You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Cult of the Morninglord - Roleplay Resources  (Read 27337 times)

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 04:42:36 PM by MAB77 »

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
Re: Cult of the Morninglord - Roleplay Resources
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 04:43:56 PM »
Overview of the Cult of the Morninglord

Quote from: Ravenloft Campaign Setting
The Cult of the Morninglord was born late in the fifth century, when the faith's founder claimed that when he was a young boy, the Morninglord appeared to him in physical form and protected him from the roaming menaces of the Barovian night. Based on this singular encounter, the Morninglord is usually depicted as a luminous, sylvan humanoid. Although he is formed of soft, golden light, his face is smeared with blood. The cult teaches that this strange detail may be a sign that even the greatest good may hold some evil stain, and even the most depraved evil may yet contain a spark of good.

The Morninglord is the god of the rosy dawn that marks the end of every night. The deity asks little of his followers, save that they treat each other with kindness and retain hope in their hearts. This humble faith holds great appeal for those who have little more than hope and kindness to offer, and the cult is spreading rapidly among the downtrodden Gundarikites of Barovia. Its simple teachings conceal a message of intense hope. No matter how bleak the future may seem, no matter how dark the night, the dawn will come. Many of the Morninglord's followers follow a prophecy that, someday, the Morninglord will return once again to lead the world into the daylight.

The cult may hide more than its optimistic message. One of the cult's founders was a cleric who secretly hunted the undead by night. It is possible that even to this day, the cult's clerics are trained in the methods of battling vampires.

Symbol: A simple, rose-tinted disc of gold.

Favored Weapon: Shortspear.

Quote from: Ravenloft Gazetteer I and Vampire of the Mists
The Morninglord (MORN-ing lord)

Symbol: A rose-tinted disc of gold.

Alignment: Chaotic Good

Portfolio: Hope, perseverance, the dawn, light, compassion, protection, salvation

Domains: Good, Luck, Protection, Salvation, Sun

Favored Weapon: A ray of golden sunlight (shortspear)

The cult of the Morninglord has a relaxed hierarchy that honors those clergy who have founded temples or commited great deeds of sacrifice and bravery. Clergy martyred while serving the cult or its ideals are often canonized as chanticleers by local temples. There is no centralized authority or orthodoxy within the cult, and each temple is autonomous. Rites, liturgies, hymns, and other elements that prove popular at one temple are quickly shared with others in the region. Clergy are charged with protecting others from the minions of evil and bestowing hope through their words and deeds. Clergy of the Morninglord may marry with others of their faith.

Clerics of the Morninglord pray for their spells at sunrise. Brief worship services are held every morning at temples, and lay folk are encouraged to attend at least once a week at their convenience. The cult is often involved in local festivals, but also celebrates its own high holy day, Nevermore Night, held on the winter solstice. Though celebrated under sixteen hous of darkness, the occasion is filled with prayers of hope and haunting a cappella hymns. Clerics of the Morninglord occasionally multiclass as abjurers, fighters, rangers, or witch hunters. The broader clergy includes commoners, experts, and even some warriors.

Dogma: Even the darkest night cannot last forever. Dawn approaches, and you are its herald. You are the emissary of hope, salvation, and surcease. Liberate others from their fear and teach those you cannot release to endure just a little longer. Justice comes to all evildoers eventually, not by man's laws, but by your hand and the tortuous paths of fate. Lift the spirits of the downtrodden with the good news of the Morninglord's coming. Pledge your protection to the unfortunate whenever the opportunity presents itself, and see your pledge through to the end. Destroy the foul undead wherever you find them, for they are the enemies of the dawn.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 05:18:40 PM by EO »

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 05:14:35 PM »
The Morninglord in modern Barovia

Quote from: Ravenloft Gazetteer I
The Morninglord: The cult of the Morninglord, is, of course, Barovia's native religious phenomenon, a faith that sprang up seemingly overnight in the fifth century and has slowly gathered influence ever since. Martyn "the Mad" Pelkar was regarded as a harmless eccentric when he first began proselytizing about the Morninglord. Gradually, with the aid of his first young acolyte, the charismatic Sasha Petrovich, he was able to attract a modest congregation at the Sanctuary of Blessed Succor in the Village of Barovia.

The cult's religious center has moved westward in the centuries since, first to Vallaki and then to Krezk, supposedly at the prodding of unnamed, generous contributors. Many wagging tongues insist that the cult wishes to put as much distance as possible between its most holy temple and Count von Zarovich.

Nearly every Barovian has an opinion on the Morninglord and his faithful. Most ethnic Barovians view the cult with bemusement or cynicism. The Morninglord's message of blind hope in the face of darkness strikes many as foolishly naïve. Some Barovians, particularly the burgomasters, boyars, and their agents, grow suspicious of the cult's popularity among the Gundarakites. Gundarakites seem to cleave a little too close to the cult's uplifting message, and some burgomasters have gone out of their way to prove a link between the Morninglord's devotees and violent Gundarakite rebel activities. Gundarakites, for their part, seemingly cannot help but be drawn like lambs to the Morninglord's cheery promises of salvation. The cult's temples are strongest in settlements where Gundarakites dominate, and in some temples Luktar is even the preferred language for religious services.

The cult of the Morninglord maintains its largest temple in Krezk, the Sanctuary of First Light. The cult's high priest, Harbinger of the Rosy Dawn Samuel Valentin, is regarded as a voice of compassion and reason in Krezk's cutthroat mercantile community. The Sanctuary also houses the Hands of the Dawn Healer, the mummified hands of the Morninglord's first high priest.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 09:43:26 PM by EO »

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 05:22:33 PM »
Rites and Rituals

We thank thee, O Morninglord, for this beautiful dawn and the glory of your new day....

Clerics of the Morninglord pray for their spells at sunrise. Brief worship services are held every morning at temples, and lay folk are encouraged to attend at least once a week at their convenience. The cult is often involved in local festivals, but also celebrates its own high holy day, Nevermore Night, held on the winter solstice. Though celebrated under sixteen hours of darkness, the occasion is filled with prayers of hope and haunting a cappella hymns.

Quote from: Vampire of the Mists
A few busy moments later, the sun rose, little more than a lightening of the greyness. Few in town noticed the difference, but the four huddled in the church bowed their heads in thanksgiving for the dawn. The Morninglord had vanquished the long Barovian night, chased away all the terrors that used the darkness as a cloak. That was no little thing. They passed around the Sun Cup, a gold-plated chalice filled with white wine, and each took a sip. Sasha led the Prayer of the Morning, and afterward they sang a song of praise for another safe night.

Tenets
Followers of the Morninglord are expected to sing a short hymn of thanks each morning. Any follower who willingly violates this can be subject to a powers check.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 09:35:07 PM by EO »

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 05:26:31 PM »
Sayings

We thank thee, O Morninglord, for this beautiful dawn and the glory of your new day....

Demon of darkness! In the name of the Morninglord, I command you to leave this place!

May thy lips be cleansed.

From death, life. There is always another morning. In the dawn, beauty reigns, and the way is clearer.

Dawn rises to burn away the Darkness.

Every Sunrise is new, every birth is different, every beginning is precious.

Walk in the light.

May the Morninglord's glory light your path in the darkest of hours.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 02:27:45 PM by EO »

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 05:53:15 PM »
Hymns and Prayers

Prayers of Dawn

Morning Praise
Beloved Dawnbringer, I thank you for this new day,
filled as ever with Your light and love.
Guide me to use it wisely in Your service,
keeping my steps on the sacred path,
which You illuminate so clearly for those who will but open their eyes.

Guide me to those who need my help,
whether in word or deed.
Grant us the courage and patience to give aid,
to end misery and pain and to seek and stamp out the evil of this world.
Let each act be undertaken in Your Name and be the herald of a new beginning.

Greeting of Dawn
For each new morning with its light,
For rest and shelter of the night,
For health and food,
For love and friends,
For everything Thy goodness sends.

Prayers of Dusk

Sunset Prayer
Oh Morninglord, hear my thanks at the setting of the sun,
for you have bathed me in Your Glorious Light
since the day began,
and given me the will and strength to do Your bidding.

Forgive me for my shortcomings as I humbly ask
that You remain with me through the coming night,
watching over me in the hours of darkness
that I may wake refreshed with hope and courage
to begin Your work anew in the dawn to come.

Healing Prayers

Healing
Glorious Lord of the Morn, Bringer of the Dawn, you shine brightly for your gifts of warmth and sunlight. Please give of your warmth to aid this body and renew its health. I humbly ask for you to cure the ills that afflict this body.

Ritual Of Smearing
In the name of the Lord of Dawn, the Fountain of Hope, the Giver of Joy, the Master of Mercy.....
And by the power of the aqua vitae donated by all those present, faithful servants of thy Glory....
O glorious Morninglord, Giver of Dawn and Hope....
We humbly ask you, release your healing energies on this young woman, so that her Hope may not be lost....
For even after the darkest of Nights, the Dawn shall come....
Thy Lips be Cleansed!
[touches the blood smeared statuette on __Pc's name___ wound]
[calls out mightily] Blessed be the DAWN!

For such is is thy Glory, to allow our meager sacrifice to infuse Hope anew!
Let the blood of the Corrupt, the Taint of Lycanthropy, the Scourge of Humanity begone!

Death Prayers

Morninglordian Death Prayer
O Dawnmaster, support this soul in her last hour by the strong arms of Thy Brightness and the fragrance of Thy consolations. Let Thy Shining Mercy pour over her and let Thy own body be her food, and Thy blood her sprinkling; and let Thy glorious Chanticleers and our own dear patrons smile on me, that in and through them all she may die as we desire to live, in Thy Arms, in Thy faith and in Thy love.

Birth Prayers

Prayer for Birth
Bringer of the Dawn and of Life itself, bless this new Life as it enters this World. Guard this new Life as it begins its journey under your bright Sun. Guide this Life as it walks in your Warmth and Light from this day forth.

Slaying Prayers

Slaying Prayer
Lord of the Morning,
Savior of the Light,
Hear me, I beg.
I kneel before thee,
here in Your Home,
Light on my Face, and Fire in my heart,
I do not Squint looking straight at the the Sun,
I am not blinded by fear,

Oh Morninglord, show Me Your Light,
Guide My Stake!
Shine my Path!
Help me Cleanse the Darkness in their Hearts,
So They May See a New Dawn,
For in the Dawn there is Life again,
For in the Dawn beauty reigns
And the Way is clearer,
for it dispels uncertainty,
fostering the hope of renewal.
It quells fear and its darkness recoils;
For the Morninglord's radiance has come home once more.

Praise the Dawn!

Prayer against Undead
Morninglord, Watcher of the Dawn, Lord of Life, grant me your beacon of holy Sun and turn these wretched abominations from your Light!
Demon of darkness! In the name of the Morninglord, I command you to leave this place!

Praise of High Sun
Oh Morninglord,
I offer thanks for keeping me safe throughout the morning hours, and as the sun rises high at this midday hour I thank You for Your unfaltering light and unwavering love.

Grant me the strength to see the rest of this day to a safe conclusion, giving power to my voice that I may sing Your Praises, and potency to my weapon that I may vanquish Our enemies in Your Name.

Prayer of Slaying
Loving Father. Wise Uncle. Protective Guardian. Font of Wisdom. Morning Dawn.

Morninglord.

A prayer for the unrighteous.
A prayer for the sinners.
A prayer for men with dark hearts.
A prayer for men with dark souls.
A prayer for the unrepentant.
A prayer for every soul which laments it's fate in the Shadows of Death.
A prayer for the damned.

May they Find Forgiveness in Your Light,

Oh Morninglord, hear my prayer.
I condemn this abomination!
This creature of the Undeath,

Oh Morninglord, in your Name,
A New Dawn comes,
From Ashes to Dust,
From death, to life, 
My stake, it will Lay the Drinker to Eternal rest.

Praise the New Dawn!

Nevermore Prayers

Salutation to the Dawn
Listen to the Exhortation of the Dawn! Look to this Day! For it is Life, the very Life of Life. In its brief course lie all the Verities and realities of your Existence. The Bliss of Growth, The Glory of Action, The Splendor of Beauty; For Yesterday is but a Dream, And Tomorrow is only a Vision; But Today well lived makes Every Yesterday a Dream of Happiness, And every Tomorrow a Vision of Hope. Look well therefore to this Day! Such is the Salutation of the Dawn!

Reflection Prayer
The tide of the Night and darkness sway and corrupts; false impressions spread; appearing as reality for those that do not Walk the Light.
The fog is thick; it easily sticks and becomes comparable to Lake Zarovich's murky waters,
Confusion misleads from the truth, a deterrent from reality causing unnecessary stumbling blocks in the road.
The darkness tries to put out the light but your Light oh Morninglord, shines bright in the darkest night.
Thank You Morninglord.
You are victorious!
You will not fail us as your plan will be accomplished no matter what the circumstance.
Though darkness travels, it will fail.
Your Light oh Bringer of Dawn, it will sail.
The immediate is seen, the future unseen, differences in between; all is in your hands, Oh Morninglord.
Thank You for Your Love and Grace,
Thank You for Your Hope and Succor,
Nothing compares to You.
Your will shall be done.
In Your Name,

Praise the Dawn!

Morninglord Prayer to the Dawn
Mighty Morninglord, your light is born for us and the dawn is given to us.
Your eternal Word leaped down from heaven in the silent watches of the night,
and now your Church is filled with wonder at the nearness of the light.
Open our hearts to receive your light and increase our vision with the rising of the dawn,
that our lives may be filled with your glory and peace.

A Shining Path
Shine Your light where my foot will tread,
to wake me when my eyes take rest,
light the way for sword and heart
to follow where You think is best -

Lend me Your strength in times of need;
in darkness, with my heart in chains -
Your light still shines across the sea
and I forget my earthly pains.

A Dawn Prayer
The sun washes over the Land
And the remainder of the Night is gone
As if in greeting It caresses us with his Warm Hand,
And the song of Hopes blends with the Morning breeze with the refrain of the New Dawn.

Morning Sun awake from Night
Morning Sun awake from night
Blessing from Your Power’s might
The corner of my bed holds tight
Wishing to keep out the light
But where glory’s providence be
Let me be held by rays of Thee.
Fly away stars, wishing is gone
Prayer is might, ever so strong
The break of dawn brings the day
When the clouds are cascaded away
Let not one tremble of fear be shown
The warmth of Your light prevails: chill, “BE GONE!”
Happiness shall reign with thee
All sovereign above the trees.

Morning Has Broken
Morning has broken
Like the first morning,
Blackbird has spoken
Like the first bird.
Praise for the singing!
Praise for the morning!
Praise for them, springing
Fresh from the Word!

Sweet the rains new fall
Sunlit from heaven,
Like the first dew fall
On the first grass.
Praise for the sweetness
Of the wet garden,
Sprung in completeness
Where His feet Pass.

Mine is the sunlight!
Mine is the morning,
Born of the one light
Martyn saw play!
Praise with elation,
Praise every morning,
Morninglords re - creation
Of the new day!

Song of Dawn
Dawn approaches, lift your eyes,
look above to light-streaked skies.
Raise your hands in thanks and praise,
to greet the new day's first sunrays.

Praise The Dawnbringer, show your love,
give your thanks that up above
He banishes darkness for our sake,
that we in love His hand will take.

Warming, cheering, cleansing light,
spreading slowly, spreading bright,
we take heart from each new morn,
Thank the Morninglord for for this dawn.

Prayer for Sun
Oh Morninglord,
Shine Your light where my foot will tread,
to wake me when my eyes take rest,
light the way for sword and heart
to follow where You think is best -

Lend me Your strength in times of need;
in darkness, with my heart in chains -
Your light still shines across the lake
and I forget my earthly pains.

Nevermore Night Adoration
For each new morning with its light,
For rest and shelter of the night,
For health and food,
For love and friends,
For everything Thy goodness sends.

Nevermore Night Supplication
Grant me, O Morninglord, a mind to know you,
A heart to seek you,
Wisdom to find you,
Conduct pleasing to you,
Faithful perseverance in toiling for you,
And a hope of finally embracing you.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 06:14:29 PM by EO »

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 06:26:51 PM »
The Time of Unparalleled Darkness

Quote from: Ravenloft Campaign Setting
These are uncertain times for the Realm of Dread. A growing sentiment among its people holds that the world is steadily creeping toward some inexorable fate, but no one knows what that fate will be. Doom prophets speak of the Time of Unparalleled Darkness, predicted to arrive in a scant twenty years, but clerics of the Morninglord proclaim that the long night that fell on Barovia in 351 will finally reach a glorious dawn.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 09:36:10 PM by EO »