Author Topic: Strahd - fact or fable  (Read 9211 times)

kanedellesk

Re: Strahd - fact or fable
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2012, 09:17:54 PM »
I prefer to think, and this is not canon or established anywhere, that Strahd is aware of the Dawnslayers. And that he is able to manipulate them to take out any vampire/undead/whatever that he views a threat to him. Were they ever to target Strahd specifically, he'd destroy them utterly.

Nox

• Dark Lord
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2012, 11:18:08 PM »
When Sasha Petrovich took the words of Martyn Pelkar into his heart, he brought more than his youthful fire into the fledgling faith. Strahd von Zarovich had slaughtered the young clerics family when he was buy a boy, and Sasha swore to hunt the Count's undead spawn and extinguish their evil. Sasha's personal quest for vengeance evolved into a secret doctrin for the cult, a charge for the pure of heart to hunt down and slay Barovia's blackest, the vampire. This mandate, known as the Midnight Clarion, is one of the cults most jealously gaurded secrets. Curiously, the Clarion also demands mercy for afflicted lycanthropes, though the roots of this tradition are lost.

It's my understanding that the Dawnslayers endgoal is the destruction of Strahd, not just random vampires, and they work toward this goal albeit slowly and quietly to maintain their distance from the church.  I'm pretty sure that Strahd wouldn't be too keen on letting them go about their business if he knew they existed.
Characters:

Prospo Ivernu
Nicolea Bratu

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2012, 04:49:07 AM »
Do Strahd drink blood?

Why do the Vistani work for him? Or do he work for the Vistani? Who is the one controlling the other?

aprogressivist

• The Wayfarer Kinship
  • Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2012, 05:29:30 AM »
Do Strahd drink blood?

Well, he doesn't drink... vine.

Why do the Vistani work for him? Or do he work for the Vistani? Who is the one controlling the other?

It always struck me as a kind of alliance of convenience.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2012, 09:52:40 AM »
budly..honestly what vampire can retain its powers without blood?   i'l slap you if you say blade he was a halfer.

but potm/ravenloft vamps   they all need blood so the count is no difrant.

this topic is really intresting so many things nobody gets to know ic  its a shame.

Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2012, 11:46:53 AM »
Not all vampires drink blood, but Strahd does.

The Vistani have an alliance with Strahd. He gives them safe harbor in his lands (thus why shedding Vistani blood is an executable offense), and they tell him about everything that they see.

Blue Bomber: The Justice, Not You, since 2002.
Averted the Oozepocalypse of 2011

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2012, 12:14:40 PM »
Thank you for those answers.

I find it funny how people laugh at me for asking that when the guy takes the freaking sun rays with pride upon his face.

DM Dread

• Developers, Dungeon Masters
  • Community Council
  • Dark Power
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2012, 01:46:40 PM »

It always struck me as a kind of alliance of convenience.

Basically, the Vistani, particularly the Zarovan tribe, is given a safe place to live and the personal protection of the Count (in other domains, the Vistani receive a much more, uh, frosty welcome - look at Invidia for an example) in exchange for serving as his eyes and ears.

E: Just realized Richter up there beat me to it  :soth:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 01:48:52 PM by DM Seraphim »

BalorVale

• Undead Master
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2012, 02:42:45 PM »
When defeated in singular combat he's also compelled to say "BEHOLD MY TRUE FORM AND DESPAAAAIIIIR!" then turns into some demonic creature before being beaten again and again by the same bloodline of vampire hunting, whip-wielding dominatrix's. Fact.

HUUUUMAAAAANNNSSSS.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMTizJemHO8[/youtube]
So the only way to beat Strahd..... is to become the ultimate non-powerbuild whip Weaponmaster!

Rave

• Undead Master
  • Shoo!
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2012, 03:02:12 PM »
Vampires can drink other things besides blood. Dr. Daclaud Heinfroth drinks cerebral fluids from its victims.

As for the vistanis, what I find ironic about about Invidia and their strict anti-vistani policy, is that its mostly been dictated by their Vistani born rulers. In one way or another, the Vistani are connected to a lot of stories and domains.

Rave

• Undead Master
  • Shoo!
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2012, 03:09:39 PM »
When defeated in singular combat he's also compelled to say "BEHOLD MY TRUE FORM AND DESPAAAAIIIIR!" then turns into some demonic creature before being beaten again and again by the same bloodline of vampire hunting, whip-wielding dominatrix's. Fact.

HUUUUMAAAAANNNSSSS.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMTizJemHO8[/youtube]
So the only way to beat Strahd..... is to become the ultimate non-powerbuild whip Weaponmaster!

Actually, I think the only person in existence that can stand a chance against Strahd, would have been Meredoth Darklord of the Noctural Sea. His special defences is
Special Defences       Immune to attacks from undead

But then again, Strahd is a master strategist and a genius, so he would most likely find a plan around Meredoth's defenses, too. 

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2012, 03:11:59 PM »
As for the vistanis, what I find ironic about about Invidia and their strict anti-vistani policy, is that its mostly been dictated by their Vistani born rulers. In one way or another, the Vistani are connected to a lot of stories and domains.
There's a reason for that. Malocchio is trapped within Invidia's borders by a Vistani curse. He believes that if he kills all the Vistani in the demiplane they'll no longer be powering the curse...and if that doesn't work he'll at least have his revenge against them for trapping him.

Talek

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2012, 04:03:18 PM »
this is why I/we all <3 blue, not only for his knowledge on Strahd but for everything else ravenloft related.

kanedellesk

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2012, 04:25:18 PM »
I like to think of Strahd as wearing a tuxedo t-shirt. Cause I like to party so I want my Strahd to like to party.

I like to think of Strahd as a ninja, fighting off evil samurai!

I like to picture Strahd singing lead vocals for Lynrd Skynrd. With like a big angel back up band. And I'm in the front row just hammered.

Well, I'm the one saying this grace and I like the Baroviamas version so I'll say grace to Baby Strahd.

Blackhound

• Outlander
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2012, 05:07:57 PM »
I like to think of strahd like a muscular trapeze artist.
I like to think of strahd like a dirty old bum. He's comin' up to me, and I'm 'bout to sock him one, cause, you know, he's a dirty old bum, but then I say, "Wait a minute, there's something... I don't know, special about this guy."
I like to think of strahd like a shapeshifter, or a changeling, like that guy--You ever hear of that TV show Manimal?

Dear Lord Baby Strahd, lying there in your...your little ghost manger, lookin' at your Baby Einstein developmental...videos, learnin' 'bout shapes and colors...

Metal_ash

• Dark Lord
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2012, 05:10:48 PM »
There was a time when you could learn a bit about Strahd and that he is a Vampire and also some of his background down at the Alhoon Kir'thalax if you had good enough lore.
At least if you are to trust in the words of an Alhoon

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2012, 05:13:09 PM »
Let's keep the jokes to the tavern, guys

kanedellesk

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2012, 10:12:47 AM »
Sorry, Blue. I thought that since the Castlevania jokes were ok, mine would be too. But you're right, and I'm . . . less right. Jokes in the tavern for me.

But I do have a serious question for Blue, the DM team, and even the Devs. A new line of novels set in the Demiplane of Dread are supposed to be coming out at some point called Ravenloft: Dominion.. I have the first one, but haven't got around to reading it yet. From what I've heard, and this is just from the internet so who knows how true it is, the novels are going to change quite a bit about the lands and darklords. Strahd is supposed to be changed somehow or another, some darklords get killed, domains merge, new domains form, cats and dogs live together, etc.

So my question is, if the Dominion novels change things like that, will POTM consider them canon, especially the "new" Strahd? Will there be player-involved plots to help explain the changes? Or will they be listed as non-canon "imaginary stories"?

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2012, 10:19:07 AM »
There was a time when you could learn a bit about Strahd and that he is a Vampire and also some of his background down at the Alhoon Kir'thalax if you had good enough lore.

You could also  have learned the truth about Strahd from the woman in the mage's tower.  For an escalating price starting with 10 vampire hearts, the price got steeper, but the information got more detailed. 

I thought it was a terrific quest and was sorry to see it go in that form. 
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2012, 12:04:27 PM »
Sorry, Blue. I thought that since the Castlevania jokes were ok, mine would be too. But you're right, and I'm . . . less right. Jokes in the tavern for me.

But I do have a serious question for Blue, the DM team, and even the Devs. A new line of novels set in the Demiplane of Dread are supposed to be coming out at some point called Ravenloft: Dominion.. I have the first one, but haven't got around to reading it yet. From what I've heard, and this is just from the internet so who knows how true it is, the novels are going to change quite a bit about the lands and darklords. Strahd is supposed to be changed somehow or another, some darklords get killed, domains merge, new domains form, cats and dogs live together, etc.

So my question is, if the Dominion novels change things like that, will POTM consider them canon, especially the "new" Strahd? Will there be player-involved plots to help explain the changes? Or will they be listed as non-canon "imaginary stories"?
That line of novels was discontinued in 2009. The few that did get published didn't change anything other than add a few new "Island of Terror" domains.

You could also  have learned the truth about Strahd from the woman in the mage's tower.  For an escalating price starting with 10 vampire hearts, the price got steeper, but the information got more detailed. 

I thought it was a terrific quest and was sorry to see it go in that form. 
It ended up being FAR too easy for people to get that information and it spread way too fast. It would have painted a big fat target on Athina's back, and she's way too cautious/paranoid to give the information that freely. You can still get the information from her if you have a copy of the Tome of Strahd.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 12:07:43 PM by Bluebomber4evr »