Ravenloft: Prisoners of the Mist
Public (OOC) => Rules, Info, Terms and Core Principles. => Topic started by: Zarathustra217 on November 20, 2005, 10:41:07 AM
Welcome to the mists!
To play, you need the following installed:
1. Core Game
Neverwinter Nights (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neverwinter_Nights) patched to version 1.69. You can download the 1.69 patch here (http://files.bioware.com/neverwinternights/updates/windows/english/NWNEnglish1.69HotUUpdate.exe) (Windows), or here (http://files.bioware.com/neverwinternights/updates/linux/169/English_linuxclient169_xp2.tar.gz) (Linux), or here (http://files.bioware.com/neverwinternights/updates/mac/169/XP2Mac169_English.zip) (Mac). Alternate download here (http://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/patch/169-critical-rebuild-english).
Ravenloft POTM is using NWN which was published by Bioware in 2003. Despite it's age, it's can still be bought from several online stores and remains the best client for online roleplay. You can purchase it as digital download from GoG.com here (http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/neverwinter_nights_diamond_edition). Be aware that if you buy it from GoG.com, you also have to request a unique CD key to be able to play online. For more info, please read this (http://www.gog.com/en/support/neverwinter_nights_diamond_edition/online_play_in_neverwinter_nights_diamond).)
Shadows of Undrentide
Hordes of the Underdark
(these are already installed if you buy the diamond edition linked above)
After having the base game installed, you can either choose to perform the steps below or use our automated downloader and launcher, that you can download and read more about here (http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=43767.0). We generally recommend using the latter option as it will help you with keeping your files up to date.
2. Community Expansion Pack
The CEP is a large collection of NWN community made content that we benefit from here at POTM. It is provided completely for free and will not interfere with your normal NWN experience.
Current Version: 2.61
Download it either at neverwintervault.org (http://neverwintervault.org/cep) (notice that you have to download it in two parts, both the CEP 2.60 and the 2.60 to 2.61 package), or alternatively use our own mirror here (containing a few minor, non-essential fixes): link (https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&confirm=JBTF&id=0B5RrLzggSHINQzNSdDc3RERGYVk) (7-zip only).
3. Ravenloft HakPak (You only need to install one of the two)
HakPaks are NWNs general packaging system for adding custom content. These below contain our own collections of additional content.
Current Version: 2.0b
7-zip version: Link (https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&confirm=sa98&id=0B5RrLzggSHINZUVZQkxtZXJoTUE) (smaller, but requires 7zip (http://www.7-zip.org/) or similar).
Zip version: Link (https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&confirm=R5zw&id=0B5RrLzggSHINTG14QVpDUmYwWmM)
Extract to the base folder you installed NWN (e.g. C:\NeverwinterNights\NWN\ - not the hak sub-folder), overwriting any existing files. Notice that there's both files for the 'hak' subfolder and the 'tlk' subfolder.
4. Extras (optional but recommended. Can be installed later though).
Full package available in .7zip format at our main NWVault entry (http://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/gameworld/ravenloft-prisoners-mist) (look under files)
Alternate download in .rar format: here (http://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/audio/music/ravenloft-prisoners-mist-music-pack)
Core game modification:
Sky Box: http://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/images/texture/ravenloft-potm-override-skybox-v11
Custom GUI: http://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/gui/ravenloft-prisoners-mist-override-gui
Portrait pack with all player posted portraits combined (Optional): http://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/images/portrait/ravenloft-prisoners-mist-portrait-packs
(Credit to Seniies, Maryn, and Lexicon Devil for putting it together)
Entering the server
You will find our server at IP Address & Port: 188.8.131.52 - use it for "Direct Connect" when in game.
For a simpler way to connect to the server, you can download this file (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/16677912/ravenloftpotm.7z) and extract into your NWN folder. Running it will then launch the game for you and connect you directly to the server.
Looking for something else?
Most information about the special features and rules of the server can be found in this forum section: http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?board=134.0
But if you have any further questions, you are welcome to ask on the forums or the DMs in game.
Enjoy your stay in the Mists!
Hints and tips for new players
Even those experienced in playing NWN online may find it difficult getting by here due to the unique experience. Below, you will find a number of useful hints and tips to get by here if you are new. (Notice that you can always access these in game by writing out "@read 9" in the talk channel. Also see your in game journal for other relevant texts).
- Roleplaying in a gothic horror setting generally requires that you approach things with caution rather than blindly charging into the fray. This applies to all aspects of the roleplay - support the atmosphere by being receptive to what it tries to do and take your time to let things unfold. It may be easier and at glance more entertaining to play a fearless hero or villain, but it extinguishes the possibilities for the deep, intriguing and ultimately much more rewarding roleplay to unfold.
- Roleplay of course requires other people to roleplay with. While we encourage you to primarily let the roleplay occur naturally through your encounters with other PCs, these encounters sometimes fail to occur on their own. If you have trouble finding other players and get involved in roleplay, use our "Looking for Roleplay" system to locate others who are also lacking roleplay partners and at the same time allow them to locate you. Use the commands "@lfrp" to opt in and "@lfrp list" to see a list of players currently looking for roleplay.
- Generally, surviving on your own in the lands of dread is not easy and will leave you struggling to get by. A good way to find perduring allies is by joining one of our many factions. For more information, contact a DM, visit our forums or seek them out in game.
- While the natives of Barovia in general are xenophobic and unwelcoming to outsiders, Half-Orcs, Drow and any other beings with "freakish attributes" such as wings, horns, tails etc. are regarded as monstrous and may be attacked on sight. If playing these races or carry such features, it is suggested that you cover your face when entering civilization (by wearing a helmet or hood), or that you avoid it altogether.
- Magic is generally both awed and feared among the natives of Barovia, and will cause strong reactions and even hostility. As such, it's use has been prohibited near civilization in Barovia, and it is generally advised that you are cautious in revealing your magical abilities to natives.