Author Topic: Balinoks Crash  (Read 39151 times)

shadymerchant

• Dark Power
  • Legendary Pimp Cat (Circa 1876)
Balinoks Crash
« on: June 05, 2010, 03:18:39 PM »
For some reason, just outside the doors of the dwarven halls, my game frequently encounters something that makes it crash. In the past it was somewhat random, but once I have crashed I can't get myself out of the trap. The game will crash upon trying to load the area again and again, leaving me stuck until a reset.

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
Re: Balinoks Crash
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 03:31:33 PM »
I have the exact same issue. In the very same spot. That is, I need to restart in winXP and move away. Must be the tiles... but yeah it has started happening since, maybe, 2-3 weeks ago and I had this same machine...
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

shadymerchant

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 04:04:05 PM »
After entering the first mountain map of the balinoks, where the copper mining is located, my game froze. It wasn't immediate though. In any case, I now have two characters stuck until reset so I will stop going to the balinoks. I have some story lines tied to the area so I hope it is something that can be fixed.

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 12:33:45 AM »
There is a spot in the swamps that freezes my game for a couple seconds to i wonder if its the same sort of issue.

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 01:01:36 AM »
Same problem in the balonoks here.
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
    • Facebook page
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 01:43:49 AM »
There is a spot in the swamps that freezes my game for a couple seconds to i wonder if its the same sort of issue.

That is more common since it's something happening to everyone I asked...

Anyway with Shady we were comparing graphic cards and stuff, since as I already explained, in winXP (with a lower resolution, but also LESS RAM) I can go out from that area, my issue is in win7 where I have max resolution. Might it be tiles? It's not particularly dense in placeables or npcs, it's simply... the area... any help?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 01:45:43 AM by +Ciaran+ »

jugnaut

• Dark Lord
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 12:04:05 PM »
Happens to me all the time.  CAn't log into Erik until we have a reset.

Mortimer-uber hin
Istvan Csapek-"hm hm hm"
Erik Draven-Ezra's Anchorite
Kalmah-Ex-Vardo

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
    • Facebook page
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 03:22:48 PM »
Yes really for me it is a bit of a problem when I need materials from there, unless going just through the cave (which can be VERY dangerous if compared to the dangerless other side). Can it be actually seen if there is any excess of tiles there?

shadymerchant

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 06:46:02 PM »
Since I crash right outside of the dwarven doors, and on the way into the balinok mountains, its impossible to go in the direction of ghakis. I have a prisoner trapped in the area I'm going to have to abandon until I can get through to them.

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 06:48:35 PM »
If you need dm help on instances you can't log in and you crash, log on another alt and let the dm know, so we can port/bail you out of said area for you not to crash.

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 08:02:12 AM »
I went through the Balinoks area and through the dwarven halls with no problem, just like normal.

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 08:14:59 AM »
It was mentioned that the recent updates to CEP2.3c might be the problem (some might not have updated to the newest version) ..I downloaded 2.3 some months ago , so Ill go test this tonight ...maybe after a gin & tonic.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 11:59:25 AM »
I ran around the area in question with my DM avatar a few nights ago and nothing happened to me. I'm wondering if there's something about some people's setup that doesn't like the area--fx if you have RealTek onboard audio, it can cause all sorts of different crashes, especially in areas with lots of sound objects.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

LoupGaroux

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 12:05:01 PM »
I know sometimes it happens to me, sometimes it doesn't

Often I think it might attribute to something in an override folder, cause I've instructed some to make a clean one, and login to leave the area and its worked. Other times, its an older video card that just can't process the area (Had that problem once with an old old computer and another server).

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
    • Facebook page
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 01:47:13 PM »
I ran around the area in question with my DM avatar a few nights ago and nothing happened to me. I'm wondering if there's something about some people's setup that doesn't like the area--fx if you have RealTek onboard audio, it can cause all sorts of different crashes, especially in areas with lots of sound objects.

I am lolling because I have RealTek audio but it seems the Dark Power behind it all every time!!!

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2010, 05:00:22 AM »
That's how truly awful Realtek is. It used to crash my computer so bad it would shut itself off.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

jugnaut

• Dark Lord
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2010, 09:58:23 PM »
Happened yet again.  Can't log into another pc now.  I have realtek but it's always turned off so don't think that's the problem.  This area is such a problem.  What's different about it compared to other areas?  I can't log in now as that pc.  Most frustrating area ever. lol  Yet another group adventure ruined.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 10:04:46 PM by jugnaut »

Mortimer-uber hin
Istvan Csapek-"hm hm hm"
Kalmah-Ex-Vardo

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
    • Facebook page
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 02:34:31 AM »
Last time I went I didn't crash. I was surprised.

KoopaFanatic

• Iä! Iä! Puckwolf fhtagn!
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 08:09:32 AM »
FWIW, I have the same thing happen to me at the ruins of Zeklos Keep.  Pretty consistently, if I get anything more than just the walls of the ruins on the screen, I crash and can't log into that PC.  (This might've changed since I first noticed it last summer/fall.... for obvious reasons I keep all my PCs away from that area.)

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2010, 11:16:44 AM »
I also crash in the ruins of Zeklos Keep and can not log back in with that pc. I also crash a lot when transitioning to that area between Tzer falls and the foothills with the Ogers. However, when I crash there I can just log back in without any problems.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
    • Facebook page
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2010, 11:19:34 AM »
Used to crash (but with the chance to log back) in a specific spot of the path to Krofburg too. It seems mountain areas or densely fogged areas are the most problematic?

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2010, 02:14:55 PM »
it must be a configuration issue. as far as I know, I have never had any issues with any of those places.

The one spot that i get booted fairly regularly is while the transition from Djordi's vardo to outside is loading. But i can always immediately log back in and have no further issue.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

shadymerchant

• Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2010, 04:58:22 AM »
After playing with the settings all night, I've figured out a fix to the crashes for myself at the very least. The Balinoks area will not function if I have my "Fast" bar in "overall graphics quality" set to anything but 0. In fact, if I try to adjust it while in game it will immediately crash me. If I log in with the bar higher, I will crash repeatedly, but if i then lower it back to 0 I can resume logging into the game.

jugnaut

• Dark Lord
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2010, 07:59:54 PM »
After playing with the settings all night, I've figured out a fix to the crashes for myself at the very least. The Balinoks area will not function if I have my "Fast" bar in "overall graphics quality" set to anything but 0. In fact, if I try to adjust it while in game it will immediately crash me. If I log in with the bar higher, I will crash repeatedly, but if i then lower it back to 0 I can resume logging into the game.

going to the lowest graphics quality worked for me, thanks shady

I noticed at the lowest setting, the skyboxes and something else, forget what, got unchecked.  Perhaps they're what's causing the problem.  I'm afraid to test it though lol.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 08:23:09 AM by jugnaut »

Mortimer-uber hin
Istvan Csapek-"hm hm hm"
Kalmah-Ex-Vardo

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
    • Facebook page
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2010, 03:33:46 AM »
Lowering the graphics works also for me.