You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Côte Poisson - Connaissance est Puissance  (Read 30534 times)

Psyche

Re: Côte Poisson - Connaissance est Puissance
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2009, 03:56:44 PM »
Little has happened, and for this, perhaps I am thankful. But the apprehension is ever-present, I feel the pressure dropping, like a squall approaching from the sea, soon will my life be battered by storms. The opportunities for bandying words with Marle have diminished; I suspect our dialogue has broken down, and with it, any opportunity to undertake a more thorough medical, or spiritual diagnosis. Her affliction appears as consumption, the chronic cough, chills, night sweats.. are all common markers. But the 'stigmata', of course - deep lacerations in prayer, speak not of a pathology but a spiritual affliction. I can no more confirm nor deny my speculations without further infomation; and though I have buried myself in the Presses' archive, I have been unable to locate that copy of the Madrigorian for more analysis of its frightening parallel. I shared my thought with my my anonymous sponsor, but he seemed nonplussed. Indeed, the link is tentative, but compelling. As I wait for the response of the archivists on the belongings of Kristovich and Riendeaux, I continue to seek Dr Van Richten's work on 'Fiends' as he puts it; perhaps there may be something in there of revelance.

Psyche

« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2009, 06:46:24 AM »
for it is the ultimate calling of we mortals to prepare our bodies and spirits through the most debased acts. Only by acting out the secret desires that lurk in the darkest corners of our minds can we rid ourselves of the evil festering within us. Otherwise, we will forevever be unclean, full of impure thoughts and desires. But if we lance the festering boils our consciences create, we might be blessed with the attention of one of the wandering Great Ones. And if we are truely vigorous and do not shirk acting out our innermost evil, then might such a Great One deign to reward us by translating his body with our own. The pain of such a transportation will be glorious in its horror, but only through pain can we be cleansed. Then will we recieve the highest of honours as the Great One will take our place upon this tainted land so that we might enjo our just rewards.

Psyche

« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2009, 07:42:03 PM »
How strange normality is. Selfish as it is, perhaps this Stranga's quandry is precicely what I need to focus my attention; it has become easy to loose objectivity, scope, resolution, too easy to forget why the Inquisition must shoulder the burdon it does; it is not for ourselves, but for the Anchorites, for the Faithful, that they should never have to know or wonder what we must. It is so the Anchorite can guide, protect, heal, that the Inquisitor must seek, root out, uncover.. suppress. I will attend dilligently to madame Stranga, however; for I am not so dissillusioned nor removed from my duty that I find myself unable to ignore her, when in need.

Psyche

« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2009, 09:21:18 PM »
Ambivalence, that is what i must promote. Marle perhaps already considers me a lost cause. Is her revulsion towards the demonological genuine, or is it a front.. neither, perhaps.. the fear, haterd.. seems irrational.. a programmed response, if she, so broadly-minded as seems to think, is willing to close herself off so intently, may this be, as Dr Van Richten has described; the melding of the mind of Marle and the demon; protecting itself.
The revelation of my apparent elevation will not go far to endear her to me, but I welcome it; a disruptive, question-producing influence. For a little while, she shall question my motivations, task, purpose, drive, and that will make her off-balance, and off guard.
Her response to the Madrigorian passage was weak, symptomatic of a mind desperately compelled to shun the demonological, quickly turning back to dogma; I am no less convinced than i was, but eagerly await the opportunity to discuss its providence with both Bellamonte and Veritas.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 08:00:17 AM by Psyche »

Psyche

« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2009, 09:45:20 AM »
'I believe you'.
Indeed, it seems my sponsor is the very picture of the agent provocateur, but what is he trying to incite? Perhaps cementing himself in Marle's affections, or do i credit him with too much integrity? Afterall, the burdon of truth is a terrible burdon indeed, and given his penchant for theatrical melodrama, perhaps this is a too-telling sign of his sympathy. But perhaps not. In either case, the man is hardly answerable to me, but it is enough to cause distress in my gut.
I know, in time, when the memoirs and cases of this period of church history are written, will my sucessors question how such amicable terms could be appropriated with the Wurtbeich heretics.. how this very journal may become the basis of another young, inquiring mind's investigation.
I hope posterity judges me well.

Psyche

« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2009, 10:55:29 AM »
Encouraging, once more to discuss the vaguries of faith that have become so commonplace in my discussions with non-members of the church. Refreshing, then, to return to the familiar, however difficult the concepts, for it is, in comparison, so simple to the dilemmas in morality and ethics I am now plagued by in my day-to-day duties. A change is as good as a rest, as the addage remarks. So too, is it refreshing to bury myself in the discussions and debate of the Presses, though perhaps some of the topics relate all too much to my lines of enquiry. Perhaps it is time to confront Du Bourg more directly, shock from him an answer. But I shall wait, tactically, until what secrets are held in Riendeaux' grave are revealed.

Psyche

« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2009, 07:52:08 PM »

Farewell Port-a-Lucine. Come morning, I shall entreaty the Vistani adjacent to take me to the Tser Pools come morning. Hence I shall overnight at Midway Haven, before making my way in earnest to Vallaki. Though it is with a heavy heart, and mindful view of my responsibilities here, I feel there is nothing more I can learn for the time being. The archivists will inform me, when they have recovered any documents, of what they have found. Until then, there is little point in remaining simply to bandy words with Marle and endure Lilindi's vitrol. When developments arise, I will return.
I long to see the smiling faces of my friends once more; I hope they are not too weighed down by their burdons.. that in their company I might forget mine for some time. And I hope that, though I cannot make it their burdon to share also, they may know something that may help.
Soon, Vallaki.

Psyche

« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2009, 03:11:36 PM »
If I was in danger of forgetting the bitter embrace of winter, Barovia has reminded me. So too, have I been reminded of the perils of the night also. I had not been here a matter of hours before assisting my first vampire victim. It seems Warden Ward does not exaggerate the extent of the troubles in Barovia. And how bold does the Wurtbeich disciple come to and fro, spreading his word ineptly as they are want to do. Fortunate, nevertheless, Marle continues to attract the weak-willed, the damaged, the idiotic. A shame, however, that Warden Ward's tendancy to inaction has not evaporated, but perhaps soon, things may be seen to.

Psyche

« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2009, 08:01:38 AM »
In the case of Barovia, absence does not make the heart grow fonder. Despite my physical departure from the new home of the Wurtbeich Cult, such mental departure is not possible. Androvia. Regiate. The Ghola. Reports of Marle's beligerency in Port-a-Lucine. The Mission's penchant for diplomacy is ever-present.. perhaps, as they say, it is pointless to seek them out when their coffins persist in unknown locations. I can take no unilateral action - I am at the Mission's disposal, not its master, nor can i jepoardise it by acting foolishly. Perhaps this is some of the frustration Vasten felt - knowing one has the capacity to act but is unable to do so.

Psyche

« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2009, 08:46:43 PM »
Progress. Marle is alive, despite the apparent best intentions of the anonymous shadow-stalker that approached Warden Draven and myself. But I am unsettled. Sentiments I have heard this night from Marle sit uneasily in my mind; not just from my personal perspective.. the 'secret revelation' she proposes is in defiance to everything I feel as an Erudite, and as an Ezrite.. but I am shocked too, that she considers it possible, plausable, or decent. The Revelations are for the good of all those who accept Ezra into their hearts.. and the Rite of Revelation does not exist for her personal gratification - the fallacy of the Wurtbeich Heresy nonwithstanding, how, even in theory she dares to think it, is shocking. Perhaps it is out of self-preservation.. in some attempt to mitigate the damage, upon failure.. to save her own skin, as she surely knows the consequences. Doubt, there is doubt in her mind; but what has caused it?
The irony is not lost on me; how I preach for openness, that Marle cannot be audacious as to claim she 'knows better' or can dare to say what the laity may or may not know.. but how far removed is the Inquisitor from this mentality? Despite how I may phrase it, my duty is to keep secret from my friends and brothers and sisters in faith things that mar the history of this church.. who are we to say what the clergy can know? What pride, what secrecy threatens to undo us; those things we preach against as Anchorites. We are the nessecary sin.

And so that final theme peturbs me, greatly so. Marle's faith was ever zealous.. and doubt, as she has said, is unbecoming. What of this thing that she pupports to be undoing her work; moving unseen and unheard, but with some great effect to ruination. I would be guilty of indictive reasoning to say what it screams to me - the demon amongst us.. but.. to see Marle truely afraid.. paranoia has not appeared part of her pathology. I suspect that her faith in Wurtbeich's innocence stems from this same root.. she must be convinced.. I can feel it.. that some great leap foward in understanding lies only a step away.

Psyche

« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2009, 07:54:49 PM »
The Necessary Damned

I divide my time between Vallaki and Port-a-Lucine now. My dabblings in alchemical sciences have come to little fruition as of present; of the large number of resources used and expenditure made I sucessfully created only a single viable sample. I am forced to continue to collect and experiment, if my ultimate scientific expertieise and understanding of the subject is to improve - and to realise my ultimate applications. There has been no progress on the Madrigorian, nor of the effects of Father Reindeux or Kristovich. With luck, I will be able to meet with Inquisitor Veritas soon, and through penetration of his clouded mind, perceive a historical narrative that might provide context, or deeper udnerstanding of the demon.
I continue to read carefully Dr Van Richten's demonological text - I hope that a full copy of the Madrigorian texts will supplement my understanding of possession; I am, as yet, without the tools or opportunity to diagnose Marle, spiritually.
Vallaki's vampires seemed to have quietened, or taken their activities beyond the sphere I can question in the Ouskirt-frequenters I know. Perhaps it represents a genuine trend; perhaps there is merely a conspiracy of silence.
I am fortunate to have at least an avenue of discussion in the breif encounters with the Vardo Captain - should I require materials I am unable to procure personally, or any other matters that may require a less than conventional solutions.
I shall pray to Ezra for patience, and fortitude.   
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 11:09:37 AM by Psyche »

Psyche

« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2009, 11:29:00 PM »
The Red Vardo Traders - facilitators, or a new faction in this story? The leader of this delegation has made a statement; to arrive so boldly, so ostentatiously - anyone with the mind to conduct a secretive meeting could do so without their presence being known.. but without even a facidious forewarning, or cursory visit.. no, it is a statement, a challenge. No, whoever this individual or group are.. they wanted to make it apparent. But why the Vardo? What product, good, service, do they require? And why the Vallaki franchise? Because the Underboss is a member of the Faithful, appeal to his religious sensibilities, assure his complicticy. Perhaps, with luck, the Vardo will assure a facilitation of my own, that this mystery may have clarity.

Psyche

« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2009, 07:07:34 AM »
Though I was not idle in Port-a-Lucine, it is a strange but gratifying to find myself to occupied; even if the nature of the work is distressing. After the sad departure of Templars Card and Kaeyna, and Templar Falon's soon-to-be maternity, to find a young man seeking the role of Temple Guard seems like fortunate providence - The Grand Scheme provides, when we are in need.
Last night's visitation was a curious affair - one that warmed me, for the devotion to his wife, but also concerned me deeply. Marle's silver-tongue seems not to have suffered many ills of late, and, what of the risk of recruiting such a powerful and influential, indeed, one of the most influential ,women in vallaki.. chills me.

Psyche

« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2009, 12:27:17 PM »
Once my commission is completed I will depart to Port-a-Lucine presently, in search of Anya, and in the hope that nothing unfortunate nor stupid has occoured on her part or on that of Winterlass. This is not merely an opportunity to foster strong relations with Vallaki's Vardo franchise but to demonstrate the point of the Church in the protection of the Faithful - when so mired in politics can the exercising of our duty be a comfort.
I have decided to begin my medical memiors - perhaps I will see to the publication of field manual volumes, but for now I will settle with a submission to the Presses

Psyche

« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2009, 06:56:29 PM »
It appears Veritas is at risk of totally loosing the power of reason. If anything granting such a man lacking in faculty the power of Inquisitor has increased his mania and beliligerency. Neverthess, despite his momentary insanity some useful discussion was held beforehand. If Drigor seeks such attention as Veritas suggests, then in Bellamonte, and I suspect in the anarchist-poet cafe circuit of Port-a-Lucine, perhaps another peice of the Madrigorian-Wurtbeich dynamic. Soon too, I hope the maps to Foucalt's library may find their way to me. What tactic with Veritas though? Inclusion, exclusion, limitation? The man is a liability, perhaps worse.
Curious encounters in the caverns.. I am unsure whether to anticipate another visitation of this female voice, with its flash and thoroughly convincing tricks.

Included below is a sketch of a cave mouth, banks of whiteness indicaing fog, mist or cloud, with a bulky, but otherwise featureless humanoid figure emergent from it.

Psyche

« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2009, 02:16:52 PM »
At last, news. But no news ever comes without an ill wind. The Ste. Mere des Larmes archivists seem to have found something; but the summons from the Bastion herself, whilst ever-encouraging that my work is of value to the greater faith.. makes me uneasy, especially given her waning health. The Toret is correct; I have 'much on my plate' - many avenues for inquiry.. these documents.. the Madrigorian.. Bellamonte.. The Bastion's declining health may precipitate a lengthy stay..
But the Toret has worried me. What moves at la Cathedrale? What of the 'heavy heart'? What has frightened him so to bend the confessional relationship, for only, truely the most dire of circumstances would warrent it..
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 04:45:06 AM by Psyche »

Psyche

« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2009, 06:47:57 AM »
I cannot afford to keep the Bastion waiting any longer. I intend to depart for Port-a-Lucine forthwith. It is with a heavy heart I must postpone my commitments here; the training of the Templar Initiate and Cartier's lessons, but, where Ezra leads, I do follow, and for now, this is Port-a-Lucine. After consideration of Van Richten's account of Drigor, I hope that, if Veritas is correct and Bellamonte is indeed Drigor's new.. mouthpeice.. that there will be sufficient evidence of it to make a diagnosis. But what if true? It is not the monkey I must speak to.. but the organ grinder.. 

Psyche

« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2009, 07:38:53 PM »
The sea wind is biting in this season; ill-favoured clouds mar the horizon. It reflects my mood. The Bastion is not long for this world, as much as it is painful to admit. Perhaps this is the reason for Toret Pineau's mother-hen clucking.. when he is not called to what may very well be her death bed.. and must find other ways to assert and convince himself of his own relevance. Unfortunate, only in that the delay is akward, I hope it shall not prove to be an irrecoverable loss of time. He is correct of course; my anonymous mentor.. there will be a battle for sucession. As much as I migh to think our stock to be beyond the political struggles of the Borcans, we are as bound by it as any other mortal form. His comments have caused me to wonder.. in Vallaki something dire indeed was alluded to.. and now, the inexplicable feeling of misunderstanding.. what, if any, is the connection with the Vardo? And the Black Cats, what of them? Their artistry at presenting parties cannot be questioned; but these are middle-class and merchant women, those least likely to make expenditure without return. What is the agenda of this curious new group?

Psyche

« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2009, 06:41:09 PM »
Sek L'Vayan Arlev. Only the worthy shall rise.
I am reeling, my head continues to spin. All-but kidnapped, bundled by ship and vardo, extreme expense and personal danger, and arriving, for all of it in a fetid swampland. Sourange. Physical and mental abuses, enforced ignorance.. and for it.. what have I learned?
Perhaps I have done wrong, perhaps I should have placed a bullet in his head when I had the opportunity. Their practices are.. lamentable.. detestable.. or are they? How different is their trial than ours? The ultimate resultis identical.
Kristovich and Riendeaux. Riendeaux and Wurtbeich. Now more than ever I must insist the Bastion be allowed to see me, more than ever must I know the final resting place of Riendeaux' diary. Bellamonte can wait. Foucalt can wait. When Riendeaux and Wurtbeich found the Sourange clergy (The origin of which I may never know, but the incorporation of their local beliefs seems obvious); when Wurtbeich misinterpreted, or manipulated their Trial to the foul incarnation the Wurtbeich Heresy now incorporates.. what was their purpose? What were they seeking, why together.. what did they find? Something that drove Wurtbeich to madness and Riendeaux to suicide?
Who are you Rhiannon Elysia? Another puppet of Drigor, or is it merely a coincidence of convergent thought?
Who am I looking for? Wurtbeich. Riendeaux' legacy. Drigor. Demon. Elysia. Who?

« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 07:30:48 PM by Psyche »

Psyche

« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2009, 06:25:44 AM »
I have met the enemy.
It seems typical he would use such deplorable deception to acheive his ends. At great personal risk, and to that of his cult has Wurtbeich revealed himself to me. I may not know where his fetid chapel is; but I know it to be in Port-a-Lucine - and I know /him/ to be in Port-a-Lucine. Perhaps now it is safe to assume Dragos the Vardo has been engaging in similar subtefuge all-along - the act with the safety of his wife merely to maintain his cover as a devout layman. This, given Anya's apparent infiltration of the Wurtbeich cult, forms a convoluted and inpenetrable web of confusion. I shall seek out Vadim; I shall see what he has to say, what he has for me. And Ezra shall decide his fate.
The words of Wurtbeich do no more reassure me; it is his actions I listen to; he is a desperate man clinging to an edifice of civilised and personable behaviour; morally unsound.. sociopathic. His placations, his intrigues.. do not reassure me; but too much of what I know of his actions comes from handed-down reports made by zealous men. I cannot be sure of his prior actions, but his current mentality I shall base my assessment on.

Psyche

« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2009, 12:48:55 PM »
Blood on my Hands

I do not let Wurtbeich's drug-induced fever dreams affect my judgement. There is no blood on my hands. Those apparitions are nothing more than my insecurities manifesting in the context of my current research. Characters - abstractations on a page, not reality. The Bastion is cast as the demon; she is not the demon.
I must be more reflexive in the conclusions I draw. Mindful of Wurtbeich's manipulations. Layman Vadim is a good man; if not guarded.. he too jealously guards his secrets.. but devotion has persevered. Bailey Dulocq - seemingly our mysterious night-time visitor to the Vardo franchise in Vallaki.. and, assuming Wurtbeich's surveilance cannot be omnipresent - a man with connections to the doctor.. but not intimate. Another level of compexity. Another level of intrigue. I must now decide where to focus my attention - Wurtbeich's past, past travels, past associations.. or the present. Why does a man with connections to Wurtbeich need to know about the undead in his cult? Why does Wurtbeich promote dissention in his own circle?
Why does he want to be found?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 08:34:52 AM by Psyche »

Psyche

« Reply #71 on: December 26, 2009, 07:22:02 AM »
1.1 Who can claim not to have seen the Legions of the Night? By legend or tale or sight, sound or bleeding wound have all known the Legions of the Night.
1.2 They are the Vampire, the Lycanthrope, the spectral geist, the villainous and the vile, their motivations ignoble, savage, basic and selfish.
1.3 But many claim not to know the Mists of Death - claim not to understand them. But this is fallacy, for just as all know the Legions of the Night, so too do all know the Mists of Death.
1.4 For are the Legions of the Night mere flickering shadows of the Mists of Death - shapes cast upon the ground to carry out the will of the Mists of Death in the material world.
1.5 Did not the Mists of Death create the Hollow? Did they not fill it with land and air and water; shape and plant and animal and man?
1.6 Do they not guard their charges with great jealousy?
1.7 For even those that claim to know not the Mists of Death are known by the Mists of Death. Who has not whispered cruel words into the wind? Who has not failed to suppress dark desires, experienced a moment of weakness? For the Mists of Death know these things; they are the ear that listens in the night, the conspirator that sees all ill intent. They are the greatest of deceivers - they cannot be outwitted nor fooled as many maintain. They are the seducers, the manipulators. They are the greatest enemy.
2.1 So how can a man, with mortal mind and mortal intent and mortal weakness hope to stand against such vastness, such alien evil?
2.2 Is it not Ezra that stands in his place? Ezra, who sacrificed herself to bring her blessed divine to the Hollow? Ezra, our champion against the Mists of Death. Ezra, our Guardian in the Mists, who stands between the Mists of Death and the Man, eternally, protecting, guiding and aiding those who choose to welcome her into their hearts.
3.1 Ezra, Our Guardian in the Mist. Be our Light, when in times of Dark all other lights are spent.
3.2 Be our Sheild, as we protect those in your Name
3.3 Be our Guide, as we guide those who have found You
3.4 Through your most holy Revelations, continue to show us your divine Wisdom
3.5 May we be Your Will in every Thought and Word and Deed
3.6 Until we meet your Final Embrace
Amen 

Psyche

« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2009, 12:03:49 PM »
I am tired. What Madame Chevalier says is true. One may sleep in Barovia, but rarely is it restful. It wearies me; the irresistible march of the innane & unnatural. I even begin to loathe the paranoid stares of the locals, Kayne's ignorant bile. I shall pray for patience. The vampire has unsettled me. I duely suspect this 'man' to be the selfsame warlock I disturbed many weeks hence - that vanished in fire and sulphur. But why, what does it need with holy vestments? And if this vampire, as it appears to be, is of Wurtbeich's Black Blades.. then why does it do the bidding of this man? The plot is too opaque, complex. I must rest, perhaps then, clarity. 

Psyche

« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2009, 05:55:11 PM »
It is not safe. And so I have taken flight. Into the arms of the greater enemy - not in person but in ideology. Is that an irony? Perhaps it is best, thereby, that Barovia, and Barovia's troubles, and Barovia's frustrations are no distraction any longer; but they are not far behind me. And I am glad of it; that with impetus does my mind clarify.
For I have had a thought.
What if I have been mistaken? What if, in my inquiries I have done myself an injury, in ignoring something of, yes, simplicity.. but perhaps more complex than we can understand. What great discoveries have been made from leaps of the mysterious engine of human insight? Moreover, what has been lost, or failed to be discovered through ignoring it?

The pen stalls upon paper, as the author's thoughts drift a moment.
Trees. A clearing in a copse, the season is indeterminate, as is much of the surroundings. Though it is day, if only just, sunlight shaded in pastel blues and greys of morning; mists, thick and broad hide all but the camp. A Vistani caravan. Bright vardos, the roaring fire. In his mind's eye, the Inquisitor sees himself, picking his way unsteadily through the weeds and bush and thorns of the underbrush, confused, disoriented, trailing blood on the green, lush leaves, dewy mist spraying as he blunder through. The proud Ezrite-green of his armour stained by his arteries. He steadies himself.. but movement; amongst the wary, aquine features of the Vistani men; the desperate avoidance of the women.. a child, she approaches, and takes the bleeding and weak memory-author by the hand, leading him into the mist once more..
'Come, she is waiting for you.'

Memory dissolves, and then resolves. A different scene. Stacks of books and oddities and curiosities, a vaulted ceiling. The light is ample to read by. The memory of the Inquisitor is sat at one of the many cluttered tables, across from him a man much his senior, threadbare tan coat, heavily-bearded face poking from beneath his hat, lines and creases in his face that read as a map of many years of burden. He is sharing a book with the memory-inquisitor, the succubus that did fool an Anchorite through not but his faith...

A shack - hot and humid, the sounds of insects and amphibians beyond croaking and chirruping in the night. Tallow candles light the room, barely masking the smell of the men that dwell here. One of them lies dead, upon the floor, at the feet of a man who wears an approximation of the robes of an Anchorite. He speaks in creole, the memory-Inquisitor makes decent attempt to translate. There is a gun to the Sourangian native's head. He tells the memory-Inquisitor to shoot him, if he must, if that is what must happen.. he tells him he has the wrong man...

An oubliette of mind and memory, some dark non-place too cloaked in mists. The Bastion is there; she tells the memory-Inquisitor she is dead, that the blood is on his hands.. but then, something different; some terrible, sensuous apparition . She calls to him, to embrace sin..

Night in Port-a-Lucine - black-clad and hooded two men converse. The memory-Inquisitor does beg with the other to release his information.. 'Dulocq', he is told...

My man is in Lekvarest

Psyche

« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2009, 06:17:06 AM »
A short section of transcription follows below.
Carlvian Everhaite. Drigor. Shator. Gehreleth