me i'm running on windwos xp sp3 with a nvidia gfx card all updates etc, i do what you suggest there zarth in one case i ran around as my cleric hope, buffed up etc, then again unbuffed no probs both cases it was with the grass off only everything else max set

tried with warn buffed in stealth mode, got crash with grass on then did it again with grass off  crashed

then did it with grass on with invis on, got crash grass off with invis had crash

seems to me that in my experiences it happened when i was in stealth mode or invis it crashed me....could there be something in the engine when you load that hiccups that engine with stealth/invis setups for that area?

I crash in this area consistently and constantly. It used to be fine, but I've noticed it across multiple PCs, and after turning down the settings on my machine. Sadly I don't think stealth has anything to do with it since none of my characters are using stealth or invisibility and I crash here often. Short of just plain avoiding these areas I'm really not sure what to do to deal with it. I'm literally hanging out here right now because my PC got caught in a crash loop there. hopefully waiting for the character to respawn in the mist camp.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2013, 09:42:51 PM »
i think its the only place that should have a sign with ooc info befor entering it.

with iether tips or what to do when it happend.
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company