Author Topic: The Elves of Ravenloft  (Read 9244 times)

TimmyTheNerd

• New to the Mists
Re: The Elves of Ravenloft
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2016, 09:23:11 PM »
New player here. Was wondering if Dusk Elves are acceptable on the server. I am currently going through books as I gear up to host my local store's Adventurer's League starting next month with Curse of Strahd, they've been hurting for a DM due to the last one leaving the store. The Dusk Elves (Their companion PDF can be found here for freehttp://www.dmsguild.com/product/177846/Dusk-Elves-A-Ravenloft-Subrace?filters=0_45507_0_0_0_0_0) are mentioned in Curse of Strahd. However, I can't find any mention of them elsewhere, even through google, so I'm a little worried if I make a Dusk Elf, I wont be allowed to play it.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2016, 02:56:38 AM »
New player here. Was wondering if Dusk Elves are acceptable on the server. I am currently going through books as I gear up to host my local store's Adventurer's League starting next month with Curse of Strahd, they've been hurting for a DM due to the last one leaving the store. The Dusk Elves (Their companion PDF can be found here for freehttp://www.dmsguild.com/product/177846/Dusk-Elves-A-Ravenloft-Subrace?filters=0_45507_0_0_0_0_0) are mentioned in Curse of Strahd. However, I can't find any mention of them elsewhere, even through google, so I'm a little worried if I make a Dusk Elf, I wont be allowed to play it.
Curse of Strahd is set in BC 735 (about 30 years before the present day) and it states that all the female dusk elves were killed. They're effectively extinct.

Blue Bomber: The Justice, Not You, since 2002.
Averted the Oozepocalypse of 2011

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2016, 12:15:05 PM »
I would also caution everyone to be careful in using 5th edition D&D Ravenloft lore. At least until the PotM staff had time to review it and evaluate how well it could be adapted to the server. Game mechanics or lore continuity issues may occur. WotC/Hasbro has to retcon elements of the setting to fit the latest iteration of D&D. We don't. That being said rest assured that the 5th edition content will be evaluated and in due time we'll let you know what is, or not, acceptable for the module.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 12:16:48 PM by MAB77 »
Best Regards!
MAB

Proud member of the Dev team, kindly working nights and days to bring you all more creative ways to slay all your PCs, faster and more efficiently!

Kendaric

• Undead Master
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2016, 05:18:28 PM »
I would also caution everyone to be careful in using 5th edition D&D Ravenloft lore. At least until the PotM staff had time to review it and evaluate how well it could be adapted to the server. Game mechanics or lore continuity issues may occur. WotC/Hasbro has to retcon elements of the setting to fit the latest iteration of D&D. We don't. That being said rest assured that the 5th edition content will be evaluated and in due time we'll let you know what is, or not, acceptable for the module.

Is there even any material besides Curse of Strahd (which is basically the old "Expedition to Castle Ravenloft")?

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2016, 06:12:08 PM »

Is there even any material besides Curse of Strahd (which is basically the old "Expedition to Castle Ravenloft")?
Curse of Strahd is not like Expedition. It acknowledges the Ravenloft setting, although it does change some minor things.

TimmyTheNerd

• New to the Mists
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2016, 12:52:29 AM »

There's the Dusk Elves Free PDF. Curse of Strahd module. Unearthed Arcana Gothic Heroes (Just Archetypes for Rogues and Fighters that fit in Ravenloft). Curse of Strahd Character Options (Which you can get for free and don't need to buy the Curse of Strahd module), it's just a new Background for Ravenloft native characters.

Truth_USMC

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Undead Master
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2016, 01:45:00 PM »
This may have been asked before so sorry if its a repeat but, how is it the elves of Ravenloft worship the celtic pantheon?  Their main domains they live in are Sithicus and Darkon, where that religion doesn't appear?  I'd be curious to know.
'Smile, be polite and have a plan to kill everyone you meet" -Marine saying

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
  • Do you think this is a #&^&ing game, domn?
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2016, 01:59:31 PM »
This may have been asked before so sorry if its a repeat but, how is it the elves of Ravenloft worship the celtic pantheon?  Their main domains they live in are Sithicus and Darkon, where that religion doesn't appear?  I'd be curious to know.

I don't think it's so much the PC Elves as various NPC factions of 'fey' that worship the Celtic pantheon.
Fane Silivasi / Edwin Aubert / Marianne Sondheim / Nelu Stoichita
Ata Ubaid / Bruhm Blackwrought / Craven

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2016, 10:51:08 PM »
They don't worship the Celtic pantheon.

herkles

• Dark Power
    • Herkles's Portfolio
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2016, 11:05:34 PM »
They don't worship the Celtic pantheon.

actually they do blue

Quote from: Domains of Dread
If one were to draw an analogy to human history, elves would be most like the ancient Celtic, Gaelic, or Welsh cultures. Because of that, they usually worship gods from the Celtic pantheon. To be sure, names like Genevieve, Ernan, and Moran are most suited to the elves of Ravenloft.

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2016, 11:20:48 PM »
I knew I should have checked before posting. :facepalm:

Anyway, Sithican elves are Silvanesti from Dragonlance and thus used to worship the Krynnish gods before they decided that the gods abandoned them.

Native Ravenloft non-Sithican elves worship Celtic gods, but they are a very small part of the population of the demiplane.

As a note, the writers of the 3rd edition version of Ravenloft dropped the elves worshiping the Celtic gods/dwarves worshiping the Norse gods thing from Domains of Dread, which is the reason those religions aren't listed in the Domains -- they didn't list the major religions for each domain until 3rd edition.

Truth_USMC

• Undead Master
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2016, 06:14:12 PM »
Got it, so what domains would those elves following the Celtic pantheon hail from?  This is my confusion because I'm contemplating a new elf cleric soon, and I like playing only characters from the core.  So I would need to know which Domain they'd come from, you'd think Darkon off the bat but the Celtic pantheon hasn't spread there.  Tepest? Which is where the pantheons big but i don't think the have an elven population unless I'm wrong.  Am I missing any other native elven cleric options?

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2016, 10:14:17 PM »
Basically any domain besides Sithicus.

Arcibel

• Undead Slayer
  • Native or Outlander?
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2016, 04:50:16 AM »
I have a question people. In this server you have nordic divinities as odin, thor etc... Have you think in add the nordic elf ? and in his case the nordic half-elf. An elf of alfeim(the world of elves in norse mythology) could be in ravenloft, and probably  is playing with the elf of forgotten realms.

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2016, 10:14:25 AM »
No, Ravenloft's elves are either Celtic or in the case of Sithicus, from Dragonlance (which are kind of a mixture of Celtic and Greco-Roman cultures).

Arcibel

• Undead Slayer
  • Native or Outlander?
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2016, 12:18:29 PM »
No, Ravenloft's elves are either Celtic or in the case of Sithicus, from Dragonlance (which are kind of a mixture of Celtic and Greco-Roman cultures).
It's not posible come from the worlds of norse mythology(as elf)? The concept of elf comes from there.

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2016, 12:53:35 PM »
It's not posible come from the worlds of norse mythology(as elf)? The concept of elf comes from there.
I'm not aware of any D&D world with Norse-themed elves, but that's off-topic for this thread. This thread is about elves native to Ravenloft.

Truth_USMC

• Undead Master
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2016, 11:56:08 AM »
Is it possible to have Sithican clerics from the dragonlance pantheon?, even though they think their deities abandoned them?

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2016, 03:50:00 PM »
It's purely conjecture from my part, but I would say no. The Gazetteer information about their beliefs shows a warped version of Krynnish religious beliefs. This suggests to me that the original Sithican's either had their memories warped by the Dark powers at the time of their arrival, or, more likely, the original Sithicans are creations of the Dark powers themselves with the false history implanted in their minds from the beginning. Either way, a sithican priest of a krynnish god would most likely be rejected by his community.
Best Regards!
MAB

Proud member of the Dev team, kindly working nights and days to bring you all more creative ways to slay all your PCs, faster and more efficiently!

Zwickelfaust

• The Gorefist
  • Dark Power
  • Personal Text
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2016, 04:05:09 PM »
Wasn't most of the stuff in Sithicus created by the dark powers as a mockery of Krynn to torture Lord Soth? If I remember correctly, he wasn't too fond of elves.
Hjorta- Seidr
Allek Mars- Dawnbringer

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2016, 04:33:36 PM »
He blamed the elves for his failure