You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Spells - Gate  (Read 17764 times)

Rex

• Dark Power
Re: Spells - Gate
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2008, 11:09:27 AM »
Once again, that's IF it's actually a Celestial Being.  You should see what happens to them in the Ptolus setting.  As for here, someone brought up reality wrinkles, and well the reality wrinkle of ANY outsider is extremely irritating to domain lords.  It should be a Strahd Falcon Punch, weather it's a Balor, OR a Solar........Probably work for that pesky Baby having PC thing in that other thread to....  ........~Rex

Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Delphinidae

• Phasing in and out of PoTM
  • Dark Power
  • My poor wererats get no love.
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2008, 11:16:48 AM »
Actually no. The corruption points and land based rituals bind them to the realm to a degree that even if they found a perfectly working portal or artifact to leave Ravenloft, they simply couldn't. But all called creatures are stuck here in the Demiplane of Dread like the other beings.

2nd edition DoD states (pg. 187):
Gate: This spell works normally with one restriction. The summoned creature cannot automatically return to its plane of orgin. It must find its own exit from the Demiplane, just like any other being. This is frequent enough to provoke the creature to seek revenge on the caster.

Third Edition Rulebook states to read the Conjuration, Calling section on page 92:
All calling spells contain an implicit pact between you and the outsider or elemental you conjure: when the creature has performed its assigned task, it is normally free to return to its plane of orgin. Yet the Dark Powers severely restrict escaping to other planes, preventing a called creature from leaving Ravenloft unless it can find an exit, like any other creature. When the called creature attempts to leave Ravenloft after completing its task and discovers it cannot, the pact is broken. You lose all control of the creature, which is likely to feel betrayed. A called creature behaviour once a broken pact frees it from your control depends on the creature's alignment. Evil or neutral creatures might try to destroy you in retaliation.

Now something I'd like, but don't know if it's possible at all, is if all calling (opposed to summoning, since they're different) spells (Planar Ally, Gate) would have the called creature if evil or neutral remain instead of vanish and be no longer under your control and attack the caster. Neutral creatures would roll a d10 to see if they attack or not. But that's just wishful thinking.

Ongoing Plots
Legacy of Blood
The Eye of the McGraths

boompowclash

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2008, 11:21:31 AM »
Good Points!  On the matter of 'called' creatures remaining to attack, before someone says this is out of balance... (since a caster could call Balors to kill them for XP)

...I just wanted to say its a perfectly justifiable way to clean up the hells. *nod nod*

Delphinidae

• Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2008, 11:42:06 AM »
I actually thought about people summoning them just for XP... I think (I'm not sure, I'm just guessing) that you'd either have to script in so they don't give XP or have to create new monsters just for the spells.

Now whether or not that's feasible due to it bogging down resources, I've no idea.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 11:44:37 AM by Delphinidae »

Ongoing Plots
Legacy of Blood
The Eye of the McGraths

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2008, 11:44:14 AM »
Balors a Balor, if you can get XP from the static ones, should get XP for a summoned Hostile one.

~Rex

failed.bard

« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2008, 12:02:32 PM »
  Summoned creatures are never supposed to give XP.  The ability to summon a Balor should up the XP value for the balor when it kills the caster, though.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2008, 12:11:47 PM »
  Summoned creatures are never supposed to give XP.  The ability to summon a Balor should up the XP value for the balor when it kills the caster, though.

Right, should have clarified.  Some one summons Balor.  Balor, gets Pissed, kills Summoner.  Balor now a wandering Monster worth XP until Server Crash/Reset flushes him.

~Rex

kanedellesk

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2008, 04:10:37 PM »
Be it known that my post earlier was tongue in cheek and sarcastic, hoped to be taken as a joke. Wasn't, so I'll clarify.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2008, 04:30:01 PM »
Be it known that my post earlier was tongue in cheek and sarcastic, hoped to be taken as a joke. Wasn't, so I'll clarify.

Quick Clarify!  Because TECHNICALLY speaking, Kane hits 20, he could be summoned with a Gate Spell.

~Rex

Grieyls

• Undead Master
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2008, 06:36:43 AM »
Ooo, I can't wait for that  :P

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2008, 10:01:26 AM »
I think some Wizard or Sorcerer or Cleric is going to be Highly disappointed when they Gate in, Kane.
Unless he has Beer.

~Rex

mayvind

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2008, 10:08:55 AM »
  :fortune: :jawdrop: :deal:

Kane is mine !

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2008, 11:45:32 AM »
  :fortune: :jawdrop: :deal:

Kane is mine !

That's Technically a Possibility, once he goes Outsider, and well, would make for an interesting Uber Level RP hook I would think.

~Rex

Delphinidae

• Dark Power
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2008, 03:21:25 PM »
 :bump:

Bumping, just wanting to know if the Gate spell changes allowing it to summon other creatures besides Balors will be implemented, even if it's on the low, low, low, low low priority list.

Ongoing Plots
Legacy of Blood
The Eye of the McGraths

failed.bard

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2009, 09:01:51 AM »
 :bump:

Got talking to Engelfire about this again today, and dug up the thread.  Any news/plans/what-not about this one?

engelfire

• Dark Power
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2009, 09:24:56 AM »
I actually had an idea to alter Gate to summon other creatures in addition to Balors--Pit Fiends, Ultroloths, Solars, Secundus Modrons, and so on. I believe I put it on hold til after the 1.69 patch, so I guess I can revisit the idea now.

hehehe oh Bluuueeeee. Remember when you said that whats above :D Any progress on that? It would be really neat to have variations to the summonings when using Gate
Vino - Who are you calling fat !?
Hekathn - You make a fine collection of bodyparts nnggghhh...

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2009, 03:30:03 PM »
I actually had an idea to alter Gate to summon other creatures in addition to Balors--Pit Fiends, Ultroloths, Solars, Secundus Modrons, and so on. I believe I put it on hold til after the 1.69 patch, so I guess I can revisit the idea now.

hehehe oh Bluuueeeee. Remember when you said that whats above :D Any progress on that? It would be really neat to have variations to the summonings when using Gate
I remember that, there's been no progress, though. I would like to do it someday, though.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
  • Currently playing: Dragoon Sae'rid
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2009, 12:20:05 AM »
If you ever get around to this just wondering but if you sumon a balor and you kill it you should make its godly fire blade dropable but with horrible negitives for being a outsider blade

engelfire

• Dark Power
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2009, 12:21:14 AM »
Yyyyeeaaaahhhhhh..... maaaybe not :D
Vino - Who are you calling fat !?
Hekathn - You make a fine collection of bodyparts nnggghhh...

darkpriest

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2009, 01:47:34 AM »
If you ever get around to this just wondering but if you sumon a balor and you kill it you should make its godly fire blade dropable but with horrible negitives for being a outsider blade

I say, if you want to pull such stunt, ask a DM for assistance and RP some... but don't be surprised if a Balor will whip you left and right and make you his puppet ;)

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2009, 02:18:30 AM »
They tend to spam implosion here. DC about 23? 27? Something like that.

It would be nice to summon within your alignment. Or have some chance for random outsiders to get pulled into the gate.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2009, 04:33:17 AM »
they cast 1 implosion and a ton of other AoE spells, then play KD spamm

and thankfully they don't give xp or alchemy reagents

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2015, 01:44:53 PM »
Prodding this, is this still something that might become a option here? Would really like to see such, as Gate isn't necessarily a evil spell. .  But its single option makes it kinda seem pretty shady for even the most noble and good of hearts :3

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2015, 01:46:35 PM »
LOL Miuo it summons only a demon here in ravenloft.. that's pretty evil :P

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2015, 01:48:47 PM »
Prodding this, is this still something that might become a option here? Would really like to see such, as Gate isn't necessarily a evil spell. .  But its single option makes it kinda seem pretty shady for even the most noble and good of hearts :3

Gate is an evil spell under our current rules, and unless that gets changed, casting it is an inherently evil act.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.